Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how long should a back pause be?

question in the title

reason i ask is if i pause long i seem to thump the white rather than stroke it, but if i hardly pause, i rush the cueing....

so approx how long should the pause be?

Well this is something that should come naturally by practicing and altering the time however any back pause between 1-3 seconds if ok. Now the real question here is how to train the brain in getting the backswing pause consistently on all shots. There is one easy tip that I have followed myself and have seen it works easily. During the backswing just tap your bridge finger pad twice before starting the delivery. Practice this and you will notice it will become automatic for you and you will no longer have to think about it. Just back swing pause two taps and then deliver.

Hope it helps.
    "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

There is no answer to this really as some players like Murphy , Maguire will have a long back pause and Allen , Ebdon will have hardly any . Its what you feel comfortable with and trying to incorporate one will take a lot of getting used to . It looks like Hendry has incorporated a longer pause recently and at times looks as if he,s struggling to let the cue go . Mcmanus was the same they just dont look natural like Murphy .

That is a good tip to tap your finger twice .

Comment

Question does not have an answer every player is different its about what suits you look at darren morgan he barely had a pause its about what comes naturally
        Goddess Of All Things Cue Sports And Winner Of The 2012 German Masters and World Open Fantasy Games and the overall 2011-12 Fantasy Game

Comment

I had lessons with Steve Prest also murphys coach, and i didnt have a pause in my cueing, he introduced this and my game just got better with having more fluent action and better timing, My pause isnt as long but he said pull your cue back, and say a color in your head (i used yellow) and push your cue through.... maybe try with similar thing

Comment

I cant wait till i next play, i want to try the 2 finger tap trick

Comment

Originally Posted by Belloz22 View Post
              question in the title

reason i ask is if i pause long i seem to thump the white rather than stroke it, but if i hardly pause, i rush the cueing....

so approx how long should the pause be?
              I have had the same tendencies when I pause. I also wanted to know how long to pause. I too will try the tapping of the finger.

Comment

I've been using a pause in my game for a month now and have found it really frustrating. When i've been having solo practice it's worked and i've been potting no problem and i've really enjoyed my game, but when it comes to playing mates and playing in the leauge my form has been awful. I start to miss easy balls by miles then start thinking of my pause when i'm down on the shot and think to how i played when i was potting on my own. Lately it's been a nightmare playing because i've started to loose my temper which i havent done for a good while. In this time i hadn't made a break over 30, but yesterday when playing, the first 3 frames were poor but then out of nowhere i had a 38 and noticed i didnt really have a pause, maybe 1 - 2 seconds max, it was pull back eyes on the object ball then fire, it felt just like solo practice which makes me believe this is how i played in solo but just didnt notice it because balls were going in and didnt need to focus on my pause.

Played tonight on my own for a couple of hours and just done the same, pull back eyes on object ball then fire. Ended up making a 60 on the line up. Also found out on shots i missed like blacks off the spot my head was always up off the cue, so adjusted myself to hold down until ball had dropped in the pocket. After this i was more consistent. Fingers crossed i'm now over my bad patch and can just play my natural game

Comment

It's really a question of how long you want your snooker games to last.

The method I recommend is as follows :

let ST = your shot time in seconds with no backpause
                  let S = your best estimate of the amount of shots you are likely to play in the game
                  let T = the total time in seconds you want the match to last
                  let PT = the correct backpause time

now you simply find the answer with the formula PT=T-(ST*S)/S

Comment

Originally Posted by merlin1234 View Post
                    It's really a question of how long you want your snooker games to last.

The method I recommend is as follows :

let ST = your shot time in seconds with no backpause
                    let S = your best estimate of the amount of shots you are likely to play in the game
                    let T = the total time in seconds you want the match to last
                    let PT = the correct backpause time

now you simply find the answer with the formula PT=T-(ST*S)/S
                    lol sarcasm

Comment

My thoughts on the rear pause are as follows.

First of all, I don't have a discernible rear pause so mine is very, very short and I've always felt I would have been a better player had I been able to develop one as I believe it helps the player to drive the cue through the cueball better.

Secondly, the length of pause is a matter of individual choice and involves rhythm, timing and also eye rhythm comes into it.

I believe the rear pause should be relatively short and absolutely no more than one second MAXIMUM. The reason for this is it is more important the player remains still on the shot and the longer you make the rear pause the more likely the player will develop a little micro-movement in the head and shoulder as he starts to drive the cue forward. The rear pauseshould be just long enough for the player to get his complete focus on the object ball when he starts to deliver the cue, no more!

Terry
                      Terry Davidson
                      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

just watch ronnie when he is flowing, pause is minimal , slow and smooth back, beautifull, thats the way to do it

Comment

stewart:

I've also noticed on the rare occasions that Hendry gets flowing his rear pause and also his number of feathers get less

Terry
                          Terry Davidson
                          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

yes terry, when you watch hendry at his best in the old days, no big long pause, just seems to throw your rhythm which i have none off, i to am strugling between playing 3 different ways , and cant sort it out in my head, which is no use, stopped playing so many games, doing more solo practice, that will sort it

Comment

I've studied Joe Davis' book and read quite a few others. I certainly agree with the pause varying from person to person, and it being linked to one's rythym.

One thing NOT to do is to become too obsessed with it! If you do it be more a nightmare than a boon.

I have never had problems with the pause. It seemed to have become a part of me when I was "building up" my technique without any concious thought.

It was through people asking about it that I conciously examined what I did. Firstly, it's somewhat misleading and detrimentalto describe it as a "Pause". It would be better described as a slowing down of the final backswing that signifies the deliberate intent of just how you are going to stroke the cueball. That "slowing down" will naturally cultivate a very slight pause at the end of the backswing. This pause may be so slight as to be almost indiscernable in some players. Any attempt to try to control the lenght of that pause will lead to disaster.

Comment

Working...
                              X