Master Eye Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master Eye Confusion

Less of a question this, more of a statement to which I'd welcome some feedback. I've been playing pool and snooker for 8 years and probably came across the master eye notes 6 years ago. Until recently though I can't say as I've put much faith in it. For one reason or another I've been working on my action, just trying to tune things up. I'm a reasonable player but never felt comfortable with my stance, things just haven't added up for a long time. I have of late though come to no small realisation, in minding I'm cueing under my master eye I've been moving my head to the cue rather than slowly getting down maintaining my line of aim. The difference is huge, rather than moving the cue to what I felt must be the correct position under my right eye it now finds its own way, actually further to the right than before. Within a game or two of the change things are naturally pulling round to sit plumb with my maintained line of aim and I finally have found the kind of confidence in my stance and action I've been hunting for for years.

While I don't really feel qualified to offer advice I'd like to share the trick that 'cracked the code' for me personally, so to speak. Approach the shot as you would usually and just before you start to dip and think about getting down stop. Make a mental note of the orientation of your head as you sight towards the object ball. Continue to get down trying to lower your head in a perfect, plumb straight line, maintaining your line of aim. If you're anything like me it may take a few attempts, and feel a little strange. Maintain this routine though and your body will adapt to the change, straightening behind your steady glare

I owe a great deal to those who know the game and players well and who contribute advice on such things in internet forums and the like, though I can't help but feel the literature that exists on the subject of one's 'master eye' does kind of encourage a player to try to 'artificially' find the sweet spot so to speak. In light of my own recent development I'd prefer to see it as a check, a means of reassurance that at least one of the not so easy pieces is
    correct.

I'd be eager to hear other peoples thoughts on this.

All the best, Steve.

i recognise all you say and have come to the same(and other )conclusions at some point.At the end of the day you "only" have to cue straight and if you don't see or feel you can do that when waggling then something in your lining up has gone wrong.When you have a dominant eye(and know it) and do not line up to the perfect spot in the first place things can easily start to go very wrong when you begin to make adjustments when down.
    The line just doesn't seem to be there and it all gets very confusing.It's also possible that you look parralel to the cueline,your eyeline right but the cueline slightly off.It's also very easy to cue across trying to correct this on the last instant.Or even get the cue-arm blocked..
    Anyhow,you've find yout method and i'm glad for you.Enjoy the game and go on to make your centurie,

cheers,C-J
    Last edited by C-J; 28 April 2009, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X