snooker newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snooker newbie

I regularly enough play pool but I am starting to play snooker now. Many players of pool, as you know, take some vice, for example to move a little before the shot or even jump up after a shot, or to use body movement, or other little things. Obviously I am not different, but i want change those bad habits
    Firstly i want change my stance, I use a very free of it as many of pool players do (there is not a standard stance as in the snooker) but I see that in the snooker the stance is very rigid, in fact all the players of snooker adopt the same one.
    I'm looking this video which teorically rappresents a good stance, how it looks to you? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X08w5E5RbJY
    You have some general suggestion for a totally newbie of snooker?
    Bye all and sorry for my bad english

Yes ideal left handed stance. Are you left handed? If not copy that but the other way round

That is a textbook stance and if you can mirror that you are well on your way to playing snooker! However, there are many different stances used by many different players. Some bend both knees for example. The trick is to adopt a stance that YOU feel comfortable with. So long as you cue nicely through that white ball the stance, in mnay respects, is not overly important.
    Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
    Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
      Yes ideal left handed stance. Are you left handed? If not copy that but the other way round

That is a textbook stance and if you can mirror that you are well on your way to playing snooker! However, there are many different stances used by many different players. Some bend both knees for example. The trick is to adopt a stance that YOU feel comfortable with. So long as you cue nicely through that white ball the stance, in mnay respects, is not overly important.
      no i'm right handed.
      Yes but basically the stance is that,for example there aren't players who play with a pool stance.

Comment

That's just because snooker players usually want to have a certain grade of
        stability.

There are basically three things you have to take into account:

1. Your stance must be stable, no body movement
        2. You have to feel comfortable (it'll take some time to get used to)
        3. Your body should not hinder your cue from going straight through

That's it so far for the stance. Cueing straight isn't directly part of your stance
        but just as important nonetheless.

Comment

Originally Posted by Slh View Post
          no i'm right handed.
          Yes but basically the stance is that,for example there aren't players who play with a pool stance.
          Im not sure as I dont play pool. What is a traditional pool stance?
          Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
          Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

The stance you mostly see is one leg almost behind the other (left leg in front
            for righties and vice versa) and a more upright position.

That's probably because pool tables are so incredibly low. Not a very good
            feeling to play pool directly after you played snooker because you always want
            to go down on the table

Edit: This stance probably isn't textbook like for pool also, though.

Comment

Originally Posted by mooneyy View Post
              stability.

That's it so far for the stance. Cueing straight isn't directly part of your stance
              with that stance i feel my cueing straighter, but after some time my right knee hurt. It is normal?

Comment

The stance you mostly see is one leg almost behind the other (left leg in front
                for righties and vice versa) and a more upright position.

That's probably because pool tables are so incredibly low. Not a very good
                feeling to play pool directly after you played snooker because you always want
                to go down on the table

Edit: This stance probably isn't textbook like for pool also, though.
                yes its because the table is lower and because usually the precision required is less so the stance can be more comfortable. A lot of players use body movement to generate power ( the cueball is bigger and heavier), the snooker stance isnt good for it.

stability.

with that stance i feel my cueing straighter, but after some time my right knee hurt. It is normal?

Comment

Well, I certainly can't tell that your knee is broken by any means.

It used to be the case for me too, but I'm not sure whether it should hurt or not...

Have you had any injuries to your knee or some other problems with it?

cheers

Comment

Well, I certainly can't tell that your knee is broken by any means.

It used to be the case for me too, but I'm not sure whether it should hurt or not...

Have you had any injuries to your knee or some other problems with it?

cheers
                    no probably the weight is charged all on the right knee, i must improve my stance.

Comment

Good point!

You should always be leaning forward a tiny little bit. That could probably
                      solve the problem.

Comment

ok one last thing
                        when i'm in position i noticed my forearm isn't perpendicular to the floor,but is a little oblique, not that oblique only a little but not perfectly perpendicular.
                        For example if the perfect angle si 90° my forearm is at 70-75°
                        This forearm not perfecty perpendicular can affect my stroke? For have perfectly perpendicular forearm i must pull my right elbow to the body...

Comment

This can affect your cueing big deal!

Your forearm should always be hanging down exactly straight because any
                          mis-alignment can cause you to kind of dangle around thus making straight
                          action nearly impossible.

Comment

This can affect your cueing big deal!

Your forearm should always be hanging down exactly straight because any
                            mis-alignment can cause you to kind of dangle around thus making straight
                            action nearly impossible.
                            ok how can i have a perpendicular forearm without pull my elbow to the body?

Comment

Well, obviously - if you don't want to take your elbow nearer towards your body -
                              you have to let your hand go further away from it. I'd go for something in
                              between in this case.

Comment

Working...
                              X