2009 english amateur championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 english amateur championships

This years Amateur final will be between Jimmy Robertson and David Craggs. The 32 regional qualifiers played down to a winner of the Southern and Northern sections on saturday and sunday. Robertson was impressive on saturday beating Reanne Evans 4 - 0 with breaks of 80, 69, 68, 68 in his first match in the Southern section. Evans not only had an opponent in good form but endured a poor run of the balls nevertheless Robertson played superbly. A hard fought next match resulted in a 4 - 3 victory over Rob James before a scintillating 4 - 0 win in the last 8, aided by a century and several high breaks over Jack Lisowski. His Southern final opponent on Sunday was Sean Bullock who was also impressive in defeating Phil Mumford 4 - 0 and then Lee Farebrother by the same score. A tricky looking tie against Brian Cox, who had just beaten Leo Fernandez proved straightforward and a 4 - 1 margin put him into the final against Robertson.
    In the best of 11 Southern final Jimmy Robertson got off to a good start and soon led 4 - 1. Sean reduced the gap to 5 - 3 but Robertson won the next to reach the final.
    Apparently in the Northern section David Craggs beat Stuart Carrington 6 - 5 to earn the right to play Robertson for the title.
    This highlights a great season for the last 4 as Robertson had lead the Pro Ticket series followed by Carrington in second and Bullock in third. His inclusion in the final means he cannot be toppled and he will be eligible for the Main Tour next season.
    If anyone has more details on the Northern section I would be interested in hearing from them.
    Robertson and Bullock are representing England in the Eoropean Championships in Belgium starting June 3rd and on current form have excellent chances in the tournament.
    Stay Positive

Very interesting, always like to hear about the amateur side of the game.

When you say that Robertson is eligible for the main tour, do you mean that he will be definitely in?
    sigpic
    http://prosnookerblog.com/

Comment

Yes thank you for including this, its great to hear of the up and coming talent very informative.
      -'Don't choke, don't choke, don't choke! aww I knew I was going to choke'-

Comment

Reading the EASB website and tournament details it indicates that he would be eligible. I presume that means he has the choice. It is very confusing. As there is less prize money these days I suppose he has to decide whether its worth having a go at the top level. He is a great player to watch, very fluent break builder and has a good temperament. If he does then I hope he does well.
        Stay Positive

Comment

Sounds like he has taken up his place from this article:

http://www.ryeandbattleobserver.co.u...our.5234453.jp

Though there are no quotes...
          sigpic
          http://prosnookerblog.com/

Comment

i can find out for you, my team mate is very good friends with david craggs, i will try and find out some info on the northern section, i was very suprised reading this that micheal rhodes did not win the northern section

Comment

Thanks nostawmail and Matt2745.
              Stay Positive

Comment

Originally Posted by KelvinJones View Post
                Reading the EASB website and tournament details it indicates that he would be eligible. I presume that means he has the choice. It is very confusing. As there is less prize money these days I suppose he has to decide whether its worth having a go at the top level. He is a great player to watch, very fluent break builder and has a good temperament. If he does then I hope he does well.
                Although the English Amateur Championship contributes double points to the EASB National Ranking List, Jimmy Robertson is so far ahead that he cannot now be overtaken and will therefore be nominated to World Snooker to fill one of the two main tour places which are available to England. The other place will go to the winner of a play-off involving the remaining top 32 ranked players.

Comment

Working...
                X