Reasons for missing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Richard pincott View Post

I see where you are coming from and it’s a good example I certainly didn’t a thought too 👍 But besides the pots mostly from the black spot billiards is sort of the complete opposite to snooker and a different mindset. The main objective is the path of the white off the object ball and not the path of the object ball.
    Although where the 2 object balls are or finish in billiards is very important just as where the white finishes in snooker is. The main sighting sequence in billiards is white off the object ball and not the object ball off the white as in snooker.
    Am I right or is it the beer 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺 taking affect lol.
    The main sighting sequence in billiards is white off the object ball in order to put the object ball in position for the next scoring sequence as well as score with your white so you're trying to control three balls rather than two as in snooker.
    Imagine playing snooker and with every pot you also play a cannon, easy to take your eye off the pot and make the cannon and your visit to the table is over but in billiards you don't play the pot if a cannon is involved as you want to keep all three balls where you want them.
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post

The main sighting sequence in billiards is white off the object ball in order to put the object ball in position for the next scoring sequence as well as score with your white so you're trying to control three balls rather than two as in snooker.
      Imagine playing snooker and with every pot you also play a cannon, easy to take your eye off the pot and make the cannon and your visit to the table is over but in billiards you don't play the pot if a cannon is involved as you want to keep all three balls where you want them.
      In snooker, with potting and position the path of the white although very important has to be worked out before you get to the table then literally forgot about when you play the pot. The path of the object ball is the main concern.
      Again like in billiards most safety play requires the eye focus to switch to the white and it’s path. I gauge the overlap and not the spot for most safety. You do have to try and judge with some degree of certainty where the object balls/ball is going to finish but again most of the time the final eye focus is the white off the object ball.

Comment

Most of the time it is pretty simple

We didn't put the cue on the line we thought we did

A good example - long slow shot - as the ball approaches the object ball it looks like it drifted off

It didn't - it is just the white is large in our field of view and its not until it is about 1-2 feet away that we can see it is gonna hit the wrong part of the object ball

The same shot played hard, we don't get to see that, we just see the miss

Comment

Great answer that.
          I play using the spot on the ball to hit method. For me,wether you pot it or miss it the white appears to move away from the ball. You are 100% right.
          The reason being you are aiming what appears to be a big white at a smaller ball so the white is shrinking in size as it approaches the object ball. I don’t actually allow for this in cueing because there is nothing geometrical or related to physics.
          I think it’s purely an optical illusion which you must understand IS going to happen.
          This is where for me I have to trust my eyes original judgment even if the shot appears to be thick or wrong.
          I would imagine this is not such an issue if you pot using the plant ball or ghost method as your sighting is different ?
          Good technical insight 👍

Comment

First league game back last night and my reasons for missing (although I won comfortably );
            -not walking into shots
            -muscle memory pretty low after some time off
            -sticky humid conditions
            -not being able to get myself up for playing very average opponent

this could become a fun thread as the season goes on
            "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Working...
            X