Neil Robertson coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by stjimmy18-1991 View Post
    did you have any hand in helping him develop his amazing cue power?
    i will say this i had alot 2 do with neil in all aspects of the game we spent lots of hours together coaching intally and then many more hours playing

Comment

Originally Posted by b147r View Post
      i will say this i had alot 2 do with neil in all aspects of the game we spent lots of hours together coaching intally and then many more hours playing
      robertson is my favourite player and i really admire how straight he delivers the cue. was it a case of ironing out alot of his old technique faults to help him deliver the cue straight or did he have an almost perfect cue action naturally? im working towards cueing as straight as him in my own game. i also noticed he doesn't drop his elbow on the final delivery like other players do. how does he generate so much action on the cue ball by keeping his elbow up?
      Crucible77's Bahrain Championship Fantasy Game Winner 2008 :snooker:

HB practice: 112
      HB match: 81

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
        Surprisingly, a lot of players look at the cueball when they deliver the cue, insisting that if they don't move at all then the aiming line of the cue should remain where it was during feathering.

There is a very good player here in the Toronto area who insists that is the way to go and also I've heard Peter Ebdon does that too, but can't confirm that until I check some video out.

There are about 3 or 4 eye rhythm techniques the various pros use, any one of which is fine but none of them include looking at the cueball at time of striking it. They are:
        1. When feathering, eyes go between OB and CB, at front pause eyes are on cueball and move to the object ball at the start of the backswing.
        2. Same as above but eyes go to OB at rear pause.
        3. Just before striking the cueball, eyes flick to CB for one last check and then go to OB at strike. (I have a very hard time showing this one and can't pot a ball with it).
        4. The one I have to use is after feathering at front pause eyes to OB and stay there until end of delivery. (I think this might be due to age as my eyes seem to require more time these days to focus on the OB so my front pause is a little longer than most)

I believe the most common among the top pros is the eyes move to the OB just before or during the rear pause.

The reason I use my method is I don't really have a rear pause, or at least a very short one at 100 milliseconds or so since the cue has to stop to change direction. A slow, slow backswing will help those without a good rear pause however I do not recommend keeping the eyes on the CB at delivery of the cue.

Terry
        hi terry my name is brett i can assure you the terchnique that you use is the best way 2 sight a ball as it complementsa everything in your action and gives you the best chance of success i see evrerything else as a tyechnicall error cheers

Comment

Originally Posted by stjimmy18-1991 View Post
          robertson is my favourite player and i really admire how straight he delivers the cue. was it a case of ironing out alot of his old technique faults to help him deliver the cue straight or did he have an almost perfect cue action naturally? im working towards cueing as straight as him in my own game. i also noticed he doesn't drop his elbow on the final delivery like other players do. how does he generate so much action on the cue ball by keeping his elbow up?
          theres alot of facets in neils action which we worked with but im sry but im not going 2 go into that here im sry but ill say this he had alot of good qualitys 2 work with obviously

Comment

theres alot of facets in neils action which we worked with but im sry but im not going 2 go into that here im sry but ill say this he had alot of good qualitys 2 work with obviously
            in response 2 your question the reason neil action is as pure and cxlean as it is is because one hesa cue is the right lengh meaning he can go thru the ball without moving hence not dropping the elbow this also allows him 2 be back alittle further which brings the cue higher on hes chest and flater 2 the tbl so he delivers the cue with the full face of the tip thru the ball and flat meaning the cue is level on impact and thru hes follow thru creating perfect timming

Comment

hope that helps and makes sense

Comment

hope that helps and makes sense
                thanks, but it sounds like its just his cue thats responsible for the way he gets through the ball, surely this would apply to everyone out there. there is something that seperates him from the rest of the crowd.

Comment

dont fall on the cue with youyr chest fall flat with your chest the cue will come 2 u

Comment

yes pefect technique every thing enhancing everything else ..talent..and belife..as you may have noticed neil does not move at all all hes power comes from a pivot point on hes elbow likew a pendgulum his balance is so correct that it creates pefect timing with all aspects in pefect sinque with his timing make sense?it is a complete action working 4 him nothing is negative from hes address 2 the ball right thru 2 the shot is totally complete

Comment

So what exactly did you work with neil to help him gain a much straighter cue action right now myself im still cueing across the ball even though generally my technique is pretty solid what are the main things you worked with to avoid cueing across the ball in general?

thanks
                      Age:17 full time snooker player hoping to get somewhere in the future!

Comment

thanks alot for your reponses, i find it fascinating. how does neil robertson's grip come into play with all of this? on his final backswing i noticed his whole hand opens beautifully as shown in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLvV1...eature=related around 0.27 seconds.

Comment

as its quiet obv neil delivers the cue totally st8 in order 2 do this u must have all parts of your setup balanced this means your weight and body distrubition we worked on this 2 get hes technique as it is so he he can cue from the elbow with freedom and power hard 2 explain here but thats the key principle balance and freedom of the cue action this creates pefect or as close 2 pefect as you can get hope that helps

Comment

so say im cueing across the ball to the right could one of the contributing factors be that i am not totally balanced hence causing me to cue across the ball on delivery?
                            Age:17 full time snooker player hoping to get somewhere in the future!

Comment

yes thats right balance m8 there is no flaw in neil action it is as good as it gets if theres a error 2 begin all your doing is correcting errors with error ...with neil from back of the shot he begins hes set up up on the right line and then continues 2 address the shot with pefect balance all leading 2 the pivot point from hes elbow theres the answer not from hes muscles or wrist or wat ever but from a pivot point 2 do this u must be pefectly balanced so when neil cues hes balanced and free thats it he has the best action i have ever seen

Comment

yes deffinatly the key is being cemetrical if u know wat i mean

Comment

Working...
                                X