cue arm position and cue action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

inoff:

If a player has a natural elbow drop in his cue action it should be around 2" when following through completely as on a medium-paced shot or above. As long as your cue stays on the same plane throughout the stroke and you're following through at least 4" I don't think there's any problem although I will say 4" of follow-through with an elbow drop is a bit short. Perhaps you mean after the cueball?

Follow-through should be measured from the edge of the cueball closest to you (address prosition) and 6" would be about right for a person with normal arm length and not too big a chest when that person uses an elbow drop. 4" is the norm for follow-through WITHOUT an elbow drop

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Matt-10Ant:

Having the elbow directly over the cue is a good thing to have but not vitally important as a lot of very good players have the elbow either inside (Higgins, Hendry) or outside like Mark Williams.

However, it does make it harder to cue absolutely straight and it makes for a much better technique when the elbow is aligned over the cue and behind the head as there are less moving parts.

Raising the right shoulder as much as comfortably possible and maybe getting the grip more towards the fingertips will bring the elbow into the back more BUT DO NOT do this to the point where you introduce discomfort since comfort in the set-up is THE most important factor

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Thanks Terry i will take your advice and try when i practise later tonight if nothing happens i will try and record myself playing and hopefully something will be corrected.

Thanks Matt

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
          inoff:

As long as your cue stays on the same plane throughout the stroke and you're following through at least 4" I don't think there's any problem although I will say 4" of follow-through with an elbow drop is a bit short. Perhaps you mean after the cueball?

Terry
          Yeah Terry, I meant after the cueball. My bad. Thanks for your feedback.

Comment

Working...
          X