Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Monsoon View Post
    Checkside,

The push is the action you require. The others are correct. Controlled follow through is essential. Next time when practicing try "feeling the weight" of the cue ball on the tip.

Hard to explain but feeling the cue ball as long as possible as you accelarate works for me!!

Keep practicing - trial and error works
    Thanks Monsoon. I started experimenting with this technique tonight.
    I found I am hitting the ball a lot softer, and it does feel pretty good.

I will keep practising with this method, hopefully the power will develop as I go.

Comment

Originally Posted by checkSide View Post
      What you are trying to do from the moment of the final pause to the "pose" after the cue has stopped moving.
      when it's the final black on a 147, i'd say it would be trying to stop sh*tting your pants

Originally Posted by checkSide View Post

Or perhaps I am just over-analysing and talking rubbish!!
      no comment

no, seriously, try not to think too much. snooker/pool should be natural. there are obviously ground rules, but mostly it comes from 'feel'/within. you'll never improve if you're constantly thinking about the right way to do everything.
      The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
        .....you'll never improve if you're constantly thinking about the right way to do everything.
        Thanks Mike, I definitely have that constant thinking problem.

Comment

most people do. but the game is actually simpler than that. once you grasp the basics of the game, cueball control etc., it should become easier. turn your brain off and 'feel' when you play.
          The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by noel View Post
            Brian... I will definitely tell him and I know he'd be happy to hear that.
            Cliff is a great guy... and you are so right, he truly is a Gentleman.
            =o)
            Noel
            Noel ... if you get a chance, could you ask Cliff about that 147 and specifically, does he remember Big Bill poking his nose round the curtain to watch?

And what are Cliff's other memories of Big Bill?

I'd love to hear, and Big Bill, may you rest in peace ...

Comment

Originally Posted by noel View Post
              Brian... I will definitely tell him and I know he'd be happy to hear that.
              Cliff is a great guy... and you are so right, he truly is a Gentleman.

=o)

Noel
              So, Noel, what cue did Cliff use to make his first World Championship 147? Was it an Adam? What happened to that cue?

What does Cliff do now?

Thank you.
              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

From the final pause, the cue should start moving slowly and build up to accelerate through the cue ball. Stephen Maguire is a great example of this. If you don't practice this then your timing will be off. This has already been mentioned before. I wouldn't confuse things with 'pushing' the ball, just strike it, accelerating through the cue ball. The tip stays in contact with the cue ball very slightly longer on a good strike and it could be compared with a gentle throw of the cue ball, starts slow, finishes fast. If you do that and you keep the same cue plane through the delivery and you keep it smooth and straight then you shouldn't go far wrong. But so much easier said than done.

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                  So, Noel, what cue did Cliff use to make his first World Championship 147? Was it an Adam? What happened to that cue?

What does Cliff do now?

Thank you.
                  PJ...

While playing with Cliff tonight we spoke about this.
                  Yes, his 147 was done with a Adam cue which he still has.
                  He, however, won the World Championship with a Dufferin Trophy cue
                  which he also still has and which is being produced as an exact replica
                  in a signed limited edition of 25 cues celebrating the 25th year.
                  Available in April I think.

Cliff does coaching, exhibitions internationally, plays in tournaments here in Canada... next one is Alain Robidoux's in Montreal... next month... and still plays very well... yesterday he had a 140 break.

=o)

Noel

Comment

Originally Posted by 1lawyer
                    Cliff actually had two 147's in competition. The second one was against Jimmy White in the matchroom tornament I think. Not a lot of people know about that one.

His trick shots are particularly brilliant. I like the one where he throws a red ball down the table places the white in the D and pots it in the bottom corner while the red ball is still moving. What makes it harder is that he does this both the normal way and also with the cue behind his back. Amazing.
                    He can also place the cue ball on the green spot in a direct line with another ball on the bottom cushion and cut that ball into the corner pocket.
                    The chopsticks thing is pretty cool too. Have you seen him make any of these shots Noel?
                    1lawyer... yes. *

=o)

Noel

... Tuesday he taught me a potentially useful trick shot.

...you pot blue getting a misshaped shot on pink... cueball parallel to pink between pink and side rail. Normally I would apply strong running side, pot pink in corner ... cueball runs around 5 cushions ending perfectly on black.
                    (This rarely happens but when it does I treat myself to a pint).

So Cliff says, "Nice shot Noel, but how would... (dramatic frown thinking pause) How would... (looks at me grinning).. I shoot this shot?"

He addresses the cueball like a 9-ball player... potting angle pink to corner...
                    twisted highrise bridge... cue almost vertical... striking cueball at 8 o'clock with force, pink pots while cueball goes airborn bouncing an inch from the side rail, slams into the cushion, checking like a dervish back up to perfect black shape.

I treated him to a "WTF!" bottle of water.

Comment

i've reently started concentrating on the delivery of the cue recently. I got to the point where I had starting to 'hit' the cueball and lost my smooth cue action! I watched the Masters and concentrated on all the pro's cue actions when the TV cameras would allow this...

My conclusion:

The 'feathering' strokes varied quite a bit but virtually all the rest had similarities, the 'draw back' was very slow and precise, the pause was very deliberate and the follow through was a smooth acceleration. :snooker:

I have been doing this in practice ever since and found that even when playing on a slow table i am now getting maximum reaction from the cueball. I'm still getting my timing wrong now and again but i think in a few more weeks i will have it under control and get back to concentrating on the pots, then see a huge improvement in the consistency of my game

Cliff is a fantastic guy. When Embassy sponsered the WC i used to help out in the 'Heritage Room' and once went for dinner and later a boogie at 'Josephines' night club... It doesn't take much to get me to shake my moves on the dance floor but i remember Cliff was right behind me and had a few smooth moves of his own.

Ah well, he won't remember me, but i'm sure he'll remember Roger!!!
                      Highest Break
                      Practice: 136 (2005)
                      Match: 134 (2006)
                      In 2011: 94
                      Centuries made: 50+

Comment

thinsy...
                        thanks so much for your comments and especially for sharing your reminiscences of Cliff.
                        I will pass them along to him.
                        Also, you gave me an idea for a thread encouraging other members to share their snooker stories and I hope it's ok that I quoted you as an example...

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...ad.php?t=15915

Cheers mate!

=o)

Noel

Originally Posted by thinsy View Post
                        i've recently started concentrating on the delivery of the cue recently. I got to the point where I had starting to 'hit' the cueball and lost my smooth cue action! I watched the Masters and concentrated on all the pro's cue actions when the TV cameras would allow this...

My conclusion:

The 'feathering' strokes varied quite a bit but virtually all the rest had similarities, the 'draw back' was very slow and precise, the pause was very deliberate and the follow through was a smooth acceleration. :snooker:

I have been doing this in practice ever since and found that even when playing on a slow table i am now getting maximum reaction from the cueball. I'm still getting my timing wrong now and again but i think in a few more weeks i will have it under control and get back to concentrating on the pots, then see a huge improvement in the consistency of my game

Cliff is a fantastic guy. When Embassy sponsered the WC i used to help out in the 'Heritage Room' and once went for dinner and later a boogie at 'Josephines' night club... It doesn't take much to get me to shake my moves on the dance floor but i remember Cliff was right behind me and had a few smooth moves of his own.

Ah well, he won't remember me, but i'm sure he'll remember Roger!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X