Tip for Newbies: Get BEHIND the cue ball, not ABOVE it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip for Newbies: Get BEHIND the cue ball, not ABOVE it

I played earlier today with m8's and and played really well scoring about 300 points over 5 frames of 3-man follow. I was "high man" for some time and had 2 30+ breaks and a 46 break.

Before m8's arrived, I was on the practice table and intentionally worked on one thing and one thing only: getting my head down as low as I could for all shots. The results were clear and I was potting long balls and making shots I might normally miss.

To understand why this is important, you need to realize that snooker is a game of precision, accuracy, and delivering your playing equipment in a precise and targeted way. Seeing the angles and where your cue ball is headed precisely is very important in this game.

Knowing this, it's tremendously important to get down low on shots. It will help you greatly in making more balls and improving your potting ability.

Here are some tips you can take away:

1. Be aware of your bridge hand and how it might force your body higher (for example when your bridge hand is a few inches from the cushion for those tight shots). Place your bridge hand on the cushion if you have to but most of all make sure your head is down low.

2. When bridging over a ball, you will need to stand higher than normal but even then, cup your bridge hand by bending at the knuckles. This will help you flatten out your cue angle and lower your body over the shot.

3. Don't get lazy with the rest! It's even more important that you get low and behind the cue ball and not above it!

4. Around the black/pink, or what's called "in the balls", be especially careful of keeping your head low and behind the cue ball and not above the cue ball. Do that, and you can start making big breaks.

5. Use a short extension on your cue if it will help you get lower on a shot. Sometimes it's too easy to just reach for a shot, but you might sacrifice accuracy because your head isn't behind the cue ball.

NOTE: I'm not a coaching expert, just a snooker loopy nut and I love to play and share what I know. If you have specific coaching questions, I will do what I can, but may direct you to a trained professional like Nic or Terry
    Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
    My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com
Working...
X