A failsafe break off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A failsafe break off

When breaking off I generally place the white fairly close to the yellow ball and play the last corner red with right hand side to swing the cue ball back across the table.

generally I get the shot about 7/10 as I somethimes use to much/not enough side usually resulting in either hitting the blue or catching the centre jaw.

Is th there a failsafe break off shot which can be played plain ball to good effect?

There are 2 break-off shots you can do with centre-ball striking. The first is place the white close to the brown and play the end red 1/4-ball to bring the cueball up to the right of the blue and hopefully to the baulk cushion behind the yellow ball.

The second is a little trickier but those that use it have really good results with it but the odd time will catch the jaws of the top pocket. This is using the 3rd red up, hitting it less that 1/4-ball with top spin. This brings the cueball close to the top pocket and swings it to the left of the blue to end up near the baulk cushion behind the green. This is a much more agressive break-off shot as it breaks out a lot of reds and I doubt very much you will see it used by the pros as nowadays with all those reds loose if that cueball is not frozen to the baulk cushion a pro is going to pot a ball and amass a big break.

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Although I don't like the way John Higgins' games (very2 tactical), but I like the way he break the pack in the opening frame. The cueball is always end up around behind the yellow area with few loose reds are available and very tempting his oponent to continue (or not) with the long pot. At the same time, at least 1 or two reds already blocking the black.

I wonder how did he do it? Any side spin shot?
      Last edited by brendan147; 16 December 2009, 04:38 AM.
      My cueing sucks

Comment

Thanks Terry.

i will give those 2 techniques a go this weekend

Comment

brendan:

Higgins normally breaks off from the green side of the 'D' using top left on the cueball to swing the cueball around the blue, hitting the side cushion about 6in before the baulk line on the yellow side of the table and hopefully ending up frozen to the baulk cushion behind the yellow ball.

His break-off is a mirror image of a normal right-handed break-off shot and he does that as most of the pros are used to getting a long pot from the normal break-off on the left side of the table.

I don't know if he gets any real advantage from his break as compared to if he did the normal one for a right-hander from the yellow side of the 'D'.

Terry
          Terry Davidson

Comment

Terry Thanks for the posts. You've got me thinking now. I've broken off the same way all my life (trying to copy the professionals) and sometimes it works and sometimes I collide with the blue. I've always believed that when I hit the blue its because I hadn't followed through with the cue properly. The truth is nobody has ever explained to me how to break off so I'll have a go at your suggestions.
            Could I describe my break-off shot to you to see if you can tell me how it's it's flawed?
            I'm left handed and put the white an inch from the yellow. I try to apply a fair bit of right hand side to the white and make sure I follow through. I'm aiming to hit the last red about quarter ball and bring the white down the left hand side of the table to rest in baulk behind the green. From your post it looks like I'm hitting the wrong red and should be using top spin and not right hand side.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
              brendan:

Higgins normally breaks off from the green side of the 'D' using top left on the cueball to swing the cueball around the blue, hitting the side cushion about 6in before the baulk line on the yellow side of the table and hopefully ending up frozen to the baulk cushion behind the yellow ball.

His break-off is a mirror image of a normal right-handed break-off shot and he does that as most of the pros are used to getting a long pot from the normal break-off on the left side of the table.

I don't know if he gets any real advantage from his break as compared to if he did the normal one for a right-hander from the yellow side of the 'D'.

Terry
              Terry:-

1) Using top left spin, how much the power level we should use to break the pack in the opening frame? P4/P5?; &

2) "I don't know if he gets any real advantage from his break as compared to if he did the normal one for a right-hander from the yellow side of the 'D'". The only advantage I can always see is his opponent will not able to get the maximum since the black is always blocked by a loose red or more. Just my opinion though...

Thanks...
              Last edited by brendan147; 16 December 2009, 01:20 PM.
              My cueing sucks

Comment

bigmeek:

No, you're doing it right except for one small (very small) thing. Move the cueball over towards the brown, where it is maybe 2in from the brown and still use your 1/4-ball last red and hit the cueball at about 2 o'clock but not on the extreme edge (not a ton of siding) say maybe 2 tip widths aways from the exact centre of the cueball towards 2 o'clock.

The siding a top spin should guarantee you miss the blue (unless as you say you are not coming through the cueball correctly so not getting the side-top spin) and if you get the weight correct, it should hit the side cushion somewhere just below the baulk line and end up near the baulk cushion somewhere near to behind the green.

The advantage of this one is if you over-hit it a bit then there's avery good chance you'll end up right behind the green, but don't play for that...play to freeze that white ball on the baulk cushion.

Terry
                Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                  bigmeek:

No, you're doing it right except for one small (very small) thing. Move the cueball over towards the brown, where it is maybe 2in from the brown and still use your 1/4-ball last red and hit the cueball at about 2 o'clock but not on the extreme edge (not a ton of siding) say maybe 2 tip widths aways from the exact centre of the cueball towards 2 o'clock.

The siding a top spin should guarantee you miss the blue (unless as you say you are not coming through the cueball correctly so not getting the side-top spin) and if you get the weight correct, it should hit the side cushion somewhere just below the baulk line and end up near the baulk cushion somewhere near to behind the green.

The advantage of this one is if you over-hit it a bit then there's avery good chance you'll end up right behind the green, but don't play for that...play to freeze that white ball on the baulk cushion.

Terry
                  Thanks Terry, thats really helpful and I'll give it a go. I can see how top spin will make a difference and the "2 tip widths" comment is particularly helpful. I never really know where to hit the white and think I probably just try to get as much side as possible.

Comment

the bereak i use which tends to work well for me, is cue ball next to the brown (about 1 cm from it, aim at the 2nd to last red on yellow side 1/4 ball with a lot of right hand side..

usually end up with cue ball on or just off the cushion behind the green, with only 2 or 3 reds out in the open

Comment

Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
                      the bereak i use which tends to work well for me, is cue ball next to the brown (about 1 cm from it, aim at the 2nd to last red on yellow side 1/4 ball with a lot of right hand side..

usually end up with cue ball on or just off the cushion behind the green, with only 2 or 3 reds out in the open
                      That's really2 defensive play...with only 2 or 3 loose reds...it become a negative defense. Opponent might just roll the cue ball towards the pack to get the touching ball and give you some awkward situation. However your opponent still in big disadvantage though. Play it well mate....!!!
                      Last edited by brendan147; 16 December 2009, 02:17 PM.
                      My cueing sucks

Comment

Originally Posted by brendan147 View Post
                        That's really2 defensive play...with only 2 or 3 loose reds...it become a negative defense. Opponent might just roll the cue ball towards the pack to get the touching ball and give you some awkward situation. However your opponent still in big disadvantage though. Play it well mate....!!!
                        it works for me, and if they roll up for a touching ball, then its advantage me... i can play straight back to baulk and go for snooker behind any of the colours

and what is wrong with defensive play when it comes to the berak, thats the whole point most of the time of the break off shot, to leave it safe and defend against them getting a pot or two from it

Comment

it works for me, and if they roll up for a touching ball, then its advantage me... i can play straight back to baulk and go for snooker behind any of the colours

and what is wrong with defensive play when it comes to the berak, thats the whole point most of the time of the break off shot, to leave it safe and defend against them getting a pot or two from it
                          Nothing wrong with that...
                          All I said was defensive play can be into positive/negative game...play it well mate...
                          My cueing sucks

Comment

Good one...I do this ...but I aim for the third or fourth red down to split the reds more...

Comment

Working...
                            X