Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shot Selection Problem?

Hello to all on TSF,

Have a question/querry for some fellow players. Typically when im playing a frame of snooker and starting a break I often come across the same old problem, should I just take the simple pot that will guarentee more points but no easy positioning onto next ball then play safe or do I take on a slightly more difficult pot which will lead me to 5 or 6 pretty simple pots. Id say about 90% of the time im thinking 4 shots ahead so the simple pot but out of position is always dismissed, just wondering what peoples opinions are on this situation. Are you better getting points on the board and missing opertunities to get a decent break or take the shot on knowing if you make it your onto a decent break but if you miss theres a chance you wont be at the table for a while.

Chris
    Back at snooker after many years away.

Highest Match Break 53.
    Highest Practise Break 78.

I also face this dilemma.

I think it depends on what kind of match you are playing.

The format in my league is one frame matches. Therefore it is sometimes better to take the points that are available and keep it tight. Despite the fact the "correct" shot is probably a difficult ball with the hope of opening up the opportunity to make a big break.

Also if you haven't reached the standard where you can make big frame winning breaks, (very high standard), it's risky to leave opportunities to good players in one frame matches.

On the other hand, if you are playing non-competitively, or in longer best of 5+ matches, it is worth taking some risks to make big breaks and kill off your opponent. As if you miss, you've only potentially lost one frame.

That's my two pence worth!

Cheers.

Comment

Whats your hb? Average break if left "in"? At 1st glance of your thread id say 4 shots ahead will do your game more harm than good. Just a thought.
      Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
      Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

ChrisB,

Here are my opinions:-

1) I remember 1 of Steve Davis advise, which he said just think 1 ball at a time. What he meant by that could be like this: Concentrate on the pot and cue ball control only at 1 OB at a time. Then you develop from there. However, IMHO it is worthy not to take the pot if you know your cue ball will end up out of position. Your safety game is needed in this kind of situation. ; &

2) Depends on your opponent. If he play tactically, then it could be very2 tricky for you (in other words your safety play is the main concern here). If he play the attacking style, then it could be more fun on the break building (in other words both of you taking the chances even it is 50-50 or even worse).

Maybe the other members can add some more here...
        Last edited by brendan147; 24 December 2009, 03:55 AM.
        My cueing sucks

Comment

For about 80 per cent of my pot choices, I choose the pots that give more precise cue ball control. This gives me higher probability of landing easier pots on other balls. My overall objective is to reduce the number of available reds for the opponent to use to catch up, even if I don't achieve a high break.

Comment

Originally Posted by Lux View Post
            For about 80 per cent of my pot choices, I choose the pots that give more precise cue ball control. This gives me higher probability of landing easier pots on other balls. My overall objective is to reduce the number of available reds for the opponent to use to catch up, even if I don't achieve a high break.
            That's quite defensive game...and can make your opponent gggrrrrrr......
            My cueing sucks

Comment

Originally Posted by brendan147 View Post
              ChrisB,

Here are my opinions:-

1) I remember 1 of Steve Davis advise, which he said just think 1 ball at a time. What he meant by that could be like this: Concentrate on the pot and cue ball control only at 1 OB at a time. Then you develop from there. However, IMHO it is worthy not to take the pot if you know your cue ball will end up out of position. Your safety game is needed in this kind of situation. ; &
              Steve Davis must have said that for a very sound and valid reason, however when ever I find my self doing that, I get stuck and either left with a difficult pot\easy pot but lots of cue ball work which both will eventually lead to missing the pot and handing the floor to your opponent, or playing safe which for an offensive type of player is a misery and knocks you out of the rythem!

If you look at it, it's more of a continuous cycle, if you think one shot ahead, okay I want to stun the red with moderate pace and leave my self easily on the black with angle. You execute the shot, look around then go like Darrrrrrn! If I left my self straighter on the black, or if I left my self low on the black, I would easily continue my break but now I need some exhibitional shot which will probably send me off the table!
              It's not the pace of life that concerns me... It's whether I make a 147 break before it ends!
              Quote © to Craftman Cues.

Comment

Working...
              X