Playing out of turn, four-handed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing out of turn, four-handed

Recently, one of my fellow players has come up with an interesting version of "deciding the penalty" etc, for "playing out of turn" in four-handed snooker. If you would answer the following question it would solve our dilemma. Scenario: Pairs A1 and A2 vs B1 and B2. The reds have all been pocketed and a new player from the A pair approaches the table, pots the yellow, green, brown and blue. Before the striker strikes the cue-ball to attempt the pink, one of the B pair notices that the striker is "out of turn" and states it. The A pair acknowledge the foul. How do you sort out the points legally earned and the penalties?

i'm assuming you mean a player has potted colours yellow to blue on his opponent's turn. If this is the case the colours are re-spotted, the opponent then recieves a five point foul as the blue was the highest value colour fouled and the white will be played from the current position. No points are kept from the foul break

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerloopy_08 View Post
      i'm assuming you mean a player has potted colours yellow to blue on his opponent's turn. If this is the case the colours are re-spotted, the opponent then recieves a five point foul as the blue was the highest value colour fouled and the white will be played from the current position. No points are kept from the foul break
      not sure about that, my guess (and it's only a guess) is, since no-one complained, the yellow, green and brown stand (9 points), the foul was noticed on the blue so 5 point penalty and blue re-spotted ...

Comment

Every shot is condoned as soon as the next is played.

So in your example, the yellow was potted and, as soon as the shot on the green was played, the foul on the yellow cannot be claimed. Likewise the green and likewise the brown.

So the player scores the 9 points in those shots.

He then pots the blue but, BEFORE the next shot is played, the foul is noticed. This means that it is a foul of 5 points and the blue comes back up.

If the other side says "play again" then it is the SAME player who plays again, NOT the player who should have been playing. The correct order of play must thereafter be maintained, meaning that the player who normally follows the guy who played the shot, still does.

Comment

playing out of turn four-handed

Thank you, Mr. Statman for your clarification.....

Comment

playing out of turn, four-handed

Hi Mr. Statman,

I am sorry, but I have re-checked my original understanding of this situation re: if "play again" is invoked...... and I found in the "Billiards and Snooker Referees Handbook" by John Street and Peter Rook..... on page 99 they say that if the order of play is A, B, C, then D...... if B played incorrectly in D's turn and were asked to play again..... B would play again but would be followed by A..... (lines 5, 6 and 7 on page 99)....

Would you mind checking that out for me (us) because we are now confused.

Thanks
            triggerb

Comment

You may be right - I must admit I had my doubts when I wrote it.

I think the ruling states "even though the other player on the offending side may lose a turn" or something like that. Whereas, if you follow my answer above, not only he but a member of the non-offending side will lose a turn as well. So I think you are right.

Anyway, if I looked it up I would be using the same book that you have used – so you have probably saved me the effort!

Comment

Working...
              X