Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are a few reasons which will cause this. They are:

1. Grip too tight
    2. Getting your shoulder into the shot (head movement)
    3. Cue angle too steep
    4. Not chalking up (easy to fix)
    5. Gripping the cue too tight and too early
    6. Not driving the grip hand all the way through to the chest.

Corrective actions are:

1. Easy, loosen the grip and KEEP IT LOOSE until well after you DRIVE through the cue ball. The grip shouldn't tighten on the cue until the back of the grip hand thumb hits the chest and this will ensure you accelerate THROUGH AND PAST the cueball. This takes care of #5 and #6 as well.

2. A lot of players will get their shoulder into the shot in an attempt to get more power. This is usually coupled with gripping the cue too tight and too early. To cue this 'brace' the right shoulder back and up as far as you can COMFORTABLY get it. Also, an exercise...grip the cue normally but across your chest with the shaft resting in the crook of the elbow of your bent left arm. Now 'play the violin' and allow your grip hand to open and close normally with the CUE PUSHING THE BACK FINGERS OUT OF THE WAY.

3. As said on here by someone, the cue should be one chalk's height off the cushion rail.

4. Never Mind

5. The is the most common problem with almost any player of any level. You MUST ensure you do not tighten the grip on the cue until AFTER it hits the cueball. Timing is everything in this game.

6. Sounds easy, but this is another common fault, especially on low power shots. YOUR HAND MUST HIT YOUR CHEST ON EVERY SHOT (ecxcept where the two balls are close together). This includes playing off the cushion especially.

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Guys,

Thanks the replies. I will digest and put your suggestions into practice on my table.

I have already learned so much here that has helped improve my game considerably.

This is really a great forum :snooker:

Comment

Lifting up any part of the body/arm head etc could result in cueing down on or across the cue ball and a miscue, you must keep everything still and push the cue through straight and on a level plane, I also like to try and keep the cue on my bridge hand for the whole stroke and not launch it into the light as I have seen on some power draws. I aim about 1/2 to 1 tip off the cloth for really deep draw, a nice dome shape on the tip helps too.
        For an exercise start off with shorter draw shots and work your way up to get the feel. Don't try to over power the shot as this will cause you to loose control.

Comment

a very light grip on the cue helps me when wanting to play a very deep screw.
          My Flickr

Comment

I posted some videos here which might help:
            http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...ad.php?t=26938
            Last edited by nrage; 15 September 2010, 11:05 AM.
            "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
            - Linus Pauling

Comment

Good timing, smooth cueing and followthrough are a must for generating backspin.
              My deep screw shot
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

good shot sunny bro.. and where are u loacted in india ... ???

Comment

beside everyone mentioned, just wondering, does tips also play a main part with the deep screw back? The reason i ask is because i found that after i switched to a new tip, i can generate huge amount of deep screw shot..

Comment

Working...
                  X