change of stance and other advice plz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• change of stance and other advice plz

ok im not a natural snooker player and never really played the game ive always played pool as ive loved it since a child but ive recently took an intrest into snooker after being begged by my local snooker team to join, now im quite a tall guy and ive always stood with both knees bent but at snooker this seems to be inconsistant with me so i have moved to more of a traditional stance back leg str8 and front leg with a slight bend and it proves to help me alot im hitting the ball better and playing alot more consistant and at a higher level, as i think the my main problem was cueing 2 low 2 the ball and now my arm seems higher and im cueing smoother and i was just wondering if this is the way 2 go and have i missed any other tricks from the book that would help me lol?

ive been playing snooker for about a year 1 frame a week for my local snooker team no practice only the last few weeks ive started actually playing the game and im knocking in consistant breaks 20s 30s 40s and playing safe etc, i dont really know what standerd i play at but im looking to improve so i was wondering what practice routines would help as the only thing im doing is putting the black ball on the spot and potting it as many times i can without missing into the bottom pockets as im not a natural snooker player and not used to that type of shot being a banker.

also advice on more consistant break of shots and safteys would be much appreciated.

cheers
    tha what!

Well, after so little practise and not playing much, knocking in upto 40 breaks consistently sounds like your doing alright to me and defo doing summat right...

Keep practising and have a good read of this coaching section and you won't go far wrong.

Comment

Originally Posted by cally View Post
      Well, after so little practise and not playing much, knocking in upto 40 breaks consistently sounds like your doing alright to me and defo doing summat right...

Keep practising and have a good read of this coaching section and you won't go far wrong.
      ye well i changed my stance after looking at sum stuff from a guy called nick barrow so i signed upto his site and im gunna have a gd read through alot of his stuff and see what happens
      tha what!

Comment

also im hopeless with the rest might aswell use a friggin banjo lol any advice lol????
        tha what!

Comment

Best bit of advice i had for using a rest was to only use my thumb and index finger to hold the butt of the cue and drop the other fingers to the side of the butt, if that makes sense...lol.... i can defo get the cue through better that way. don't seem pull the cue so much on delivery.

It improved my rest play quite dramatically to be honest.

but different things work for different players i suppose, just try a few things out and see which 'grip' you can get the cue through best.

Line up a straight rest shot to the yellow pocket and have a little practise with different grips.

Like i said, my rest play improved instantly as soon as i changed my grip...

Comment

ian:

Nic Barrow's site should give you some great practice routines to improve your game and also the forum on there gives a lot of coaching tips (mostly mine).

Most players who have a tough time with the rest are either gripping the cue too tight and you should only use the thumb and either the first finger or the first 2 fingers and grip the cue about 1" up the butt.

The other big error is allowing the upper arm to move before the cueball is hit. You should only cue from the elbow and keep the upper arm still until after the cueball is struck. Also keep the grip forearm level to the bed of the table or nearly so.

There are instructions on Nic's site on proper rest technique

Terry
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
              ian:

Nic Barrow's site should give you some great practice routines to improve your game and also the forum on there gives a lot of coaching tips (mostly mine).

Most players who have a tough time with the rest are either gripping the cue too tight and you should only use the thumb and either the first finger or the first 2 fingers and grip the cue about 1" up the butt.

The other big error is allowing the upper arm to move before the cueball is hit. You should only cue from the elbow and keep the upper arm still until after the cueball is struck. Also keep the grip forearm level to the bed of the table or nearly so.

There are instructions on Nic's site on proper rest technique

Terry
              ah kl thanks i will try that tonight il let u know the results lol
              tha what!

Comment

wow my improvement with the rest is amazing i missed 1 ball all night with it and that was a hard shot im cueing so smooth like a pro :P
                tha what!

Comment

Working...
                X