Cueing problem, cueing from right to left on certain shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cueing problem, cueing from right to left on certain shots

Hi guys, after my recent practise session I have realized that I have the problem of cueing 'offline" on certain shots, (for those where I have to hit the right side of the cue ball). I've read through other posts and made several alterations with little help. Then, I've tried to walk into the shot while feathering (a bit like Shaun Murphy), a bit like sliding into the shot while feathering and corrected the problem. However, I couldn't do this when the ball is tight to the cushion and I started to analyze what makes this method work. I've then found out that when I was cueing "offline" (from right to left), my cueing hand would be really close to be chest, almost next to it. In contrast, when I am feathering while I am walking into the shot, my hand would be a distance away from my chest. I would really like to improve and would really appreciate if experts in this forum would help me.

Originally Posted by reactant View Post
    Hi guys, after my recent practise session I have realized that I have the problem of cueing 'offline" on certain shots, (for those where I have to hit the right side of the cue ball). I've read through other posts and made several alterations with little help. Then, I've tried to walk into the shot while feathering (a bit like Shaun Murphy), a bit like sliding into the shot while feathering and corrected the problem. However, I couldn't do this when the ball is tight to the cushion and I started to analyze what makes this method work. I've then found out that when I was cueing "offline" (from right to left), my cueing hand would be really close to be chest, almost next to it. In contrast, when I am feathering while I am walking into the shot, my hand would be a distance away from my chest. I would really like to improve and would really appreciate if experts in this forum would help me.
    Are you left or right handed?

When you say you're cueing right to left, is that from your perspective?

If you imagine a line from the center of the white to the center of the object ball (the line of aim) do you setup for shots with right hand side by placing the cue parallel to this line, or do you use the method where you intentionally cue accross the white (offline)? I am guessing you use the parallel method, and I believe it's the 'best' (TM) method to use.

So, in this case your problem is finding the parallel line? And in your case if you're going right to left, your hand must be further to the right - away from your body - than on a normal shot?

Or did you mean the opposite, cueing left to right, with your hand closer to your chest? .. as you seem to imply.
    "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
    - Linus Pauling

Comment

yes, my cue is online in the adress position and somehow the fact that my hand is too close to my chest made my cue run to the left and hence the cue went offline on the delivery. yes, i use the parallel mehtod and the cue went to the left on my perspective.

Comment

yes, my cue is online in the adress position and somehow the fact that my hand is too close to my chest made my cue run to the left and hence the cue went offline on the delivery. yes, i use the parallel mehtod and the cue went to the left on my perspective.
        Ahh.. so your grip hand is going left (making the tip go right) and you're hitting the right hand side of the white?
        "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
        - Linus Pauling

Comment

The cue tip is going left and i am hitting the left hand side of the cue ball.

Comment

The problem is particularly evident when i am playing shots where i must stretch or for shots where i couldn't put my left foot in front .

Comment

If you can, make a video of yourself playing the shots that cause you trouble. Then have a look at it yourself and see if you can figure out where things are going wrong. Then play the shot without the white and with your eyes closed and really feel how your body is moving.

If you like, post the video up here and ask for comments.
              - Linus Pauling

Comment

Just went to pratice this week and found out that the cueing to the left is a result of the sideway movements of my elbow as i drive through the shot. Tried locking my elbow, but didn't work out well as my elbow is still drifting to the right on certain shots when i am aiming to the right side of the object ball. However, when i tried to really lift my head up as oppose to tilting my head down (both with the cue touching the center of my chin), all of the sideways movement stopped. i was really wondering why was this the case and what else i could as it is quite tiring to the neck with such head position?

Comment

Just went to pratice this week and found out that the cueing to the left is a result of the sideway movements of my elbow as i drive through the shot. Tried locking my elbow, but didn't work out well as my elbow is still drifting to the right on certain shots when i am aiming to the right side of the object ball. However, when i tried to really lift my head up as oppose to tilting my head down (both with the cue touching the center of my chin), all of the sideways movement stopped. i was really wondering why was this the case and what else i could as it is quite tiring to the neck with such head position?
                  I had the same trouble, and I realised it was because I wasn't getting down low enough on the cue, so my upper body was tilting forward and I was facing down at the table slightly. Meaning my neck had to strain to get my face up to look out over the table. It's only a slight tilt, but it makes a big difference to comfort over a long period of time.

Getting lower down, by bending my forward leg/knee a small amount more, and also making sure the cue contact point on my chest is _above_ my nipple really helps. What this also does is lift the cue right up and in line with your head, it brings the cue arm shoulder right up behind the head where it is braced in place, and does not move. It helps to keep the elbow in line for the whole shot. In my case the elbow is slightly behind my back (think Hendry) but it's not very far, and the important thing is that my cue comes through straight.
                  - Linus Pauling

Comment

Hi Reactant.
                    Not that long ago I found that I was doing what you describe, moving the butt hand to the left (I am right handed) as I deliver the cue through.
                    Terry Davidson (world-class coach on this forum) mentioned that if I kink my right hand out a bit this can correct the left-ward drift on the delivery stroke.
                    To explain the "kink", this is were you move the back of the hand away from the body, so you have a few wrinkles at the back of the wrist. Terry described it further as to image picking up a hammer, that is the kink you are looking for.
                    Anyway, since then I have been getting used to this, unfortunately I have found myself sometimes going back to the old position - where the back of the hand is straight with the back of the fore-arm - and that is when I drift over to the left with my right hand. When I do remember, I have noticed an improvement and less drifting.
                    Hope this helps, all the best
                    DeanH
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                    X