where to hold the cue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to hold the cue.

Basically i always hold my cue right at the back but when im on youtube watching many different people play amateurs and proffesionals they always change where they hold the cue for different shots, so maybe further up the cue or further down but i always hold mineright at the end.
    am i putting myself to a disadvantage and s this a bad habit i need to get out of?

Thank you

~Malachi
    Age:17 full time snooker player hoping to get somewhere in the future!

Basically the answer to both of your questions is yes.

Always try to hold the cue that your right forearm is dropping straight down
    whilst lining up for the shot. This can vary with the bridge length you
    do or have to use. Especially with the white close to the cushion and when
    you have to play a high butt it's useful to hold the cue a couple of inches
    shorter (that depends on the balance of your cue too, though).

Comment

For the majority of shots, just on the name disc, my little finger is aligned with the bottom end of the name disc.
      Soft shots, like around the black area, further up. Power shots further down, end of the butt.
      Last edited by Asi; 11 April 2009, 12:29 PM.
      Proud winner of the 2009 Premier League Semi-Final Prediction Contest

Comment

as im small i always hold it at the 3 quarters point
        2009 Shanghai Masters Predict the Qualifiers Champion

2008 Grand Prix Final Prediction Champion

http://ryan147.com

Comment

so whats the difference with holding the cue further up rather then just holding it right at the back and hitting it softly.

Comment

Holding the cue further up can give you more control. That depends on the
            balance of the cue. If a cue already is butt heavy it'll make it even more so,
            thus feeling like you have less control. So that always has to be a compromise.

Holding it shorter for soft and short shots is usually good because your bridge
            and backswing will be shorter as well.

Comment

Holding the cue more back will give you more vision but less cue control and hold the cue more forward will give more cue control but less vision.

So you have to combined both your bridge should be about 9 to 11 inches from the tip and grip arm should drop down in a straight line.

Comment

For long distance shots you need more cue over your bridge, so hold the cue right at the end.
                For middle distance shots you need less cue over your bridge, so hold the cue about two inches from the end.
                For short distance shots you need even less cue over your bridge, so hold the cue about four inches from the end.

This is why shots are more difficult when the cue ball is on a cushion, very little cue over your bridge, sighting is more difficult as well as having a restricted backswing.

This is also why it's important to have a cue long enough in relation to your height, otherwise tall players using short cues tend to hold them at the very end all the time.

By the end, I mean the thick end

Comment

position holding cue

you need to adjust where you hold ur cue for different shots so ur arm is orthodox on each shot

Comment

ah cause im 6 ft and using using a 57" cue maybe thats why im holding it the way i am.

Comment

Simply, your right forarm (right-handed players), left forearm for left-handed players, should be vertical ON ALL SHOTS. When you are playing off the cushion the bridge hand is closer to the cue ball so you need to hold the cue further down so you have perfect control and the right forearm is vertical. If you hold the cue too far back, behind vertical or too far forward then you will not be comfortable compared to the correct position and you won't have very much control.

Comment

Originally Posted by Malachi-b View Post
                        ah cause im 6 ft and using using a 57" cue maybe thats why im holding it the way i am.
                        Not necessarily. if you play with your bridge arm bent, like Steve Davis, you can have enough cue over your bridge to have a good sight of the shot.
                        However, if you find it uncomfortable to bend your bridge arm and have your arm straight, then this could be why you hold the cue at the very end all the time.
                        Then I would suggest a longer cue would be the answer, three inches can make all the difference, as the actress said to the bishop.

Comment

i play with my bridge arm bent i never realised that before lol. so as i play with my arm bent thats why i hold the cue at the end ?

Comment

Originally Posted by bongo View Post
                            Simply, your right forarm (right-handed players), left forearm for left-handed players, should be vertical ON ALL SHOTS. When you are playing off the cushion the bridge hand is closer to the cue ball so you need to hold the cue further down so you have perfect control and the right forearm is vertical. If you hold the cue too far back, behind vertical or too far forward then you will not be comfortable compared to the correct position and you won't have very much control.
                            this seems quite hard to explain if its not in person lol erm. so basically my arm has to be verticle after i have taken the shot. do you know any websites which explain all of this or maybe videos? as ive watched the steve davis coaching vids but he doesnt go into much detail about it.

Comment

i did not think it mattered so much about your elbow jutting out slightly as long as the cue goes thro straight.

I always try and keep my arm vertical to the floor upon striking the ball and try and keep it nice and compact. Put your bridge hand ( V ) over the D line cue up behind the brown until you are almost hitting it and try and keep your forearm vertical at 90 degrees this is how you should hold your cue on shorter shots in reality you may move back for longer or more powerful shots a little however the cue will still strike the ball and your arm will be at 90. If you mark these gripping points with some tape then it will help you remember without having to look at your cue and arm all the time.

(hope this helps a little)

Comment

Working...
                              X