Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess the table!

Morning all,

I was going to post a picture of the table I have just bought - to see if anyone can tell me something/anything about it. I can't see anything on it to identify it as a make/model.

However, I've just seen at the bottom "You may not post attachments" - so until I'm allowed to post pictures, the best we can do is play "snooker table charades"!

So...

It's oak.
    It's got square legs - although the corners of the legs have a kind of tapered chamfer.
    It's got what I can only describe as "arches" between the legs - a bit like the top of a church window.

If someone can identify it from that - then I really WILL be impressed!! However, I am well aware that I may be describing 500 different makes/models!

Bazil

Few people around here might be able to help. Need 10 posts I believe before you can post attachments. You could try uploading a picture via something like photobucket and posting it that way?

Anyway know nothing about tables but I'm guessing Riley asomethingsomething :P
    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

table

i would guess a riley as well,show me badge an ile tell you lol

Comment

getting close with this one?
        http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oak-Antiqu...4510%26ps%3D54

also
        http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...hotos?p=634470
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Yes - definitely DeanH!

The first one is really very similar - although the arches are a little bit more "rounded" - so it's not quite the same.

I'm afraid I can't see anything on the second link you've added - that appears to be about selling a cue!!

Comment

Upload pic here > http://tinypic.com/?t=postupload

Then Copy code from the list of options (2nd one that says)... > IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards

Paste to post and reply you should be good to go bud...

Comment

Good man! Thanks Cally.

Hopefully this will work...!

Comment

Glad i could help bud..

Lovely looking table/room ..

Sorry i int got a clue what it is but i know i'm jealous.....

Comment

Write that's a nice looking table

Its a Riley prettywoodenpocketedthing!
                  sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Lovely room! Wish I had a bigger house lol :snooker:
                    "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Thanks Guys.

I'm keen to know a bit more about it though:

Make - pretty convinced after DeanH's picture that it's a Riley.

Model - not convinced that it's a Viceroy. Were there multiple flavours of Viceroy?

Then once we know what it is:

Age - any idea how old it might be?

Other - any issues I need to be aware of with this make/model?

Really appreciate your help.

Comment

Rileys were producing two square-legged oak tables in the 1930s which were the the "Viceroy" and "Imperial."

I don't know whether you can see the pockets on these tables, which were for a single ball, removed from the bottom. I actually have a set of these pockets if you are interested in making an original restoration.
                        Last edited by 100-uper; 21 February 2013, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks 100-uper - that's absolutely perfect!

That picture is absolutely spot on. I see the legs are a tiny bit different to the Viceroy in ebay Viceroy picture posted by DeanH - but they are absolutely the same as mine.

Can't believe it's that old - or was it just that they started making them in the 1930's and continued with this model for a long time?

The pockets do look interesting. I have to admit, I'm not thinking of changing anything at the moment. Also - the single ball pockets would drive me nuts!!

Many, many thanks for the information.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
                            Can't believe it's that old - or was it just that they started making them in the 1930's and continued with this model for a long time?
                            The "Viceroy" was produced mainly between the wars (1920-40) but the "Imperial" started production before the first war (c.1908) and continued until production of all tables was stopped for everyone by the 1942 Utility Furniture Scheme. I notice that the brand name was resurrected by Riley Burwat in the 1980s although I can't check whether it was the same design as I am away from my library at the moment. If you have access to Snooker Scene from March 1983 (page 23) there is an illustration of the table they were selling under this name.

Comment

Thanks 100-uper - that's really interesting.

Don't have access to Snooker Scene, I'm afraid.

Comment

Working...
                              X