Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pockets bigger back in Alex Higgins days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pockets bigger back in Alex Higgins days?

Alex Higgins made a lot of amazing pots consecutively in this video "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVzr6qWa3Vc&feature=related"
    it is rarely seen even in today's tournament. Were the pockets bigger back in the 70s-80s?

i remember the story of alex and tony knowles complaining in the 80's when they made pockets bigger, saying it was harder to play safe

Comment

Yes Most Tables back then had Bigger pockets, Which Alex did want changed to make them Smaller.

It isnt that Long ago that they changed the Pockets Smaller im sure somebody will have a Close Date to when they did change most Tourny Tables to Tighter Pockets!

On a Rough Guess I would say 10-15yrs ago they started to make Pockets alittle smaller!

Comment

Reminds me of the time I fitted a table in St Georges Hall Liverpool for an exhibition by Terry Griffiths, he arrived looked at the pockets and then climbed onto the table, he couldn't get his knee into the pocket opening and demanded they were cut bigger! Some frantic work with a rubber knife and rasp ensued until he was happy enough to make sure he looked good during the exhibition!
        Billiard Fitters always have time for a nap!

Comment

Originally Posted by gazza147 View Post
          Yes Most Tables back then had Bigger pockets, Which Alex did want changed to make them Smaller.

It isnt that Long ago that they changed the Pockets Smaller im sure somebody will have a Close Date to when they did change most Tourny Tables to Tighter Pockets!

On a Rough Guess I would say 10-15yrs ago they started to make Pockets alittle smaller!
          what i heard was the opposite, the pockets were originally tighter and where made bigger when tv took over the game. for more breaks etc.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ex Enbild Fitter View Post
            Reminds me of the time I fitted a table in St Georges Hall Liverpool for an exhibition by Terry Griffiths, he arrived looked at the pockets and then climbed onto the table, he couldn't get his knee into the pocket opening and demanded they were cut bigger! Some frantic work with a rubber knife and rasp ensued until he was happy enough to make sure he looked good during the exhibition!
            joe johnson did the exact thing when he did exhibition at our club, he came one after noon assessed table had few games. next day he came with the table fitters to make some alteration to the pockets. guessing they were too tight for his liking. he still didnt get a ton on the night lol.

Comment

Originally Posted by mattyshinobi22 View Post
              what i heard was the opposite, the pockets were originally tighter and where made bigger when tv took over the game. for more breaks etc.
              Well ya.. Alex Higgins days had TV, so you just answered the pockets were indeed bigger in his days. Nothing contradictive with what you heard

Comment

That's what I heard. Back in the A HIggins day the pockets were bigger..The tournament tables play so much different these days..
                JP Majestic
                3/4
                57"
                17oz
                9.5mm Elk

Comment

Working...
                X