How to cue of the cushion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to cue of the cushion

When the white ball is on the cushion and I am going for a black lets say, 60% of the time i tend to hit the white weirdly and the black misses by a mile, so whats the best way to hit a white ball of the cushion. Do you put your hand on the table or rest the cue on the cushion? thanks.

Grip further down the butt so your effectively using a shorter cue is my only advice...
    Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

And don't try anything fancy with the white, just a slow roll in is the best way

Comment

As advised grip lower down the butt and raise the butt just slightly and only feather the width of the cloth (50mm) on the cushion rail, DON'T try to over hit the cue ball. The bridge I use may vary due to the angle I'm cueing. If I'm cueing straight across the table I place my index finger and push that finger into the groove of the side rail and my other fingers on top of the rail or if I'm cueing at an angle I use the brdge where you tuck your thumb under the index finger as a guide for the cue and loop the index finger over the cue to stabilise it. Remember nothing fancy.

Comment

Also, keep your head as still as possible

Comment

You can't do this by having a loose grip or with a 360 trainer cue!

I place the fingers of my bridge hand on the cushion's edge with the heel of my hand fixed in mid air as rigidly as my fingers will allow and I exert a downward force with the cue into my bridge. On striking the tendency is for the tip to be deflected because of the angle of the top of the white so this has to be counteracted and even then you have to be very careful to limit the amount of power or the chances to get your intended contact will go down the pan.

By keeping the backswing to a minimum you will reduce the chances of off-centre striking which becomes even more critical in this case.

Comment

Double post

Comment

Most important thing is Dont Try and Hit the Ball Hard! If on a Cushion its Personal Preference how you run Cue next to your Finger or thru hand but Definately Hold Cue Further Up Butt as already said as this Helps alot.

Gaz.

Comment

Yeah I've always wondered how John Parrott used to do it. He just seems to get down and hit it no bother at all.

I'm absolutely terrible off the rail and my position is rubbish so I end up there a lot.

Comment

Originally Posted by merlin1234 View Post
                    Yeah I've always wondered how John Parrott used to do it. He just seems to get down and hit it no bother at all.

I'm absolutely terrible off the rail and my position is rubbish so I end up there a lot.
                    I find it amazing the number of times the cue ball manages to end up on or near a cushion when you least wanted it and how tough it is at times to find the cushion when playing safe... can only shrug it off when it happens... I could have dislocated my shoulders from all that shrugging...
                    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

It's typically what happens when I get around the black spot. I'll knock in 16 or 17 and then overrun by a few inches, tight on the cush, end of break.

Comment

Shorten the length of your grip and also hold the butt of the cue really tight when playin off the cushion.

Comment

Shorten the length of your grip and hold the cue really tight at the back.

Comment

As a few have said previously grip further down the cue and i was always told by my coach to cue down as little as possible, ie keep your cue as close to level as you can

Comment

is there any recommended technique to drawing back the cue, i.e. I find I can only draw back a cm or so or I usually end up scuffing the shot so bad!!

Comment

Working...
                              X