Reasons for missing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post

In snooker though, the dart is the cue and the thing the cue hits (the dart board) is the cue ball, not the object ball. Just saying…
    You must think of the cue ball as part of the cue.
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post

You must think of the cue ball as part of the cue.
      Easier said than done!… for me anyway haha

So when we talk object ball watcher v white ball watcher are we assuming the white ball players ONLY focus on the white? Or is it a bit of both like I have tried to describe? Maybe I’m a crossover player? Maybe there is a third option which is a combination of the two and it’s not so black and white after all!

On a side note, when it comes to what point you pick on the object ball to find the potting angle, does anyone else try and visualize the shot as a similar shot found elsewhere? What I mean as an example, on a colour clearance the angle you have on say yellow to green to then pot green to the green pocket, those angles crop up all the time around the table when in amongst the reds.. So for whatever reason I try to think of the shot as potting a yellow or green during the colour clearance! Another example is brown to blue, when you leave yourself slightly high and you play the blue to the middle with a touch of top and lots of side so the cue ball straightens up off the cushion back for pink into the bottom corner pockets? I’ll visualize the same shot during a break if I come up low on the blue and need to go in and out of borg without hitting Y,G,B. Anybody else do this?

Comment

As far as I know, Steve has it correct. It's just a matter of what the main priority is and whats in the peripheral vision. OB watchers are OB dominant but the CB can be seen in the peripheral vision. CB watchers are CB dominant but the object ball can be seen throughout the shot as well.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Easier said than done!… for me anyway haha

So when we talk object ball watcher v white ball watcher are we assuming the white ball players ONLY focus on the white? Or is it a bit of both like I have tried to describe? Maybe I’m a crossover player? Maybe there is a third option which is a combination of the two and it’s not so black and white after all!

On a side note, when it comes to what point you pick on the object ball to find the potting angle, does anyone else try and visualize the shot as a similar shot found elsewhere? What I mean as an example, on a colour clearance the angle you have on say yellow to green to then pot green to the green pocket, those angles crop up all the time around the table when in amongst the reds.. So for whatever reason I try to think of the shot as potting a yellow or green during the colour clearance! Another example is brown to blue, when you leave yourself slightly high and you play the blue to the middle with a touch of top and lots of side so the cue ball straightens up off the cushion back for pink into the bottom corner pockets? I’ll visualize the same shot during a break if I come up low on the blue and need to go in and out of borg without hitting Y,G,B. Anybody else do this?
          You're a good player so you do look at the object ball, like I posted earlier there is a precise split second moment in time when this is done naturally so don't think about it or it will muck up your game as it did with me.

I never think about certain angles that crop up all the time, as far as I'm concerned every angle is different because the balls are very, very rarely set the same, so I start from scratch so to speak by finding the line of aim between the cue ball and the contact point on the object ball and this is done purely by standing behind the shot and seeing it. Quite often (as a fast player) I'm looking as I'm walking around the table and when I get to the cue ball I already know where it is, forgetting to look is one form of a lapse in concentration.
          On a side note as a dominant left eye over the cue player I find I see the line of aim better if I walk to the cue ball from the right side, I can see the line If I approach from the left but from the right is better, I don't know why, maybe because it is my dominant eye as well as my sighting eye and my brain has chosen it for this reason.
          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

You're a good player so you do look at the object ball, like I posted earlier there is a precise split second moment in time when this is done naturally so don't think about it or it will muck up your game as it did with me.

I never think about certain angles that crop up all the time, as far as I'm concerned every angle is different because the balls are very, very rarely set the same, so I start from scratch so to speak by finding the line of aim between the cue ball and the contact point on the object ball and this is done purely by standing behind the shot and seeing it. Quite often (as a fast player) I'm looking as I'm walking around the table and when I get to the cue ball I already know where it is, forgetting to look is one form of a lapse in concentration.
            On a side note as a dominant left eye over the cue player I find I see the line of aim better if I walk to the cue ball from the right side, I can see the line If I approach from the left but from the right is better, I don't know why, maybe because it is my dominant eye as well as my sighting eye and my brain has chosen it for this reason.
            Sorry guys but I can never understand why people refer to shots as “ angles “
            There are no angles. Every pot on the table is the same regardless of wherever the object ball is or where the cue ball is. Your eyes know exactly where you should be looking because it’s always a fixed picture because nothing is moving.
            You just have to trust them get down and play the shot. If you miss you have done something wrong. Your eyes can’t be wrong as long as you don’t dwell on it and confuse them by questioning their judgment lol.
            Watch any pro they take there time assessing the situation and what shot they are going to play then get to the table and play it. No working out any angles or anything like that.
            please try my practice routine for just 2 minutes and it will prove to you that you will ALWAYS get to the table in the right place if you trust your eyes.
            NO WHITE. put a blue or pink whatever on their spots and stand wherever you like and just think of potting the ball without the white. Stand wherever you like you will always get down in the right place to pot it. Think of running through, stun etc. your cueing and line will always be perfect. It will show you how you should play every shot. Trust me it works 100%

Comment

Originally Posted by Richard pincott View Post

There are no angles. Every pot on the table is the same regardless of wherever the object ball is or where the cue ball is. Your eyes know exactly where you should be looking because it’s always a fixed picture because nothing is moving.
              You just have to trust them get down and play the shot. If you miss you have done something wrong. Your eyes can’t be wrong as long as you don’t dwell on it and confuse them by questioning their judgment lol.
              Watch any pro they take there time assessing the situation and what shot they are going to play then get to the table and play it. No working out any angles or anything like that.
              please try my practice routine for just 2 minutes and it will prove to you that you will ALWAYS get to the table in the right place if you trust your eyes.
              NO WHITE. put a blue or pink whatever on their spots and stand wherever you like and just think of potting the ball without the white. Stand wherever you like you will always get down in the right place to pot it. Think of running through, stun etc. your cueing and line will always be perfect. It will show you how you should play every shot. Trust me it works 100%
              I tried it today Richard and had a max on the first attempt …does it count 😀

Comment

Originally Posted by Starsky View Post

I tried it today Richard and had a max on the first attempt …does it count 😀
                Haha yes.
                Did it work.
                seriously. It’s a fail safe practice of always getting to the table at the right place. Seeing the right line, and cueing nicely.

Comment

Haha yes.
                  Did it work.
                  seriously. It’s a fail safe practice of always getting to the table at the right place. Seeing the right line, and cueing nicely.
                  Tbh , no I didn’t but thats because I had forgotten about it . I’ll try it next time I promise .
                  I’m at a standard where my subconscious knows when I’m not aiming correctly and away for the right line of aim . It’s more the cueing nice and smooth I’m interested in .

Comment

Originally Posted by Starsky View Post

Tbh , no I didn’t but thats because I had forgotten about it . I’ll try it next time I promise .
                    I’m at a standard where my subconscious knows when I’m not aiming correctly and away for the right line of aim . It’s more the cueing nice and smooth I’m interested in .
                    My cueing and aiming excercise without the white will suit you. You only need to do it for a few minutes but treat it seriously and you will understand the secret of the game 😉

Comment

Maybe best tried when the club is empty!

Comment

I was gonna give it a go tonight on my table but I still don’t fully understand where your going with it? I’m I being thick

Comment

I was gonna give it a go tonight on my table but I still don’t fully understand where your going with it? I’m I being thick
                          Possibly …

Comment

My cueing and aiming excercise without the white will suit you. You only need to do it for a few minutes but treat it seriously and you will understand the secret of the game 😉
                            I’ll report back

Comment

That's true but try telling that to a top billiard player setting up a long loser from the D where the 1/2, 1/4, and 3/4 ball natural angle is judged by where the cue tip is pointing at the object ball.

Comment

That's true but try telling that to a top billiard player setting up a long loser from the D where the 1/2, 1/4, and 3/4 ball natural angle is judged by where the cue tip is pointing at the object ball.
                                I see where you are coming from and it’s a good example I certainly didn’t a thought too 👍 But besides the pots mostly from the black spot billiards is sort of the complete opposite to snooker and a different mindset. The main objective is the path of the white off the object ball and not the path of the object ball.
                                Although where the 2 object balls are or finish in billiards is very important just as where the white finishes in snooker is. The main sighting sequence in billiards is white off the object ball and not the object ball off the white as in snooker.
                                Am I right or is it the beer 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺 taking affect lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X