No announcement yet.

Using the rest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terry I'm not too bad with the rest but always trying to improve of course. One thing I'm curious about is what to do about positioning the rest. I see from your note that the rest should be on the bed of the table. I assume that the rest should be parallel with the line of the cue? What should you do when there's no space to get the rest flat on the table. Sometimes I play the shot with the rest off the bed and sometimes I play with the rest at an angle to the cue even though this means the cue is not really going through the V of the rest correctly. Whats best?

Comment

Always try to line up the rest with the cue if at all possible and place the rest on the bed of the table if possible, holding it with your bridge hand on both sides of the rest shaft.

If it's not possible then just do the best you can as the important thing is to have the rest very still and stable.

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
        Always try to line up the rest with the cue if at all possible and place the rest on the bed of the table if possible, holding it with your bridge hand on both sides of the rest shaft.

If it's not possible then just do the best you can as the important thing is to have the rest very still and stable.

Terry
        Thanks Terry.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
          Great advice from Terry, but I would add that you always use the low X of the rest, even when applying top, and keep the follow through as short as possible to avoid putting the shoulder into the shot.
          I will re-phrase by saying keep the follow through as short as necessary rather than possible. Remember that rather than using the bicep muscle of the arm on the final stroke, a rest shot uses the tricep muscle, which is of course much weaker, and the tendency when playing a power shot with the rest is to play from the shoulder. This is as wrong as playing from the shoulder with a normal shot, only the elbow must move before the white is struck.
          This emphasis on a long follow through from some coaches is entirely counterproductive for the majority. Just because Ronnie does it everyone seems to believe that it's the right way to go, well it isn't, what works for Ronnie doesn't work for everyone.
          Watch Jmmy White at his very best in the link below, hardly follows through at all, even on the power rest shot at 5.17.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-ZGRPWeyL4

Comment

Working...
          X