Strange 'Handidness'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
    mcambridge ... in your light hearted vein and in the best of spirits, I think I am prepared to argue my case ...

I have not Googled or Wikipedia'd ... I am 51 years old ... but if I remember my schoolboy days correctly, and I may well be wrong cos it was a *long* time ago ... isn't 1 inch 2.54 cm in new money?

[edit] oops, might have got that the wrong way round - one inch could be 2.45 new money? [/edit]

so 1 cm is surely between 1/4 and 1/2 an inch as I said ... no wonder aeroplanes keep falling out the sky lol ...
    You were right the first time: 1inch = 2.54cm. It strange how the mind percieves one thing, when another was meant. I read your original comment as 1cm was somewhere near 1/4inch and somewhere near 1/2inch, but only chose to argue the 1/2inch case. It was a long and boring shift yesterday...I think my mind had switched off with all the boredom (typical Rolls-Royce!)

Snooker thismorning, then straight on to work untill 9pm, will report back my findings on this case when i get home tonight.

Mark

Comment

Hi guys,

Well thismorning went well, spent nearly 4 hours going through routines.

With the cue under the left of my chin seemed to help a hell of a lot. The angle I saw was [most of the time] the angle that was hit etc.

I didnt entertain the idea of glasses, or an eye patch or anything like that. What I did try however, was closing one eye whilst going for the shot......its hard to explain, but it didnt do wonders.

I've read alot about cues, and the 'feel' of a cue, i.e, if it feels right then go for it............well the same can be said for a stroke. I had a quite a few shots today where my stance was better, head was lower, cue action was smoother, and then the ball went EXACTLY where I wanted it to - after those shots, I got a feeling.....I cant explain it, but it felt like I'd made a perfect stroke - something thats not happened before!

So, to summarise, having the cue under the left of my chin helped enormously - such a small correction for such a large difference. Also, I was trying to use my left eye more than my right, whilst keeping them both open and on target - that helped too.

Thanks for all the advice on this guys, really appreciated.

cheers

Mark

Comment

Great! Glad it feels better, maybe we've hit on the right answer! Now comes the hard part: practising until it's second nature!

P.S. That "feeling" = what we should feel all the time; it's like a drug! Once you"ve had it, then you want it all the time. You're hooked!
        Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

I think this is one of the things many people new to the game overlook, and possibly one of the most fundemental to becoming a good player. You need both eyes for depth perception etc. however as you have descovered the positioning of the cue makes a massive difference to how you percieve the shot. You need to find what works for you and as keith says eventually it becomes second nature. Problem is i quite often hit the ball exactly where im aiming... but where im aiming doesnt make the ball go in the pocket
          sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by mcambridge View Post
            ... With the cue under the left of my chin seemed to help a hell of a lot. The angle I saw was [most of the time] the angle that was hit etc. ...
            Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
            ... I think this is one of the things many people new to the game overlook, and possibly one of the most fundemental to becoming a good player. You need both eyes for depth perception etc. however as you have descovered the positioning of [eyes over] the cue makes a massive difference to how you percieve the shot. You need to find what works for you and as keith says eventually it becomes second nature. ...
            yep totally agree - I certainly feel a much better player and a lot more confident since I moved my right (dominant) eye a bit more over the cue ...

Comment

im ambidexterous and although i can never decide which hand to write with i honestly never give it a thought when i play pool. im told i rarely play consecutive shots with the same hand but it doesnt affect my game that i know of and i dont think about it but i can understand the pw predicament hes now got me wondering whether my game would benefit from me consistantly playing right or left handed lol i know my right eye is the dominant one but i think retraining myself to play right handed would be alien to me same as the pw but i cue in the centre of my chin both ways
              Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
              Mark Twain

Comment

Originally Posted by tabbfan View Post
                im ambidexterous and although i can never decide which hand to write with i honestly never give it a thought when i play pool. im told i rarely play consecutive shots with the same hand but it doesnt affect my game that i know of and i dont think about it but i can understand the pw predicament hes now got me wondering whether my game would benefit from me consistantly playing right or left handed lol i know my right eye is the dominant one but i think retraining myself to play right handed would be alien to me same as the pw but i cue in the centre of my chin both ways
                Well then, you're a lucky guy!! I wish I could do that. But seriously, try playing with the cue under your dominant eye and see if it makes a difference; sometimes you don't have to move the cue a lot to the right as you can be just slightly right-eye dominant. I don't think that re-training yourself to just play right-handed would be a good idea at all if you're naturally ambidextrous; I'd rather thank my lucky stars!
                Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
                  Well then, you're a lucky guy!! I wish I could do that. But seriously, try playing with the cue under your dominant eye and see if it makes a difference; sometimes you don't have to move the cue a lot to the right as you can be just slightly right-eye dominant. I don't think that re-training yourself to just play right-handed would be a good idea at all if you're naturally ambidextrous; I'd rather thank my lucky stars!
                  lol cheers and not that it really matters but im a woman not a guy but thanks for replying
                  Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
                  Mark Twain

Comment

My apologies! I didn't know.

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
                      My apologies! I didn't know.
                      lol its alright dont worry about it its a hazard of the site
                      Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X