X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soft screw screwing me hard

Hi guys,

I have a problem with soft screw shots which I am hoping someone can help
    me fix cuz this is so many times resulting in a good breaking coming to an end

When I play the soft screw shots with long follow through it seems that my cue tip stays too much in contact with the cue ball and i drag the white and after that i push it either off-line or miscue something like slipping from the tip ( it is not a tip problem and my tip is neither very hard nor shiney using MW supertips ) but not the normal miscue a spectator would notice.
    You only feel you've miscued it and the guys watching wont even notice it

Basically I feel as if the cue tip and cue ball stay way too much long in contact with each other and rather than hitting the shot i am dragging and pushing the white for too long

Any idea what I might be doing wrong and how I can rectify it?

Thanks,
    Abhishek

You are decelerating through the ball on these "soft screw" shots.

You must attempt to accelerate through the ball even when you are playing the softest shots in the book.

Good luck Abhi!

Cheers.

Comment

hi abhi... i agree with Checkside that it could be a decelerating of the follow-through...

since it's a soft screw, i suppose you are only screwing back a short distance... so by imparting a long follow-through for a soft screw back, it's easy to put too much spin and in trying to control that, it might throw your timing off and mess up the shot... maybe you can experiment with accelerating with a shorter follow-through and see if it yields better result...
      When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

I dont think I am deccelrating the cue. Not sure though
        I will try to record a video of me playing a soft screw shot soon then probably we'll get to know more abt the cue delivery.

A friend of mine suggested that in soft screw shots I should get my bridge hand a bit closed to the cueball making the distance less based on the softness of the shot
        Now I do agree that his method works but its more like a masse shot without side. And often not a comfortable one since your bridge hand is way too close to white.

Most places i read it says parallel cue and good follow through

Can anyone show me a video explaination or any coaching video which demonstrates playing this shot?

Comment

abhi:

Check you email as I answered this question for you. On these shots choke up on the cue a bit which will stop you decelerating (if you're doing it) and will also stop you from continuing to accelerate more after you hit the cueball

(And note my email change please)

Terry
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Thanks Terry,

Your suggestion is similar to when my friend also suggested I will try that update here
            I think the problem abt late acceleration you mentioned might be the actual cause

Email change note taken

Comment

Working...
            X