break off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• break off

i've just started putting white near the green and shooting between blue and pink hitting the right hand side of the pack it seems to have good results any thoughts or experience with this break
    So it's Rorschach and Prozac and everything is groovy
    World Masters - Lucky Dip 2011 winner
    World Championship-Lucky Dip 2011 winner
    Snooker island July 2011 - Australian Open prediction comp winner
    http://www.leaguesnooker.co.uk/

Originally Posted by drlog147 View Post
    i've just started putting white near the green and shooting between blue and pink hitting the right hand side of the pack it seems to have good results any thoughts or experience with this break
    No but i might give it a try tonight.

Comment

yes, but more often than enough i always catch the blue. I used to break off from yellow side of the brown, but recently i have had more progress for the green side.

Comment

more often than not one seems to end up on the bottom cushion nearly in line with the brown i find the only negative is that as you are hitting the pack at such a thin angle not many reds come out so if you want to get the frame going this is prob not the way to go unless your prepared to wait for an opening which seems to be later than sooner, any thoughts from the good experience players on here
        So it's Rorschach and Prozac and everything is groovy
        World Masters - Lucky Dip 2011 winner
        World Championship-Lucky Dip 2011 winner
        Snooker island July 2011 - Australian Open prediction comp winner
        http://www.leaguesnooker.co.uk/

Comment

Me, as well as other experienced players, would probably have tried this, out of boredom or experimentation lol. It can be effective with a lot of right hand side I find I get back pretty close behind the green. Try it I say
          Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
          Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

Originally Posted by drlog147 View Post
            yep tried this tonight playing with friends and I think it's promising ...

I broke off once, played it plain ball at much lower weight than the normal break-off ... the reds hardly moved (certainly none into a "shot for nothing" position) but hit the brown ball full in the face on the way back ... might try a *smidgeon* of left hand side next time ...

One of my friends tried it and caught the blue on the way back but he's not the most accurate plain ball cueist in the world so I guess he might have had a little bit of right hand side on the cue ball ...

But definitely an interesting break ... presumably the pro's must have tried it and dismissed it? why?

Comment

I tried this a couple of years ago. Not that I invented it but i didnt hear of any pro using it just tried it during practice. Its a decent shot and depending on which side you break from youll get close to running up behind the green/yellow.
              Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

Comment

Somebody should tell davis.... Its better than that stupid into the back of teh black thing he tried doing!
                sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
                  Somebody should tell davis.... Its better than that stupid into the back of teh black thing he tried doing!
                  yep, from my one and only attempt so far, I'd agree with you RG ... maybe the experts don't like it cos it's a pretty thin contact on the pack so hard to judge?

but it seems to solve the "problem" of a red going into a "shot for nothing" position which is where Steve Davis is coming from ... although I was only playing on a Riley's club table and not the heated superfine cloths the pro's play on ...

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
                    yep, from my one and only attempt so far, I'd agree with you RG ... maybe the experts don't like it cos it's a pretty thin contact on the pack so hard to judge?

but it seems to solve the "problem" of a red going into a "shot for nothing" position which is where Steve Davis is coming from ... although I was only playing on a Riley's club table and not the heated superfine cloths the pro's play on ...
                    I didnt realise that tables were heated anymore, I thought it was only to avoid dampness but under all the tv lights and modern heated buildings i would have thought its not necessary. Would this help with the movement they get on the cueball with side or screw?

Comment

Its not an attacking shot though. Personally at that level i feel the traditional break off is a better option if played well (which it often isnt these days)
                      sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by vainparasite View Post
                        I didnt realise that tables were heated anymore, I thought it was only to avoid dampness but under all the tv lights and modern heated buildings i would have thought its not necessary. Would this help with the movement they get on the cueball with side or screw?

Yes heated tables indeed. And yes the cueball reacts differently to the tables you and I are used to playing on.

Comment

Originally Posted by vainparasite View Post
                          I'm not an expert but I think they definitely are ... on day 1 of the Welsh Open, the commentators mentioned how slowly (in pro terms) the tables were playing because thre had been a problem with the table heaters ...

by day 2, they were noticeably faster - presumably, it takes a while to heat up a couple of tons of slate

Comment

Working...
                          X