Simple Method to Learn Positional Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Method to Learn Positional Play

After answering a few questions on blue to pink play I was thinking perhaps it's time to expand on a fairly simple method of learning how the cueball will take off after contact with an object ball...so here goes.

I teach the Nic Barrow school to both students and when certifying Master Coaches and Nic uses a theory called 'the perfect stun angle'. To explain...if you had cueball and object ball at any angle except straight in and on a frictionless surface, if you hit the cueball as a perfect stun then the cueball will ALWAYS take off from the object ball at 90degrees (this is true and just physics, but you can test it out if you like).

So starting there, if you hit the cueball ABOVE centre then you will REDUCE the angle the cueball will take off and conversely if you hit the cueball BELOW centre you will INCREASE the angle the cueball takes off at.

We are left with looking at a shot, let's say a black off its spot where the cueball is level with the black. If you stun the cueball then the cueball will move at 90degrees to the line of the pot towards the side cushion to get on a red just below the pack let's say. If you wanted to get to the other side of the pack (the side you're hitting from) then you would use some type of screw and depending on the angle you need the cueball to come back at you can (with practice) learn how deep to hit the cueball. So just below centre on the cueball should take the cueball directly straight up the table towards the pink, or hitting just above centre (perhaps a half a tip width) will have the cueball moving up the table 1 or 2 inches on the far side of the pink. (This is where a lot of players go wrong when breaking the pack off the black. They will hit the cueball too deep with too much screw and actually to hit the centre of the pack you only need to hit just below centre probably 1/2 to 3/4 of a tip width).

Similarly, using the blue ball and attempting to bring the cueball down to either cannon a red to get on another red or even to get the cueball to softly move down a line you want you should remember a perfect stun shot will take the cueball down to where it will just miss the pink (on your side), so depending on what side of the pack you want you can narrow the angle the cueball takes off on by using a slightly above centre hit to cannon the pink or slightly below centre for the other side of the pack (or pink) on your side of the table.

The reason you need to practice these shots is power used will make a difference in the amount of bounce you get with the cueball, so for instance if you have a 3/4 blue and want the cueball to come down on your side of the pack or pink then you need to hit what's called a 'soft screw' which will be quite deep on the cueball but with very low power.

The perfect stun angle theory can be used for any pot which isn't straight in as a straight in pot has only two ways for the cueball to go, no matter what height you hit the cueball. With a little practice this theory becomes automatic and requires almost no thought at all. So when you're standing behind the shot you can decide what angle you want the cueball to take off on in order to get your desired position and adjust the height of your bridge to correspond to that height.

A great way to practice and learn this is to do the line-up as you end up with a lot of black pots at different angles and another way to learn it well is to run the colours but don't play for exactly dead-in pots on anything but the black (or for even better practice try getting on the black so you can get back to the yellow and see how many times you can run the colours in sequence. Three times in a row is excellent.

Any questions?

Terry
    Last edited by Terry Davidson; 7 November 2012, 06:44 PM.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

I've never read so much gobbledygook in all my life quite honestly my friend. If u don't believe me, have a read at it yourself. Scary!!

Comment

scottishplayer:

I'm not sure why you think it's 'gobbledygook' or in other words confusing and incorrect. It is a method whereby a player can easily learn how to position the cueball with accuracy.

Please explain why you think it's gobbledygook. I would be interested to know as I teach this method as does Nic Barrow.

However, since you feel that way why don't you try and explain how an inexperienced player can learn what path the cueball will leave an object ball as I'm sure there's room here for many positional play theories. That's if you have one you're willing to share with others.

(I did read it before I posted and it makes sense to me).

Terry
      Terry Davidson

Comment

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else finds it impossible to make any sense of this. Especially paragraph 5. For me, it seems like a lot of confusion about something that is so simple. Honestly my friend, it's all this ball, that ball, cue ball, frictionless surface, soft screw, 90 degrees, object ball, physics etc. very strange indeed.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
          slightly above centre hit to...
          This. The firm stun run through from short and medium distance as an alternative to slow rolling, straight in shots or slight angle,doesn't matter. My weakest position on the cueball by far, hopefully not for too long. Cannons need not be involved this time. Would you agree that this is an advanced shot? I've noticed that pro players use this type of shot a lot, some even avoid slow rolling like the plague. What's your take on this? Slow rolling vs stun run through?

Comment

Originally Posted by scottishplayer View Post
            ..... it seems like a lot of confusion about something that is so simple.......
            Maybe it is "simple" to you, but can you convey it any better than Terry actually how to do it ????
            Makes sense to me

Comment

As some one who has little to no knowledge of where the cue ball's going next after the shot i have to say this has been very useful with the 90 degree angle thing it makes it seem relativity simple are there any online diagrams to show this so i can see it in picture. thanks Terry

Comment

Thanks Terry - great advice - well explained!

: )

I need to practice some more +++
                My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

This is a simplified explanation for scottishplayer in just 10 words which I hope he can follow. They are:

'hit high, angle smaller, hit low, angle bigger. Practice lots.

(I think this explanation is way too simple as it doesn't tell the student the difference in hitting at H6 or H8 or conversely H4 or H2 nor explain how to determine at what height the cueball should be hit to get the desired angle)

Terry

Terry
                  Terry Davidson

Comment

jrc:

Thanks for the input. If positional play was so GD simple wouldn't we all be pros? I find even at my level getting precise position like Ronnie or Higgins or some of the other good pros to be damned difficult. Perhaps the Scots are all natural experts at precise positional play and find it difficult to consciously think about it as it will mess them up?

Not being one of those naturally gifted positional players I find this method to be really helpful so if I confused anyone, even scottishplayer, then I apologize.

Terry
                    Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by machine230677 View Post
                      As some one who has little to no knowledge of where the cue ball's going next after the shot i have to say this has been very useful with the 90 degree angle thing it makes it seem relativity simple are there any online diagrams to show this so i can see it in picture. thanks Terry
                      IIRC these videos include diagrams .. which he draws on the pool table itself
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J0I6IgLlo8&feature=plcp
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oii0UhnYjCc&feature=plcp
                      "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                      - Linus Pauling

Comment

Make perfect sense to me but I did watch Nick on youtube explain this whilst doing it.

I did this a couple of days ago as well as practising strength of screw shoot with the blue in the middle S1 to S5 where S5 you screw back to just about falling in the pocket.

I then did the line up and surprised myself with how many I managed without missing. I have definitely hitting the balls way to hard for way too long!!!!

Got a game Friday and hope to put this into action and beat last week's break of 38

Any more pointers Terry gratefully received

Comment

ace man:

The reason pros will use that type of shot is first of all they are playing on very fast cloths in comparison with the rest of us and it might be difficult to hit the blue at exact dead weight since the cueball may run too far and now they're faced with either going 4 or 5 cushions around the table for the black or using a ton of check side with the pink ball.

There is also another very important reason. Pros would much rather hit the cueball firmly as that guarantees they will drive the grip hand through to the chest whereas using a very soft dead weight roll shot players of all levels might not complete the drive through the cueball and 'stab' the shot (decelerate through the cueball and miss the pot). How many times have you seen a player miss a very simple shot when they just roll the cueball, trying to hold for position? I see it a lot and do it too many times myself.

The 3/4 to 1/2 ball shot on the blue and using check side off the top cushion is not really an advanced shot in my opinion but it does take some practice to master. From the yellow side of the table you would hit the cueball at H7/R2 (means 2 tip widths above centre and 2 tip widths to right of centre) and then all you have to practice is to learn how much power to put into the shot, remembering to consider the speed of the cloth you're playing on (hopefully the cushions will be OK).

Terry
                          Terry Davidson

Comment

Hi Terry could you expand on this please?

From the yellow side of the table you would hit the cueball at H7/R2 (means 2 tip widths above centre and 2 tip widths to right of centre)

Original Source: http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...#ixzz2Ba9EprwC
                            - TSF - TheSnookerForum.com

Comment

I also forgot to mention that Nic Barrow has some videos posted on youtube in which he shows and explains all this and it's much easier to follow with a video demonstration.

I'm probably too lazy to post up some good videos plus I don't have any help here as I'm by myself all the time out here in the boonies

Terry
                              Terry Davidson

Comment

Working...
                              X