Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting to the point where you feel nothing can help you......?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting to the point where you feel nothing can help you......?

i was just wondering if anyone has ever got to the point where they feel things are not going to improve for them?? I ask because i have come to the point in my game where i think the only way im going enjoy the game is to not play anymore. Let me explain....... i started playing snooker about 5 years ago as a hobbie, it got to the point i was playing everyday and even competing in my local league. I was asked on several occasions to join the welsh amateur circuit, but due to confidence issues i never did. I began getting coaching session on a regular basis, and for a short period felt i was improving, but after a few weeks, i would just go back to my inconsistent standard. I still continued playing, but was getting increasingly fustrated with my inconsistencies, and it personally felt like no matter how hard i tried, nothing was going to work for me on a consistent level. So i took a few weeks out from the game in a hope of clearing my head, but when i came back i was still at a poor standard, so i decided to spend some time with with another coach, terry griffiths son. He monitored my technique and like other coaches, told me i was technically very good, and needed a few alterations which i accepted and comstantly worked on. However, months after this, i still feel i have not improved. It is getting to the point where i feel nothing will helo me improve, even though over the period of time ive played, many different people have commented on how good my technique is etc...... but for some reason there seems to be some other reason why i cant improve and become more consistent - i feel it is on a psychological level, however without knowing what i wrong, there is no grounds to break the habit and improve. I would liek to hear your suggestions on what you would do, or what you have done..... as i dont want to walk away from snooker, but if i carry on playing like i am, i will continue to get ultimately fustrated with myself and in the end cause problems for myself.

I've never been through this myself, and it sounds very tough, so hang on in there, mate. To me, it doesn't sound as if you need a snooker coach, but someone who'll work on the psychological aspects of the game with you. Perhaps a sports coach, from another discipline, or a sports psychologists might be able to help. It does sound as if it's a confidence thing, that comes out very clearly from what you've said, so perhaps you should consider hypnosis as well? I heard that it worked for Hendry when he was younger, perhaps it'd work for you.

I admire your commitment to the game you obviously love, as many people with lesser determination would just have given up, but you haven't, so stick in and keep on trying as it'll work in the end. Have faith in yourself and find the right people to help you.

Good luck,
    Keith
    Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

thanks, ive always believed its a confidence issue - but it has always felt tecnhical even though ive been told its not. It just seems to be some block in my brian which is stopping me applying myself properly to every shot, and to give my best every time.

Comment

Originally Posted by Belloz22 View Post
        thanks, ive always believed its a confidence issue - but it has always felt tecnhical even though ive been told its not. It just seems to be some block in my brian which is stopping me applying myself properly to every shot, and to give my best every time.
        If you feel a lack of confidence on a shot, you're not going to be giving 100% to that shot, so you know there's something wrong but not what so you'll put it down to technique, which it's not, but it feels wrong!!

Try and find someone good at sports psychology and see if they can help. It really might be a good thing to speak to someone in another discipline as they'll not be blinded by snooker technique and so might see more clearly.

Persevere! :snooker:
        Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Your profile says your a phsycology student... Shouldn't you be telling us the answer There must be someone lecturer, teacher who specailises in sports phsycology?
          sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Have you ever tried to JUST PLAY. Dont always try and correct things, accept a miss and just enjoy playing. It will come (all my best breaks have come without thinking.) (almost like sleepwalking) Have faith in your technique if you have a good technique as you say.

Just find the line of the shot when up, imagine the shot going in and a general area where the white will go, walk into the shot get down cue pause and pot it (dont fill your head with why's and were's except on the practice table.

keep it simple.

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
              Your profile says your a phsycology student... Shouldn't you be telling us the answer There must be someone lecturer, teacher who specailises in sports phsycology?
              Originally Posted by 1lawyer View Post
              Have you ever tried to JUST PLAY. Dont always try and correct things, accept a miss and just enjoy playing. It will come (all my best breaks have come without thinking.) (almost like sleepwalking) Have faith in your technique if you have a good technique as you say.

Just find the line of the shot when up, imagine the shot going in and a general area where the white will go, walk into the shot get down cue pause and pot it (dont fill your head with why's and were's except on the practice table.

keep it simple.
              A psychology student keeping it simple. That's a prime example of an oxymoron. Lol

Having said that, Ilawyer's advice is good. Perhaps you've already tried that ...? If not, why not try?
              Last edited by KeithinFrance; 15 March 2009, 12:33 AM.

Comment

this is going to sound like a complete contridiction but - when i try not to think about it, in essence i still am trying!!! let me explain - when i try to be natural, it is the fact im TRYING to do it which means i am not actually being natural. For some reason i cant seem to just do it, i cant just seem to relax and let it happen, there is always a part of me trying, whether it be trying to concentrate, or trying not to care. Recently, i have popped into the local club when my dad has been playing, picked the cue up randomly, and just potted everything, no shot fazed me, and i was 100% certain of potting every ball - this is when i felt at my most natural, like my instinct taking over. However i cannot replicate this state on mind in a frame or when im practicing, even on my own. Ive been told not to think about it, but for me, i have to try not to think about it, which then creates another issue which can impact on my game. If i could replicate my natural state of mind i get when i just pick up the cue to play a few shots - i belive i will unleash my potential - but until i know how, the same issues are going to be there.

Oh yea, unfortunately i study main stream psychology, although we do have a very good sports psychology department in my uni - maybe i could drop an email off there lol!!!!!

Comment

Have you tried listening to music or something? I know a lot of people frown apon the music snooker thing but i like listening to music while playing (if only i hadnt left my mp3 player at home where my parents could lose it). It might take your mind off worrying so much and allow you to just get on with it.
                  sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

yea, i have tried listening to music, and to be honest i felt it worked ok for me, but i was still regulary doing stupid things. Maybe i shall give it ago again - even if it only helps in the mean while....

went down the club today..... and as per usual, could pot every pot that was considered hard, but was missing so many important easy balls, balls that could lead to breaks etc. Although must people will suggest i wasnt concentrating as much on the easier shots, to me in my mind, it feels like im doing nothing different - AHHHHHH SO FUSTRATING!!!!
                    Last edited by Belloz22; 15 March 2009, 12:29 PM.

Comment

If your technique is fine then it's probably because you are looking at the pocket instead of the object ball.
                      You don't have to move your head when you take your eye off the object ball so your coach probably wouldn't notice if you did.
                      I always believed that Alex Higgins could get away with moving his head because he still kept his eyes on the object ball when he did.

Try this exercise when you are playing badly, set up an easy half ball black off its spot, do everything you normally do, but at the moment of striking the cue ball, close your eyes.

Hand and eye co-ordination, the hand will follow the eye, so if the eye is not looking at where you want the cue ball to go, the hand will follow the eye and you will miss.
                      If you line up the pot correctly and you have a straight cue action then closing your eyes will prevent you from looking at the pocket and you will still pot the ball.

This exercise is only to check if you are not looking at the object ball at the moment of striking the cue ball, it doesn't mean that closing your eyes makes the pot easy.
                      If you find that you can pot the easy ones, make them harder, you might surprise yourself.

Comment

A very common problem mate in fact I have been feeling like this for some time now. Just keep in there and when you "click" in a match and over the course of a couple of weeks you feel as if youve moved up through a gear or two in terms of your consistency its just the best feeling. I would seek help from your coach again and work on shot selection as this can be the simple difference between a regular 30 break builder to 60-70+
                        Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
                        Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

Read a book called "The Inner Game of Golf."

It will help with your snooker...... I promise.

Comment

Hi Belloz22, Don't know if my previous attempt to post a reply has been taken but here goes again.
                            You have had a lot of good advice but nothing is working so far. The themes that stick in my mind from your initial enquiry...Clear my head...short period of i mprovement..consistencies..technically very good. My impression is that you are a tinkerer. Let me mention two guys as an example. Jim Furyk (Professional Golfer top 10 for yonks) Joe Swail ( say no more). If you watched these guys for the first time and you were a golfer or snooker player you would fancy yourself given their highly indidvidual techniques. What is their secret. Simple..they do the same thing every time. What I recommend you do is set on a fixed cockpit drill as you prepare for each shot. Maybe 4 signposts along the way that logically follow each other. As an example

1. Begin each shot standing behind the cue ball selecting your line.
                            2. Place your bridge hand on the line of the shot.
                            3. Relax totally your lower cue arm.
                            4. Look at the object ball.

Settle on your own 4 for whatever may suit you best but having settled on them, write them down, keep them in your cue case and read them prior to each outing. They must become ingrained.

Standardising your routine will help. You have been told by good coaches your technique is good. Believe them.
                            Good Luck.

Comment

A few things that have helped me:

- Paying more attention to where the cue tip hits the cue ball (ie not using unintentional side).

- Really concentrating hard on exactly where you are aiming at the object ball when striking.

- Watching great snooker players playing great snooker. A good dose of Alex Higgins or Ronnie O'Sullivan playing their best not only gives inspiration and motivation, but I always play better afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                              X