Playing the cue ball from the cushion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing the cue ball from the cushion

Playing the cue ball from the cushion has always been a bit of a problem for me. For once, when I do my practice routines I always try hardest not to leave the cue ball on the cushion, if I do, I usually repeat the shot and try to leave it in a better position.

However, that's obviously not possible while playing. So quite often, there's relatively straightforward shots from the cushion that I miss and it's really bad for my game.

So the problem is that the cushion somewhat "interferes" with my vision. Also when i play the loop bridge which is necessary sometimes, the forefinger that is looping over the cue also interferes with the line of sight so I tend to keep my head somewhat above the cue which I dislike.

So the question is...how to master the cueing control while playing from the cushion? :snooker:

When do you find it neccesary to use the loop bridge out of interest?

Remember you need to practice these cusion shots. Maybe while practicing break building you can repeat the shot if you land on the cusion, but then devote some time to just playing shots from the cusion for half an hour afterwards.

I find cuing across the cusion one of the hardest things in the game. Especially those shots where you are cuing on the cusion at an angle with the white tight to the side cusion personally.
    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Good post, hopefully someone can answer this for us. I tend to cue up when playing the cue ball tight on the cushion. Practically, I have less chance of miscueing, but a touch of side can always deviate the cue ball.

Last week I was potting everything off the cushion, this was without rasing the butt of my cue, although I did have to play everything at pace for some reason.

Comment

For me. Most difficult. Scariest t00.

So I practise them from all angles and distances til I feel, well not 100% confident,
        but at least c o m f o r t a b l e.

Feeling relaxed, feeling the balance of the cue and being super attentive to striking the cueball dead centre seems to up my odds of success.

=o)

Noel

Comment

NEVER cue down on the shot from the rail. Remember these TWO key facts:

Shorten your backswing to ensure centre ball striking (You really should be avoiding side at all costs)

Hold the cue further up the shaft for maximum control.
          Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
          Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

and if in doubt... wait till your oponent looks away and move the ball a couple of inches forward with your hand

Kidding
            sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
              and if in doubt... wait till your oponent looks away and move the ball a couple of inches forward with your hand

Kidding
              Getting sloppy RG, you slip the ball into the pocket, place the white where u want and then spend the next 30mins telling them of your 'amazing' cushion shot. Well thats the way half the players in the local do it...
              -'Don't choke, don't choke, don't choke! aww I knew I was going to choke'-

Comment

When do you find it neccesary to use the loop bridge out of interest?
                I find cuing across the cusion one of the hardest things in the game. Especially those shots where you are cuing on the cusion at an angle with the white tight to the side cusion personally.
                That's when, when I have to cue from the cushion at an angle. If the angle is such that the bridge is too far from the cue ball, then I find it somewhat easier, having more control i.e. if I close the bridge with my forefinger. Or even while executing straight shots, when the bridge on the cushion is too far from the cue ball, I usually use the loop bridge.

Comment

Kidding
                  lol that would do just fine

Yes so the the problem is those angles when I have to bridge far away from the cue ball. Or when the ball is tight on the cushion. So like, if I were to strike it a touch harder, and NOT raise the butt of the cue, sometimes the cue tip would just slip off the top of the ball.

Yea I'll try holding the cue higher up and shorten the backswing. Cushion shots tomorrow it is! :snooker:

Comment

im terrible at cushion shots too, defo something i need to practice.

Comment

Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
                      NEVER cue down on the shot from the rail. Remember these TWO key facts:

Shorten your backswing to ensure centre ball striking (You really should be avoiding side at all costs)

Hold the cue further up the shaft for maximum control.
                      These two points from Roy ARE crucial...
                      if I might add another coaching tip I got from a worldclass player...
                      When striking the cueball pretend your shot is happening in slow motion...

...gently force through the cueball... NEVER EVER stab or rush the stroke.
                      There is NO room for error so relax. Take your time. Practise!

=o)

Noel

Comment

Now that you mention it...I do tend to stab the cueball when playing from cushions. I concentrate so much on potting the ball so I forget about everything else

Comment

Originally Posted by lkomarci View Post
                          Now that you mention it...I do tend to stab the cueball when playing from cushions. I concentrate so much on potting the ball so I forget about everything else
                          Just relax and look very focused on the point on the object ball you wish to hit.
                          Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

Comment

This came up in the olde 'particular type of shot' thread and I've beeing following Roy's advice and it's working well. I also remember poolqjunkie had an idea about totally changing your stance.. if my memory is still there.

Comment

Originally Posted by dantuck_7 View Post
                              This came up in the olde 'particular type of shot' thread and I've beeing following Roy's advice and it's working well. I also remember poolqjunkie had an idea about totally changing your stance.. if my memory is still there.
                              Great to hear thats what im hear for...to help you guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X