No announcement yet.

how long should a back pause be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel if I hold a long back pause i put more stress into my arm muscles. if I go to short of a pause I dont cue straight . I guess its about finding the right amount of back pause?

Comment

Try saying a two syllable word in your head
      Matt

Comment

When I am playing very well for my standards, the back pause comes natural and without thinking about it... but is sooo rare...
        Highest Match Break: 58 - Six Reds
        Cue: Brazilian Bented cue 9.5mm - Tip hard as hell

Comment

If you break down a cue action before final delivery you stop the cue at the cue ball and aim , pull the cue back as much as you need because your cue has to change direction everyone has a pause.
          In my experience the quicker the pause the player had a tendency to have more body movement. The slower the pause the technique became wooden. What you are looking for is a deliberate pause (the length of time is what separates one players action from the next) . The pause on the backstroke should be used as feel for the pace your putting into the shot.
          I'm really sorry but the finger tapping twice is a nonsense you have enough things to be paying attention to without that.

Comment

Because your cue has to change direction everyone has a pause it's physics.
            If you break down the cue action on final delivery you stop the cue at the cue ball and aim pull the cue back pause and follow through , the pause on the back stroke allows you to feel the pace required for the shot.
            In my experience people with a very quick pause tend to snatch the ball and have alot of body movement. People who have a long pause can appear wooden. Everyone's pause will vary this being there own unique cue action.
            In as much as you make up your mind what shot your playing before you walk into it the execution of the shots requirements come at the different parts of the action. You can't aim until you STOP the cue at the cueball. The pause on the backstroke has to be deliberate and at that part all you should be thinking about is the pace of the shot and the cue goin straight.
            I don't think my brain could cope if I was counting finger tapping.

Comment

Because your cue has to change direction everyone has a pause it's physics.
              If you break down the cue action on final delivery you stop the cue at the cue ball and aim pull the cue back pause and follow through , the pause on the back stroke allows you to feel the pace required for the shot.
              In my experience people with a very quick pause tend to snatch the ball and have alot of body movement. People who have a long pause can appear wooden. Everyone's pause will vary this being there own unique cue action.
              In as much as you make up your mind what shot your playing before you walk into it the execution of the shots requirements come at the different parts of the action. You can't aim until you STOP the cue at the cueball. The pause on the backstroke has to be deliberate and at that part all you should be thinking about is the pace of the shot and the cue goin straight.
              I think there is to much goin on to try counting finger tapping too

Comment

As already said everybody is Different unless you use the same Snooker coach! What i have found is when the top players are potting well or have won the frame there backswing and feathering of the white gets faster even murphys.

Its something you would have to work on if doing finger tap then keep trying it in Practice for awhile then bring it along to the Match, What you will find doing that you wont rush so much when frames over or on big break or the Odd careless shot which we all do now and then even the top Players.

Gaz.

Comment

Good luck With that

Comment

Originally Posted by BennyGy View Post
                    I've been using a pause in my game for a month now and have found it really frustrating. When i've been having solo practice it's worked and i've been potting no problem and i've really enjoyed my game, but when it comes to playing mates and playing in the leauge my form has been awful. I start to miss easy balls by miles then start thinking of my pause when i'm down on the shot and think to how i played when i was potting on my own. Lately it's been a nightmare playing because i've started to loose my temper which i havent done for a good while. In this time i hadn't made a break over 30, but yesterday when playing, the first 3 frames were poor but then out of nowhere i had a 38 and noticed i didnt really have a pause, maybe 1 - 2 seconds max, it was pull back eyes on the object ball then fire, it felt just like solo practice which makes me believe this is how i played in solo but just didnt notice it because balls were going in and didnt need to focus on my pause.

Played tonight on my own for a couple of hours and just done the same, pull back eyes on object ball then fire. Ended up making a 60 on the line up. Also found out on shots i missed like blacks off the spot my head was always up off the cue, so adjusted myself to hold down until ball had dropped in the pocket. After this i was more consistent. Fingers crossed i'm now over my bad patch and can just play my natural game
                    BennyGy

You've got it spot on in practise m8, once the eyes have focussed on the object ball let the cue go. The longer the pause the more the eyes will tend to wander off target. When the eyes are on target the cue and the cue ball will follow, simple hand and eye co-ordination that comes naturally to some but has to be learnt by others.
                    I say simple, but it's in fact much harder than it seems as you have to shut out all the other variables present in the shot such as the pocket, position, the cue ball, any cannons or kisses required, deflection of the cue ball when using side. All this has to be worked out and then put aside to then only focus on the object ball when delivering the cue.

This can get away from you when playing in a match as anxiety creeps into your mind and you look at the other variables rather than just the object ball. Confidence is key to ridding yourself of anxiety, think positively about what you'll gain when you pot the ball rather than negatively about what you'll leave if you miss it.

Comment

What you may find when your paying attention to your technique this is what takes up your concentration and more often than that your game gets worse before it gets better because this Takes your focus. Playing on your own is ideal for developing a technique. If you have put in enough work you then start to do it naturally without thinking. If you have not and you start playin games with people it all goes out the window and you revert to what you do naturally.

Comment

Working...
                      X