Just starting out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just starting out

I've had a read through a number of threads on here, and will continue to seek advice this way, but I thought I would post my own thread.

I've recently started playing at my local club, usually against a friend, just match play.

I've probably been about 10 times now, and my highest break is 20, unspectacular to say the least!

To be honest, I'm looking for a bit of direction at how I can progress and improve my game. I'm certainly not consistent by any stretch of the imagination, I can have one shot where I sink an excellent pot, and then another where I miss a simple shot, whether that be down to rushing or a lack of concentration.

I'm itching to go down the club on my own for a practice, but don't want to make a fool of myself really! I wouldn't know where to start in terms of practising either!

I'm perhaps a bit uncertain whether my technique and/or stance is incorrect, I usually feel comfortable when playing my shot, so I'm not sure whether I'm just thinking there's a problem when there isn't. I appreciate it's hard for you guys to ascertain this without seeing me play, but any general advice you can pass on, would be much appreciated.

Are there any coaches in the north west on here?

The only way to get better is to play as much as possible. As far as technique goes keep your head steady at all times and keep your cue in a straight line when hitting through the ball. Also keep your head steady after your shot.

A good guy to contact is Terry Davidson. Look him up and he can give you detailed analysis if you can post a video of yourself.

Comment

Have a read through this site for good coaching advice to get your technique down.

Comment

Originally Posted by checkSide View Post
        Have a read through this site for good coaching advice to get your technique down.
        Agree with CheckSide.. certain basic you can get it from snookergym or coaching site on tsf.. many useful threads out there can help you out.

Comment

Thanks for your posts guys.

I think the main problem/concern of mine at the moment is that I'm struggling to identify any progression - I don't feel like I'm building on my game or improving my game the more times I go, which perhaps makes me wonder whether there's something I'm doing specifically wrong.

Comment

hi jdgmedia, welcome to TSF!!

i think hitting a 20 break so soon after picking up this game is very good indeed. if you can do it even once, no reason why you can't do it over and again. imagine making a 20 odd break each time you come to the table... 2, 3 visits to make the frame yours and how many players can do that all the time?

now, you mentioned that you are concerned about looking foolish by having solo practice..... well, please don't!! this game is all about achieving a solid and consistent technique. matchplay with your mates is no doubt good fun, but solo practice is where you can really hone your technique, correct mistakes, increase your range of shots and build that consistency into your game... if you find your technique, the potting should come naturally because you would know what you are doing with that shot... so go ahead and put in the solo hours.

you can Google up any number of practice routines.... Checkside had posted the Frank Callan site earlier. it's a very good read and i have learnt much from there too.

besides this forum, i've also benefitted a lot from watching this Youtube channel and putting it into practice. the video quality's not the best but clear enough. The instructor, Neil, who's a certified snooker coach, comes across to me as a straightshooter. He articulates the techniques well and what he says makes sense:

http://www.youtube.com/user/neilmaxman

another way to improve is to record and watch how the pros play over and over again... and listen to the commentaries, they're usually given by very experienced ex-pro players and they give invaluable tips and advice from time to time.

for personal coaching and snooker coaching materials, you can look up Nic's site. most comprehensive.

http://www.thesnookergym.com/

if you get stuck on any particular type of shots and can't figure it out, well, try searching this forum and if that doesn't help, post it... we can help each other out... there're numerous forum members who generously and genuinely offer their expert opinions and professional advice, take for e.g. Terry, he's been a tremendous help to many of us here.

last but not least, always remember to have fun playing snooker... all the best!!
            When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

I have been bless to have my own table and I only become obsessive about snooker a few months back.

I done what the guys have adviced so far, practice practice and practice. I find it useful to record my own practice and watch it over once I finish practice. I can easily spot why some shot I can pot and position the next shot perfect and why sometime I will miss the easiest pot.

You will also need to play different type of players, if you keep playing with the same friend you will find it hard to progress.

Comment

Working...
              X