Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety Play

Lacks, in my game...

Just curious if there are any routines to practice safety shots, snookers, angle knowledge ect....or is it practice, practice, practice?

Thanks

i would say practice, set the balls up like you were playing a game and break off, then just try to make things as difficult as possible for your opponent (which is also you)

Comment

Hey Boxy.

I would suggest practicing scenario after scenario that you might face in a match. You will need to understand how thick/thin you will need to strike the object ball in order to get the cue ball as tight against the baulk cushion to makie the shot as difficult for your opponent as possible. There really are hundreds of shots for you to be practicing . Also do not forget to practice your "shots-to-nothing" Place a red around 6-10 inches from a black pocket and the cue ball on the green spot. As you were also struggling with side you can combine the two by striking the cue ball with right hand side, potting the red and coming round the back of a group of pre-placed reds (as the pack would be in a match) and back into baulk. You will learn this shot over time and as you pot this more consistently try retaining position on the blue this time.

How are you getting on with side spin by the way?
      Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
      Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

Thank you, great post.

On the shot you mentioned, the aim is to pot the red, go around the back of the black and towards baulk yes?

Im adding more side to my game. Only on simpler shots, black of the spot with reverse side for a red ect..

On wednesday night I had a league match and notched up my 1st win! Opponent left me in on the colours & i cleared them up to take the frame
        Last edited by Boxy; 27 February 2009, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Boxy View Post
          Thank you, great post.

On the shot you mentioned, the aim is to pot the red, go around the back of the black and towards baulk yes?

Im adding more side to my game. Only on simpler shots, black of the spot with reverse side for a red ect..

On wednesday night I had a league match and notched up my 1st win! Opponent left me in on the colours & i cleared them up to take the frame
          Good news Boxy keep going. Im going to suggest you view videos on youtube which I think may help your game. Type in dongdong snooker (Dont ask) He is a 10 year old boy usually wearing his school uniform who is likely to be a huge name in the game. Nam1977 bought him to my attention simply type it in and watch his practice routines as I firmly believe they will help YOUR game. Let me know what you think. Enjoy.
          Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

Comment

Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
            Good news Boxy keep going. Im going to suggest you view videos on youtube which I think may help your game. Type in dongdong snooker (Dont ask) He is a 10 year old boy usually wearing his school uniform who is likely to be a huge name in the game. Nam1977 bought him to my attention simply type it in and watch his practice routines as I firmly believe they will help YOUR game. Let me know what you think. Enjoy.
            Helpful... thanks Roy!

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...dong+dong&aq=f

=o)

Noel

Comment

Cheers Noel youve saved Boxy and I 8 seconds of our lives by putting the link in although ive lost time now by typing this post

Enjoy all!

Comment

Thanks guys. Im really interested in the 3rd vid on that list. Potting black at differemt angles and opening the pack!

Comment

Am i allowed to hate that kid
                  sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by Boxy View Post
                    On the shot you mentioned, the aim is to pot the red,
                    go around the back of the black and towards baulk yes?
                    Exactly! If done so you have three options.
                    1. You potted the red and can now roll the cue-ball onto a baulk colour,
                    leaving a nasty little snooker for your opponent.

2. You potted the red and can try to pot one of the baulk colours into one
                    of the middle pockets.

3. You didn't pot the red, but your opponent has either no or just another
                    very tricky pot coming up. Chances are, that you snooker your opponent on
                    all the reds, too.

cheers

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
                      Am i allowed to hate that kid
                      In the queue mate!!

Comment

impressive videos, god that music gets annoying though
                        New Zealands biggest snooker fan

Comment

I would place a few reds by the black spot, and the white behind the baulk line near the cushion.

Then practice clipping the reds very thin and returning to baulk.

This very thin safety shot can be played from almost any angle with the object ball in almost any position. It is a great shot for getting you out of trouble.

Comment

Originally Posted by Forman View Post
                            impressive videos, god that music gets annoying though
                            God tell me about it!!

Comment

Hes got quality

In this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEYu7emtdU4

39 seconds, can someone explain what spin hes putting on the white ball please?

Comment

Working...
                              X