The Double Kiss Safety Shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Double Kiss Safety Shot

recently i tried my hand a few times at attempting the double kiss safety shot on a red that is lying on the bottom cushion and sending the white back into baulk. i hit the shots well, but the white doesnt seem to get back to baulk for some reason after it double kisses the red, it seems to suddenly slow down as if a drag shot was played! does anyone the reason for this? i was playing the shot dead centre and plain ball. do i need to use some form of top spin or screw for this shot?
    Crucible77's Bahrain Championship Fantasy Game Winner 2008 :snooker:

HB practice: 112
    HB match: 81

Its probably one of those shots thats much easier to get right on a top quality pro tournament table, with everything in top notch condition.

At club level a lot can go wrong.
    "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Hi stjimmy,
      There's 3 ways you can play this shot, but all are very tricky.
      1. You've just said about playing it with centre, just need to hit the ball that little bit harder and you should see it come back and slow down just past the blue spot. Trial and error really.
      2. Top spin is nearly the same as centre but you'll get a little bit more drag on the ball, so gotta hit a little bit harder than in 1.
      3. Putting backspin on the ball helps the white ball fly back. Over distance it'll be very hard to get this right but when your closer (like a foot away) it helps to get the white back to bulk. Very rare that you have to use it that way but its helpful to know the shot.

The reason for the white to drag is because as it double kisses the object ball, the spin on the white is still spinning. Like when it hits the cushion, a bit of the spin has come off the white ball, I think more friction on the cushion than another ball???

Thats what I think, might not be right but it makes sense to me!
      Last edited by Ballrun; 16 February 2009, 06:46 PM.

Comment

"There's 3 ways you can play this shot, but both are very tricky."

no wonder you play snooker for a living!
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by Ballrun View Post
          Hi stjimmy,
          There's 3 ways you can play this shot, but all are very tricky.
          1. You've just said about playing it with centre, just need to hit the ball that little bit harder and you should see it come back and slow down just past the blue spot. Trial and error really.
          2. Top spin is nearly the same as centre but you'll get a little bit more drag on the ball, so gotta hit a little bit harder than in 1.
          3. Putting backspin on the ball helps the white ball fly back. Over distance it'll be very hard to get this right but when your closer (like a foot away) it helps to get the white back to bulk. Very rare that you have to use it that way but its helpful to know the shot.

The reason for the white to drag is because as it double kisses the object ball, the spin on the white is still spinning. Like when it hits the cushion, a bit of the spin has come off the white ball, I think more friction on the cushion than another ball???

Thats what I think, might not be right but it makes sense to me!
          thank you Ballrun - your advice and knowledge is much appreciated and I'll give what you suggest a go ... probably won't play it in snooker but it could be wizzo for UK 8-ball

btw ... for newbies to the forum, Ballrun is a pro-player in the top 32 of the WPBSA tour and you regularly see him on TV ... I'm not sure if it's etiquette to name him so I won't but his advice is well worth listening to!

Comment

I would always recommend playing the shot with ever-so-slightly above centre ball striking. The key is to ensure centre ball striking of the object ball as anywhere to the left/right will possibly leave the cueball and object ball in the centre of the table. A very risky shot yet if executed correctly very effective.
            Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
            Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

I'm still waiting for the chance to play this shot in a match or practice. I've seen it a few times on the tv but never played it in 20+ years.

My advice would be to try and hit the object ball full in the face. that way it should stay in the middle of the table even so will be relatively safe even if the white just reaches the blue spot area.

the rest - in terms of where to hit the white - will just be trial and error

Comment

not the easiest of shots.. the cue ball can easily veer off in a wrong direction on the way back to baulk.
                Blown away

Comment

Originally Posted by Stunrunthru View Post
                  I'm still waiting for the chance to play this shot in a match or practice. I've seen it a few times on the tv but never played it in 20+ years.

My advice would be to try and hit the object ball full in the face. that way it should stay in the middle of the table even so will be relatively safe even if the white just reaches the blue spot area.

the rest - in terms of where to hit the white - will just be trial and error
                  Why have you never tried it in practice stun?? Have you since your post?
                  Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

Comment

Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
                    Why have you never tried it in practice stun?? Have you since your post?
                    To be honest Roy, I've been watching and playing snooker since I was 10 and I can watch a match on the telly and almost 99 times out of 100 I am thinking what the commentator is saying but this shot seems to be relatively new to me.

I've only seen it played a handful of times on the telly and I remember your mate Shaun Murphy playing it to near perfection recently.

It's not really a shot that has sprung to mind whilst in practice or match situation.

Comment

its a shot you play more often than you think if with a conventional safety you don't know where the white will run.
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by Stunrunthru View Post
                        To be honest Roy, I've been watching and playing snooker since I was 10 and I can watch a match on the telly and almost 99 times out of 100 I am thinking what the commentator is saying but this shot seems to be relatively new to me.

I've only seen it played a handful of times on the telly and I remember your mate Shaun Murphy playing it to near perfection recently.

It's not really a shot that has sprung to mind whilst in practice or match situation.
                        True. However, try and practice it and see just how hard it truly is to judge! Youll enjoy it I promise!!

Comment

Any video link of this shot please?
                          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                          X