Pointless yet Insightful.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
    yes UK 8-ball tables are 6' x 3' but the pockets (whilst still larger than snooker pockets) are still much smaller than the "buckets" on American pool tables ...
    They are buckets compared to snooker or UK 8-ball balls, but you must consider that American pool balls are a lot larger (maybe twice the volume of snooker balls). I guess you have an impression that playing on a table with such large pockets is easy, but i asure you otherwise.

Comment

well no problem I will look you up if I'm ever in your neck of the woods Danny and Noel I definatly hope I end up in your neck of the woods.

Snooker great game, mixed with single malt beer and laughs, the greatest game bar none. :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by 1lawyer View Post
        If I am playing a player who is not as good I would offer a 40-50 point start usually and go up or down 5 according to if they won a frame.

Or if they dont want a start then I tend to go for everything and anything and dont play any safety at all. I think it can do you good to relax and not play serious every once in a while.

I dont mind playing players that cant play to a simular standard as me and remember once I played one older gentleman one afternoon and helped him with his shot selection, he made a 35 break (His first thirty) and he was so happy he ran aroung the club. We had a great afternoon playing and celebrated his 'Big Break' by finishing off nearly a full bottle of single malt whiskey. It was one of the most enjoyable games of snooker I have ever had.
        Not that I remember much about it.
        WOW!
        Spot me 40... I'll fly over... how do I win a bottle of single malt?

I'm sure it would be enjoyable mate!

=o)

Noel

Comment

Originally Posted by matoski View Post
          They are buckets compared to snooker or UK 8-ball balls, but you must consider that American pool balls are a lot larger (maybe twice the volume of snooker balls). I guess you have an impression that playing on a table with such large pockets is easy, but i asure you otherwise.
          no quite the reverse ... very difficult ... only played once on an American pool table - cloth is ultra fast and requires great skill and as for the balls - it's not the volume that worries me, it's the weight ... damn near broke my snooker cue and, more importantly, my wrist the first shot I played

the difference in size seems minor - I think it's 2 and a quarter inches for American compared to 2 and a sixteenth for snooker of 1 and seven/eights for coin-op UK pool but it doesn't half make a lot of difference!

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
            no quite the reverse ... very difficult ... only played once on an American pool table - cloth is ultra fast and requires great skill and as for the balls - it's not the volume that worries me, it's the weight ... damn near broke my snooker cue and, more importantly, my wrist the first shot I played

the difference in size seems minor - I think it's 2 and a quarter inches for American compared to 2 and a sixteenth for snooker of 1 and seven/eights for coin-op UK pool but it doesn't half make a lot of difference!
            You are wrong about the cloth. American pool is played on simonis 860 type of cloth which is ultra slow. You have probably played on a very old cloth which lost the nap as the time went by. In such occasions is allmost imposible to control the cue ball. And about the weight i guess you played on a table with mechanism (wich runs on coins). In such case the cue ball is a lot bigger and heavier so it will come out every time it is poted. The proffesional ball sets have a very fine cue ball.

Comment

You are wrong about the cloth. American pool is played on simonis 860 type of cloth which is ultra slow.
              Come on now. Simonis 860 is not that fast, but ultra slow? Maybe if you keep it in a very humid room, but it is generally way quicker than any snooker napped cloth (very few snooker tables here...all use Strachan or Hainsworth). Much less resistance with Simonis pool cloth than with snooker cloth, big difference. He was right about the cloth speed.

Comment

You are wrong about the cloth. American pool is played on simonis 860 type of cloth which is ultra slow. You have probably played on a very old cloth which lost the nap as the time went by.
                from there web site "Nap-free surface eliminates pilling and shedding resulting in long wear"... How can nap free cloth lose the nap over time? I always thought american pool cloths were faster than snooker? Never played on a "proper" american pool table though, just the ones rileys round here. Still seems fast when the cloth has just been replaced though. i find it hard to tell though because of the difference in size of the balls.
                sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Ok Dandy..Hear me. With all due respect to you and the "older guys" of 50+ I admire your love for the game and loyalty. NOT IN DISPUTE. If your happy to play how you play and take the game as a bit of fun and enjoyment then thats fine. NOT IN DISPUTE. The point of me incepting this thread was to ask why, these guys who cue wrong, dont line up the shot, move on the shot (basically everything wrong) get in a huff and a puff and go from enjoying the game to getting annoyed at missing pots that, quite bluntly, they are not capable of potting. Thats what im getting at. In no way am I saying its sad that YOUR or ANYONES HB is only 25. Hopefully you understand what I mean. It is in NO WAY intended to be disrespectful as im not like that.
                  Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
                  Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
                    ... get in a huff and a puff and go from enjoying the game to getting annoyed .
                    RoyRoyRoy... ever seen a huddle of old cows all together complaining about

the weather, facial hair, cellulite, cute girls, husbands, mother-in-laws,
                    neighbours, barking cats... Same thing!

Let's face it... what you're describing makes one slightly ashamed to be a man!

=o)

Noel
                    Last edited by noel; 22 March 2010, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Noel..for once...i have NO IDEA what your telling me buddy
                      Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

Comment

Noel..for once...i have NO IDEA what your telling me buddy
                        LOL... sorry mate...
                        just me being Insightful yet Pointless I guess ...

NEL

PS. Human nature devolves towards entropy... characterised by those guys you mentioned who, no matter how badly their scripted performances bite your ass... they cannot hear you... your words do not compute. They just are who they are and enjoy being who they are and cannot change.
                        Same as it ever was!

Comment

Originally Posted by noel View Post
                          LOL... sorry mate...
                          just me being Insightful yet Pointless I guess ...

NEL

PS. Human nature devolves towards entropy... characterised by those guys you mentioned who, no matter how badly their scripted performances bite your ass... they cannot hear you... your words do not compute. They just are who they are and enjoy being who they are and cannot change.
                          Same as it ever was!

Wow nice quote, insightful, deep..... but nicely put.

I prefered the one about mother in laws, cows and girlfriends huddling together while the cats barked though.

Comment

Ok Dandy..Hear me. With all due respect to you and the "older guys" of 50+ I admire your love for the game and loyalty. NOT IN DISPUTE. If your happy to play how you play and take the game as a bit of fun and enjoyment then thats fine. NOT IN DISPUTE. The point of me incepting this thread was to ask why, these guys who cue wrong, dont line up the shot, move on the shot (basically everything wrong) get in a huff and a puff and go from enjoying the game to getting annoyed at missing pots that, quite bluntly, they are not capable of potting. Thats what im getting at. In no way am I saying its sad that YOUR or ANYONES HB is only 25. Hopefully you understand what I mean. It is in NO WAY intended to be disrespectful as im not like that.

Hi RR, yes I understand and I have been replying slightly tongue in cheek with my warped soh ... the only point I'd make is that imho, there are just as many "younger guys" who cue terribly and get in a huff and a puff when the balls don't go where they want - it's not just an "older guys" thing although I fully admit we do get more cantankerous the older we get - it's one of the few benefits of being ancient lol ...

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
                              Come on now. Simonis 860 is not that fast, but ultra slow? Maybe if you keep it in a very humid room, but it is generally way quicker than any snooker napped cloth (very few snooker tables here...all use Strachan or Hainsworth). Much less resistance with Simonis pool cloth than with snooker cloth, big difference. He was right about the cloth speed.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtGe0FouC6A
                              Watch this link. If this is a fast cloth then i don't know anything about cuesports. Those snooker naped cloths which you refer to are not in use in professional snooker for maybe a decade. If you have noticed the eurosport commentators often comment the speed and reactivity of todays cloths. As Joe Johnsons says they are "greese lightning". American pool is played on very slow cloths compared to professional snooker these days, and belive me, i play pool almost every day and i know what i am talking about.

Comment

Absolutely ive seen it just this week with a few new members in their mid-20s so not an older thing at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X