Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line and Dominant Eye

Greetings Peeps.

I have noticed something very disturbing in the past couple of days.

I have a dominant right eye. If I close my left eye when selecting my line and getting down on the shot, I virtually never miss! Using one eye has proved to me that my brain can recognise almost all the potting angles.

Not wanting to play with one eye closed.....!! I have now started to experiment with different head positions and angles in an attempt to exploit my dominant eye and place the cue directly in line with it.

Nothing seems to be working. I can't pot anywhere near as well, or see the angles as clearly as if I play with my left eye closed.

Has anyone been through this?? Has anyone managed to adapt and improve their game by using their dominant eye??

Can anyone help with some advice??

Cheers.

Have you tried cuing with your head in the same position, just with the cue to the right of your chin, so that it lies right under your right eye?
    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

make sure you cue straight to your aiming point.If you feel strong need for adjustment don't blame your dominent eye but line up again until you feel comfortable.Concentrate on cueing straight and slow,especially after the last pause.Hold your cue as loose as possible and feel what your muscles do or want to do.Take it from there and don't give to much attention to the dominant eye,then after some time you will move it in the right place automatically.That's what worked for me but it took me sometime......

cheers,C-J

Comment

C-J, how long did it took you to adjust to it? I'm right eye dominated, but i now play with my cue between my chin. I want to change this (move my cue underneath my right eye), but it feels so weird. Should i just accept that i will play "bad" for sometime and eventually it will pay off?

Comment

When you make any change to your cuing you have to accept that it will get worse before it gets better. After a while of consciously having to keep the cue there it will become second nature and thats when you see any improvement
          sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

I think the suggestions given are good ones, shifting your cueing just under your eye or slightly over keeping both eyes open should help. I do however know a one eyed snooker player who on most days put in 50+ breaks so if in doubt eyepatch?
            -'Don't choke, don't choke, don't choke! aww I knew I was going to choke'-

Comment

Have you tried talking to an eye doctor? There might be something wrong with your "weak" eye.
              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by checkSide View Post
                Greetings Peeps.

I have noticed something very disturbing in the past couple of days.

I have a dominant right eye. If I close my left eye when selecting my line and getting down on the shot, I virtually never miss! Using one eye has proved to me that my brain can recognise almost all the potting angles.

Not wanting to play with one eye closed.....!! I have now started to experiment with different head positions and angles in an attempt to exploit my dominant eye and place the cue directly in line with it.

Nothing seems to be working. I can't pot anywhere near as well, or see the angles as clearly as if I play with my left eye closed.

Has anyone been through this?? Has anyone managed to adapt and improve their game by using their dominant eye??

Can anyone help with some advice??

Cheers.
                Yes, is my answer.
                Actually, at home when I am practicing solo, I get an eyepatch (from a kids pirate costume) and wear that for half hour or so on my left eye, as I am right eye dominant.
                Once I take it off, the potting and sight from both eyes is very much on track.
                I actually know a couple of guys with one eye that play and they say they never have a problem recognising the potting angle, only the depth..as you would imagine.
                Cheers.
                Last edited by barracuda911; 29 April 2009, 11:08 AM.

Comment

The great Joe Davis was almost blind in his right eye...

Comment

Originally Posted by C-J View Post
                    make sure you cue straight to your aiming point.If you feel strong need for adjustment don't blame your dominent eye but line up again until you feel comfortable.Concentrate on cueing straight and slow,especially after the last pause.Hold your cue as loose as possible and feel what your muscles do or want to do.Take it from there and don't give to much attention to the dominant eye,then after some time you will move it in the right place automatically.That's what worked for me but it took me sometime......

cheers,C-J
                    I realised this is not the ecxact order how i managed to cope with it.I was in fact already lining the shot up with my left eye and cueing from under it slightly.This was more of a fine tuning state for me.

@omehenk; i'v been playing for 8 years in my twenties,not to seriously.Then had a break for ten years.Took it up 3,5 years ago,putting in a lot of solo practice trying to see how far i could take it.Always stuggled with the dominent eye but i think i'm on top of it now

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Comment

Working...
                      X