Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything has changed..

Ok, i need some serious help

i didnt play throughout August (more or less) i had a break for around 6 weeks from snooker...just due to work, and then i went on holiday to zante, in zante i played a lot of american pool and won a pool tournament out there..

when i came back, refreshed from a 6 week or so break from snooker, i felt good, i potted some decent balls, was gaining position everything was going well

over the past month i seemed to of changed absoloutely everything...my stance has changed, i cant seem to find a comfortable stance that is sturdy enough to keep me still...my cueing has changed, im all out of sync, im sighting wrong, im missing rediculously easy balls, im over hitting, under hitting...

i dont understand how or why...im wondering whether its because i cant find a decent stance and because of htat my back hand is not right and so thats putting my cueing out...and im missing because my cueing is awful... ive no faith in my tip either lol i am going to change it, im getting frustrated to the max when before i was as cool as a cucumber (sort of) its just driving me to the point of insanity haha i constantly think about it and it bugs me... even my practice routines are just terrible and i get so disheartened i seriously dont want to play anymore!

and THEN, ill go and knock in 3 breaks over 30 in a row...and things are perfect again...

until the next frame..

there is no consistency, its good for a brief brief moment, and then it is almost like ive never picked up a cue or played this game before in my life!

i think i need to go see a coach or something that will whisper me sweet-nothings and tell me everything will be ok maybe its all a mental problem ahh i dont know, and now im talking to myself. im a mess!

what a frustrating, yet addictive game this is....

Luke, Luke, Luke...your timing is wrong is all it is, so your rhythm is screwed up.

First of all check your stance and ensure your right foot is directly underneath your grip hand, and also that right foot (usually the arch) is directly on the line of aim and then that the grip arm forearm is hanging straight down.

Is there at least 3" clearance between your trouser pocket and the back of your grip hand thumg? If not, move your hips to the left (and out too) and get more weight onto the left foot by bending that left leg a bit more.

Cock the wrist outwards from your body to ensure the butt of the cue is directly below the long bone in your grip arm forearm.

Lastly, try potting some long balls without feathering and then use just a maximum of 2 feathers with a nice loose grip and slow backswing to get that rhythm back

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

thank you Terry, im going to go to the club now and practice this...

this sounds like a silly question, the right foot - should that be turned out and the arch of my foot central to the cue? or should my foot be facing the same way im shooting? ive tried both and i find if i put my foot in a straight line with the cue i end up bending my left knee slightly more which kind of makes me look like bambi on ice however i have seen this done from other people and they pull it off, im not sure its right for me...im sure i normally stand with my right foot slightly off at an angle but if im honest its never been something ive paid attention to everything has always sort of "clicked" into place and happened automatically lol
      what a frustrating, yet addictive game this is....

Comment

Luke:

As they said in the 70's 'whatever turns you on'. The grip hand should be right directly above the laces (or the arch) of the right foot and for most people the right foot should be turned out maybe 30-34 degrees to the line of the shot as this is the most comfortable and takes the strain off the knee joint.

Remember that COMFORT is the key word here and you should try Nic Barrow's closed eye exercise with your right foot as it would only take a couple of seconds. Get down into the address position, close your eyes and then turn your right foot out until it's uncomfortable and then in (pigeon-toed) until it's uncomfortable and then back to the position with the best comfort. Repeat this 3 times while you are down with the eyes closed and then return to the most comfortable spot and open your eyes and take a look at what angle you have on the right foot.

That should be your ideal spot for you

Terry
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Working...
        X