X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice routine

Do any other members stick to a practice routine
    Mine is as follows.
    1/ Playing up and down the spots and getting perfect return to tip of cue.
    2/ Long half ball pots (Approx) from brown spot moving red away from top left and right hand pockets starting at 6 inches from pocket then moving out to over 20 inches (6 reds left 6 reds right)
    3/ Long pots from GOD. BLESS. YOU. into to right and left top pockets red starting close to cue ball and moving it a longer distance after each confirmed pot.
    4/ Potting from the brown spot into right and left hand center pockets then repeating this from the black end of the table.
    5/ Screw back from blue spot so cue ball returns into center pocket,then control screw back distance.
    6/Stun shots blue into center pocket. cue ball must replace blue on its spot and not move.
    7/Scatter some reds round the blue then try to remain on the blue and center pocket.
    8/Scatter some reds round black and pink and try to remain on black or pink. top and center pockets.
    9/ Practice with the REST !
    10/ Using only the cue ball and trying to put it in a nominated pocket using the cushions and angles of the table good for getting to know the table and snooker escapes.
    I have not timed this but my practice time but it is approx two and a half - 3 hours, during time spent I will return to playing over the spots just to check my cueing.

Very interesting. Carry on. I normally do not have enough routines like yours but I try to focus on what goes wrong in the game for me. Like I am good on the black but the pink sometimes plays tricks on me so I would rather place the pink on spot and line up cross reds with the pink only... Different players different weaknesses different needs i'd rather say..!!!

Cheers.
    "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

Originally Posted by Sidd View Post
      Very interesting. Carry on. I normally do not have enough routines like yours but I try to focus on what goes wrong in the game for me. Like I am good on the black but the pink sometimes plays tricks on me so I would rather place the pink on spot and line up cross reds with the pink only... Different players different weaknesses different needs i'd rather say..!!!

Cheers.
      My main weakness is what I would call my middle game ! I start off and go into a good points lead my potting is fair and I am able to play for position reasonable well, then everything starts going down the tubes, I dont know if this is a mental thing (I can see the winning post) The amount of times other club members have said "You should have won that you are a far better player") people say just play the game and dont think about winning and keep cool, wish there was a practice routine for the mental approach. any other members suffer from this (I should have won) syndrome.

Comment

Thinks sometimes people over do the practice routines, if things do not go well there game drops also snooker is very much a confidence thing, i use to keep it simple, line ups, colours off there spots, sometimes just have all the balls scatered about the table just keep potting as repitition is a major factor.

Comment

I think practice needs to be made up of two elements – what you need to improve and the fundamentals of stance etc.

I am what is probably known as an improver – ie not very good but hoping not to get any worse!!

I had a lesson with Gavin York at the weekend (Coach Gavin on here) and he pointed out several errors in my set up.

So I now know that my specific problem (potting balls) is not just down to my misreading the potting angle but also due to imperfect cueing.

My practice now contains a significant amount of ensuring that I’m potting straight (up and down the spots, potting straight balls etc). I am more confident at potting balls since I can now more or less eliminate bad set up as the reason for my missing a shot.

There is no way I would attempt some of the practice routines described on here – they’re far too advanced for me at this stage. As I advance in the game I will adapt my practice routines to suit but I think that straight potting practice will always be in there.

I am reading a book by Clive Everton at the mo.

He says that Joe Davis used to spend hours going up and down the spots – if it’s good enough for him it’s good enough for me!!!

Comment

I always play over the spots at regular intervals throughout my practice routine, another good tip is place a red on the blue spot and the cueball on the brown spot play the cueball on to the red and see if you can get a perfect head on cannon with the red returning from the top cushion any side or bad cueing and the red will go off to left or right.

Comment

Originally Posted by denja View Post
              I always play over the spots at regular intervals throughout my practice routine, another good tip is place a red on the blue spot and the cueball on the brown spot play the cueball on to the red and see if you can get a perfect head on cannon with the red returning from the top cushion any side or bad cueing and the red will go off to left or right.
              Great idea!

Comment

Have a Look at fergal O'briens Practice Routines some good ones on His Website

Here is his Website Below.......

http://fergalobrien.ie/practice.html

Comment

Originally Posted by gazza147 View Post
                  Have a Look at fergal O'briens Practice Routines some good ones on His Website

Here is his Website Below.......

http://fergalobrien.ie/practice.html
                  Thanks for that link gazza147 there are some good routines for me to practice next time im in my local club
                  77 in a match, 97 in a line up

Comment

No Probs Rob glad to help.

Comment

Working...
                    X