Any top tips on tips please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any top tips on tips please

Hi folks, we have all seen the pros on TV, working away at their tips with their little files/sandpaper.

I hope that this won't seem like a stupid question but here goes anyway. Is there an ideal shape for a tip? After you have put a new tip on your cue, do you leave it as it is or do you work it to a preferred shape?

I think that I may need to do something with mine because today, when I had a bit of a practice before my mate turned up, I had the usual go at potting the blue in a middle pocket whilst trying to screw the white back into the opposite pocket and, on three successive attempts I jumped straight over the blue without touching it!! I have mentioned this before in another thread and, I am cuing at 6 o/c and am keeping the cue parallel to the table etc etc.

I am now wondering if it might be the tip, which at the moment is a dome shape. Any thoughts please.

It's possible your tip isn't holding chalk very well. Scuffing it up a little with 180 grit or higher sandpaper may help. Search for Mike Wooldridge's retipping guide on YouTube. Toward the end he shows the proper way to shape a tip.
    Oh, and that's a bad miss.

Comment

usually when the cue ball jumps this is nothing to do with the tip but the technique of the player and how they play the shot, it could be a combination of several factors: having the butt too high (the cue should be as level as possible), the player having a see-saw cueing action (where the cue "rocks" as it is delivered), the player trying too hard for the screw (this could be what you are doing?) where you apply too much "power" from your body/shoulder/arm into the cue and in effect "jabbing" the cue instead of delivering the cue with speed (not power) and striking/accelerating through the cue ball.
      I think you asked this question (about tips) in another thread, maybe you should ask about "why am I jumping when trying to deep screw" in the coaching forum, I am sure you will get better, detailed responses from some excellent coaches
      all the best
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

when i miss cue playing deep screw shots its usually because my head lifts up

Comment

Working...
        X