Alignment/Dominant Eye Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alignment/Dominant Eye Question...

My question is about exactly where you should put the cue under your chin when you have a dominant eye. When I do the test (pointing at a piece of chalk at the other end of the table) it shows that my right eye is dominant. It's way off with my left eye and dead on with my right.

Does this mean the cue should ideally be directly under my right eye? More specifically, if I close my left eye when down on the shot, should everything in the picture be dead in line for a dead straight pot - cue, balls and pocket?

Naturally I get down with the cue somewhere in the middle. I've even read somewhere that if you're right eye dominant you can adjust by slightly favoring your left eye.

I played snooker today for the second or third time in a year or two. I was not good. I've played some pool recently (American) and not been very good at that either. I am not seeing the shots very well and it's driving me nuts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Actually, I'm amazed that you would ask the question since you say 'played snooker today for the second or third time in a year or two'

With that little practice I'm surprised you're 'seeing' the balls at all!

To answer your question (with a non-answer though), where to have the cue, whether under the master (or dominant) eye or centre chin is a matter of great debate and really it's up to you to decide what you think is best for you.

One thing I would advise is if you can find a coach with the 'Site Right' device you give that a try and it will show you the way for your vision.

I recommend if a player is right-handed but his preferred eye is his left (like myself after eye surgery) that he turn his head slightly to the right to bring the left eye more over the cue. Vice-versa for a right eye dominant player.

However, centre-chin works too and it's all a matter of determining what's best for YOU. A session with a good coach would help.

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Thank you for the (non) answer!

Really, I might as well have been playing blindfolded. I could see balls on the table but it wasn't doing me much good.

I have been playing American pool a fair bit recently and I'm having the same problem, it just shows up in snooker more clearly where I have to be more accurate to make the ball. A lot of the time I feel unsure of the angle, or it just doesn't look right. I used to play snooker roughly once a week and I don't think I ever figured this out then. I never spent too much time thinking about technique.

Thanks for the advice, anyway - I'll try some different things and see if I can make any sense of it. If not, I'll look into a session with a coach.

Out of curiosity, would my description of 'everything being in line' fit you when your right eye is closed on the shot?

Comment

I've been having problems with this since starting to play snooker again after a 13 year break. I've been at it again now for around six years, but the problem remains. I think that the main problem is, is that I let my left eye deliver to much info to my brain which I then take heed of!

I know that that sounds a bit daft as I have to laugh at myself for saying it! But if you are playing really try to concentrate on the info that your right eye delivers if you are right eyed that is. It's hard to do but on the days that you manage it, you'll be potting like the pro's!

The next problem is the consistency problem! This potting like the pro's comes and goes at the drop of a switch. then it's very depressing to find yourself missing the easiest of pots! Near to tears sometimes!

If anybody can help me on this, I'd be very thankful! I'd even buy you a pint or maybe even a bucket full!

Bry.
        Quote : It took me eight hours a day for 16 years to become an overnight sensation! Cliff Thorburn

Comment

Nobody can tell you this. Terry is spot on when he says you need a device to show you when you are sighting straight. I have the sightright board and have been on a one day clinic with Stephen Feeney and both are excellent. I was aiming slightly left of target and also applying a touch of left hand side even though every thing looked in a straight line to me!!!! Everyones eyes are different, some equal strength some have a bias. Find out for yourself.

Comment

Originally Posted by Strickimicki View Post
            I've been having problems with this since starting to play snooker again after a 13 year break. I've been at it again now for around six years, but the problem remains. I think that the main problem is, is that I let my left eye deliver to much info to my brain which I then take heed of!

I know that that sounds a bit daft as I have to laugh at myself for saying it! But if you are playing really try to concentrate on the info that your right eye delivers if you are right eyed that is. It's hard to do but on the days that you manage it, you'll be potting like the pro's!

The next problem is the consistency problem! This potting like the pro's comes and goes at the drop of a switch. then it's very depressing to find yourself missing the easiest of pots! Near to tears sometimes!

If anybody can help me on this, I'd be very thankful! I'd even buy you a pint or maybe even a bucket full!

Bry.
            Work hard on keeping your head still and cueing straight.Don't let your focus influence this.

Comment

Originally Posted by T.C. View Post
              Nobody can tell you this. Terry is spot on when he says you need a device to show you when you are sighting straight. I have the sightright board and have been on a one day clinic with Stephen Feeney and both are excellent. I was aiming slightly left of target and also applying a touch of left hand side even though every thing looked in a straight line to me!!!! Everyones eyes are different, some equal strength some have a bias. Find out for yourself.
              I would still like to hear how others have went about it, I might find something useful. I also think I'm putting on a touch of left hand side!

I plan on playing an awful lot of straight shots next time I'm at the table...

Comment

Hi Nugget,

Play the long blue with run, try to pot both balls ( White & blue) into the top pockets. On a good day I'll get between 10 - 12 ( with white )from the 21 balls into the top pocket. My record is at 15 from 21, so I would say that's not bad. On a bad day which as I mentioned comes around to often, I won't pot the blue never mind the white following through in the same pocket!

If that's to difficult, as it is a hard shot to play in my opinion, play the same shot with pink into the corner or harder still into the middle pockets!

But that won't cause the problem to go away, it's just shows that you can do it on a good day!
                Last edited by Strickimicki; 2 April 2010, 07:08 AM.
                Quote : It took me eight hours a day for 16 years to become an overnight sensation! Cliff Thorburn

Comment

Originally Posted by Strickimicki View Post

But that won't cause the problem to go away, it's just shows that you can do it on a good day!
                  Actually this is something that I would recommend until you find where the cue should be under your chin. I battled this lop sidedness for years and even though I was consistently missing slightly to the one side every time, I never found the right shift. For many years I tried cuing under the dominant eye which worked well in practice but not when under pressure, so a couple of years ago I went back to cuing under the centre. But of late I am finding that with the cue under the weaker eye it works much better and I have been potting the blue off its spot consistently for a change, and now potting longer shots that I haven't potted for many years.

And here is my point... practice long straight shots while shifting the cue under your chin until you find some consistency. As in my case it may end up where you least expect it and no other person or coach* would have picked it. Also, try it over a few days before you decide because different degrees of tiredness may affect that alignment.

*Yes I am a registered snooker coach with the Dept of Sport in Australia :-)

Comment

Its not sighting properly which causes the inconsistency. I was cueing across the ball to the left, but subconciously adjusted for it. When my timing was good i could knock the long ones in no probs. But, when my timing as off a bit, i'd miss them all. I didnt realise i was cueing across because everything looked straight thru to me. This made me doubt myself thinking i had the potting angle wrong, thinking my cueing was all wrong, it really screwed me up.
                    I think a lot of players are in the same boat.
                    But, if you can find the point at which you are straight (and it may look totally different when ur down on the shot) then consistency should greatly improve.

Comment

Just a little note here on this debate.

If you get the SightRite device and give it a try it will point the way to getting you correctly aligned and 'seeing' the shot correctly with your preferred eye.

However, just remember, most shots are missed because the technique you have is not consistently delivering the cue straight. This is often caused by slight body movement during the backswing/delivery.

No matter how bad your sight is your brain will eventually make the correct adjustment as long as you observe what's happening with your missed shots by staying down on the shot after delivery.

Remember the 4 basics that I stress in a few strings on here and if you stick to them faithfully and do them on EVERY shot you will improve, no matter how you're sighting the ball

Terry
                      Terry Davidson
                      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Hi Terry,

thanks for giving your opinion here, as I personally think it very interesting. But this Sight Right has been pulled to bits on this very forum by many accomplished players. Have you tried it? If so what exactly does it do?

I've kept my fingers away from it basically because most people seem to think it's a piece of cardboard with a line on it!

Go on terry, give us all some insight!

thanks,

Bry.

Comment

I honestly have never thought about eye dominance.. I seem to be blessed with a dimple in my chin in which the cue rests perfectly(haha) and I just tend to line up the shot and play it and have never thought about it before.. I guess with my head being dead centre of the cur it doesn't really matter in my circumstance by I'm not sure...
                          what a frustrating, yet addictive game this is....

Comment

Luke Hooper : I honestly have never thought about eye dominance.. I seem to be blessed with a dimple in my chin in which the cue rests perfectly(haha) and I just tend to line up the shot and play it and have never thought about it before.. I guess with my head being dead centre of the cur it doesn't really matter in my circumstance by I'm not sure...
                            How's your potting? How high is your highest break? How long have you been playing?

Comment

I have been playing since September 09 when I was called up to the clubs team after having a few "mess around" games with my dad whilst having a drink..originally I was a substitute but since I have practiced I am now a first team player since oct 09 and my highest break is a 67 clearance. I have had a number of 65's but unfortunately have not been able to break 67, yet...

I feel confident enough to make a 30/40 break in a frame given an opportunity, I have never had a coach however I am a bit of an addict and do play everyday sometimes all day... Lol
                              what a frustrating, yet addictive game this is....

Comment

Working...
                              X