No announcement yet.

Pointless yet Insightful.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again Dandy youve misunderstood my point. I love watching snooker of all levels from the pros's to the older boys who go at the same time every week and play the same number of frames every week etc..I hope to still be playing when im their age. That is NOT my point. My point is why these guys fail to understand that they are hitting breaks of 16 max for a reason and that reason for the past 30-odd years isnt because ant table theyve played on rolls off or whatever it is because they are poor players. THATS my point. It isnt a personal dig I just wish they'd realise, enjoy the game as much still but not take the game as seriously because quite simply they are not good enough to get the hump with some of the shots they miss.
    Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
    Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

someone's always on the bloody phone whenever i play, even though it specifically states "no phones" on the door.

Comment

Originally Posted by JoeNut View Post
        someone's always on the bloody phone whenever i play, even though it specifically states "no phones" on the door.
        Again another pet hate to serious snooker players or indeed anyonr trying to play. We have a sign up which states "Concentration..NOT conversation in relation to no mobiles. It is such bad etiquette but unfortunately it happens all too often.
        Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
        Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

i think i attract the idiots when im there, today i had to endure 2 hours of somebody calling his dad (who he was playing with) all the names under the sun every time he missed.

Comment

Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
            Again Dandy youve misunderstood my point. I love watching snooker of all levels from the pros's to the older boys who go at the same time every week and play the same number of frames every week etc..I hope to still be playing when im their age. That is NOT my point. My point is why these guys fail to understand that they are hitting breaks of 16 max for a reason and that reason for the past 30-odd years isnt because ant table theyve played on rolls off or whatever it is because they are poor players. THATS my point. It isnt a personal dig I just wish they'd realise, enjoy the game as much still but not take the game as seriously because quite simply they are not good enough to get the hump with some of the shots they miss.
            No RR, I didn't miss your point at all being one of the "older boys" to whom you refer (in general that is) ... actually you seemed to miss my little joke "oh, it's you is it?" ... but my point remains ...

why don't you play your game and me and my friends will play our game? please can you tell me why you clearly think it's sad that I am 51 years old and my highest break is 25?

I personally am very proud of my high break, I'm also very proud of my "Welsh Dragon" cue and I thoroughly enjoy my once a week outing with three friends (all "older boys") ...

And maybe to put it in some perspective, I played with my friends last Sunday at Riley's Staines, on a table next to us, there were two 13 or 14 year olds who were very polite if we "clashed" as it were ...

On the other table next to us, they're were two 20's or early 30's blokes who were smashing the balls around shouting out loudly very very rude words every time they missed (far too rude to mention on this forum) ... on one occasion, they hit it so hard, the cueball came flying in our direction ...

But we didn't complain or even consider their right to play ... although, every time I missed a pot, I did say to my friends "did you see that roll off?" just for fun in case it was you playing next to us ... although in truth, it had not, I just hit it in the wrong place ...

Maybe us "older boys" are a bit more mellow than you think?
            Last edited by DandyA; 24 February 2009, 02:08 AM.

Comment

I dont think RocketRoy wants this to be an age thing Danny so I think you maybe take him the wrong way a tad.

His point was more about players that use excuses when they miss everytime. I too have a friend that I play that does this and he is in his 20's. I told him to stop because it does get irritating, mainly because I can play and I am watching, so I know why he missed and dont need telling after every single shot.

I think snooker is more of a social thing when you play snooker in a group though Roy and Danny too has a point and it would not bother me what anyone else did on their table at all. It only irritates me if I am playing against someone who does this.

Comment

I notice that some of the players who never seem to improve will not play with better players or even players slightly better. They may be finding it frustrating. This mentality might be why they are not improving.

But I dont think they care very much if they would improve--they are just enjoying themselves with their friends with all the banters and what not.

One time, I made the mistake of playing with this group when they asked me to join them, and they got very mad at me saying I was too serious and told me to leave them alone in the middle of the game.

It is probably a good idea to leave them alone. It was not enjoyable for me, and obviously not for them either.

No DanyA, it is not about older folks really. It is not even about how many years you have played or what your highest break is.

I think the original poster just wanted to rant. He is not suggesting to do anything like banning them or whatever. And for myself, I believe in leaving each other alone, as you have suggested.
                Last edited by poolqjunkie; 24 February 2009, 02:59 AM.
                www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I totaly understand RocketRoy's point. There are plenty of regular customers in my club who are not even trying to learn the basics of cue ball possitioning, and they even play by some self invented rules which makes a frame of eight ball last for more than an hour. They are ignorant about the international eight ball rules (they call them stupid ). The worse thing is that they think they are good players and moan all the time about bad luck. My point is that they spend enough time to enable them to learn the game and be good at it, but they unconciosly refuse that and carry on living in denial and thinking they are good. I know that it's their money and they can spend them on whatever they want, but somehow i don't like them arround me. Such people also don't appretiate the cue sports and tend to be noisy and rude which i can't stand. Luckily the snooker table is isolated with walls and a courtain.

Comment

yep, very good points both 1laywer and PQ - I accept them and thank you for them both ...

actually, I would love to play much more snooker, preferably against better players even if I were just the "ball boy" but I can't say where I live is the capital of the snooker world and certainly where I play (Riley's Staines) it's all friends turning up to play together - no teams play out of there ...

there is a Conservative Club in Staines where 3 teams play out of but I've never ventured there ... don't want or expect to play for a team but just watching and chatting must be the easiest way to find new playing partners ...

hear what you're saying PQ ... I've only played snooker with my friends socially but I will and do play UK 8-ball very seriously and (even though I say it myself) I'm pretty good ... well, actually, I'm ****ing brilliant lol ...

against a better player, it's a challenge to see if you can give him a run for his money but there's nothing worse than playing a much less able player ... what do you do? miss on purpose to try to make a game of it ...

Comment

Originally Posted by matoski View Post
                      I totaly understand RocketRoy's point. There are plenty of regular customers in my club who are not even trying to learn the basics of cue ball possitioning, and they even play by some self invented rules which makes a frame of eight ball last for more than an hour. They are ignorant about the international eight ball rules (they call them stupid ). The worse thing is that they think they are good players and moan all the time about bad luck. My point is that they spend enough time to enable them to learn the game and be good at it, but they unconciosly refuse that and carry on living in denial and thinking they are good. I know that it's their money and they can spend them on whatever they want, but somehow i don't like them arround me. Such people also don't appretiate the cue sports and tend to be noisy and rude which i can't stand. Luckily the snooker table is isolated with walls and a courtain.
                      by 8-ball I think you are referring to pool whether UK or American ... in which case, I have to admit, once again, I am one of the players you are complaining about because I too have no idea what international eight ball rules are ...

I believe they are an attempt to create a "universal" set of rules rather than the current plethora of different rules that currently exist in 8-ball ... but in our area, we tend to play the Old EPA rules, which I think are good rules so I am blissfully ignorant of the rules you prefer to play ...

sorry for upsetting you by not playing by the rules as you think we should ... oh and btw, although there is only one set of snooker rules, me and my friends do occasionally play our own variations of these rules which would really p*** you off if you were watching ... once again, sorry ...

Comment

I'm reffering to American pool offcourse. I don't know nothing about UK pool, only that is played on very small tables (6 feet if i'm not mistaking).

Comment

If I am playing a player who is not as good I would offer a 40-50 point start usually and go up or down 5 according to if they won a frame.

Or if they dont want a start then I tend to go for everything and anything and dont play any safety at all. I think it can do you good to relax and not play serious every once in a while.

I dont mind playing players that cant play to a simular standard as me and remember once I played one older gentleman one afternoon and helped him with his shot selection, he made a 35 break (His first thirty) and he was so happy he ran aroung the club. We had a great afternoon playing and celebrated his 'Big Break' by finishing off nearly a full bottle of single malt whiskey. It was one of the most enjoyable games of snooker I have ever had.
                          Not that I remember much about it.
                          Last edited by 1lawyer; 24 February 2009, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by 1lawyer View Post
                            If I am playing a player who is not as good I would offer a 40-50 point start usually and go up or down 5 according to if they won a frame.

Or if they dont want a start then I tend to go for everything and anything and dont play any safety at all. I think it can do you good to relax and not play serious every once in a while.

I dont mind playing players that cant play to a simular standard as me and remember once I played one older gentleman one afternoon and helped him with his shot selection, he made a 35 break (His first thirty) and he was so happy he ran aroung the club. We had a great afternoon playing and celebrated his 'Big Break' by finishing off nearly a full bottle of single malt whiskey. It was one of the most enjoyable games of snooker I have ever had.
                            lovely story 1lawyer let me know if you ever visit Staines and I'll give you a game ... well except I don't like whisky so you can drink the whole bottle yourself whilst I drown my sorrows by drinking 20 pints of Amber Nectar or summat ...

actually I've got a better idea ... why don't you down a bottle of finest malt in one before we play ... might level the playing field a bit!

Comment

Originally Posted by 1lawyer View Post

WOW!

Spot me 40... I'll fly over... how do I win a bottle of single malt?

I'm sure it would be enjoyable mate!

=o)

Noel

Comment

Originally Posted by matoski View Post
                                I'm reffering to American pool offcourse. I don't know nothing about UK pool, only that is played on very small tables (6 feet if i'm not mistaking).
                                yes UK 8-ball tables are 6' x 3' but the pockets (whilst still larger than snooker pockets) are still much smaller than the "buckets" on American pool tables ...

Comment

Working...
                                X