Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Generates much spin without dropping the elbow??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generates much spin without dropping the elbow??

Hey there ,
    i have a question regarding neil robertson's stroke,
    he seems to be able to play powerful spin shots without dropping the elbow.
    im wondering how can he generate the spin with such little follow through.
    this is a video on it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1s_IA5pV5g
    if i were to play that shot i will have to really drop my elbow and follow through to the max ><

That's a very interesting question and the video example is an excellent demonstration of how, as some people have discussed on here before, you don't need loads of follow through to create an enormous ammount of back spin.
    If you play-and-pause this video at the critical time (when Robertson's cue strikes the cue-ball) You'll see that his cue actually goes skyward for a split second before coming back down. Without dropping his elbow, he is using a simple pendulum type action and this could be the reason for this happening.
    As far as I have always understood it, dropping the elbow can help with potting and positional accuracy, straight cueing and can also help you keep still on the shot, but doesn't seem neccessary for cue power.
    After all, the cue tip is only in contact with the cue-ball for a fraction of a second anyway - probably on the first few millimetres of follow through, depending on how soft your tip is.
    Robertson however is obviously a prodigious talent and had no trouble potting this and screwing back without dropping his elbow.

Comment

oh thanks for the explaination...
      but my coach told me that the elbow should not drop.:\ he always uses the young stephen hendry and robertson for example when teaching me .

Comment

Look at Robertson's wrist and he 'flicks' it just like Jimmy White and Steve James (and a host of others) used to do to generate more power.

The problem with this cue action and using the wrist instead of dropping the elbow is as you age the precise coordination required is gone and when using the wrist it's vital there never be any sideways movement of the wrist.

Controlling the sideways movement is much easier for most people by dropping the elbow. Also, some people start right out dropping the elbow and are able to generate their power that way.

Tell your coach this and also check for wrist movement from Robertson and then decide which way you want to go, as neither is really 'wrong' but perhaps the elbow drop is a little more correct for the majority of people.

Terry

Comment

Robertson accelerates through the cue ball which gives him a great amount of cue power. That is the key and it is something you cannot really teach. Jimmy white did not used to drop his elbow and still got loads of cue power. I think it is just easier to accelerate through the white if you drop the elbow as it is nearly impossible to decelerate the cue at the same time as dropping the elbow so that is why it is easier to do it that way. Obviously, by dropping the elbow you also get through the white further which helps a player to accelerate as they go through the white.
          coaching is not just for the pros
          www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

When the elbow begins to drop the cue ball has already left the cue tip a long time ago. So to drop or not is really down to personal preferrence.

Comment

Originally Posted by CoachGavin View Post
              Robertson accelerates through the cue ball which gives him a great amount of cue power. That is the key and it is something you cannot really teach. Jimmy white did not used to drop his elbow and still got loads of cue power. I think it is just easier to accelerate through the white if you drop the elbow as it is nearly impossible to decelerate the cue at the same time as dropping the elbow so that is why it is easier to do it that way. Obviously, by dropping the elbow you also get through the white further which helps a player to accelerate as they go through the white.
              ohh thanks for the explaination.. you remind me of my coach beacause he would always say 'accelerates through the cue ball with a "STOP" after the follow through' to me whenever i did not strike the cueball properly.

Comment

I do not really know what is ment by dropping the elbow.. anyone got a video?
                WVandeweyer Photography - Trevor White Cues Photo Collection (site)

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfQ00tfBnJM
                  both shots with elbow dropping done by ronnie o sullivan .

Comment

Originally Posted by BryanLimSg@TSF
                    Hey there ,

i have a question regarding neil robertson's stroke,

he seems to be able to play powerful spin shots without dropping the elbow.

im wondering how can he generate the spin with such little follow through.

this is a video on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1s_IA5pV5g

if i were to play that shot i will have to really drop my elbow and follow through to the max ><

Originally posted at Http://thesnookerforum.com/board

IMO Neil lifted his head at the very end to generate the power. There are many clips in youtube that show him doing that on other power shots.

On the other hand elbow droppers like ronnie keep their head and body still during power shot. I prefer the later as it feels more smooth and easier to keep a straighter cueing. Check out smooth cueist like Mark Selby.

I think law of physic is still in play here; all things being equal, either you lift your head or drop your elbow to create more room for power play.

Comment

Working...
                    X