Practice routines you can do in the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
    A good coach will know in the first minute what the individuals strengths/weaknesses are, then that would leave the next 59mins to get you were you wanna be. Have you had coaching?
    I agree, coaching is the mutts nutts but as I said, if you don't then practice regularly and often enough it won't do you any good. Yeah, I've had a couple of coaching sessions, came out of the last one with a few minor things to work on, and a recommendation that all I need is to practice more.
    "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
    - Linus Pauling

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
      I thought I was the Omega Man.
      Showing your age with that comment
      "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
      - Linus Pauling

Comment

Video of Nic using the 360 cue for coaching/training:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKLrR5J88MA
        - Linus Pauling

Comment

not with you!
          Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
          I thought I was the Omega Man.

Comment

I like that but maybe try 6-12 lessons

Originally Posted by Gerry Armstrong View Post
            I agree that practice is pointless unless you are practicing the correct things in the correct manner with a sound technique. Practice makes perfect is totally wrong, practice makes PERMANENT is the correct equation. If you practice over and over and over again cueing across the white you will still be cueing across the white.

If you are serious about improving then arrange even 1 session with a coach who knows what he's talking about and leave all the gadgets, websites and internet forums to the side. They won't help you but the coach will.

Comment

Okay and? Don't worry, we're all friends here

Originally Posted by Belloz22 View Post
              Yes I have had coaching...... and I have my own opinions on the usefulness of it

Comment

Do you have an actual disability? You feel it prevents your development?

Originally Posted by nrage View Post
                I agree, coaching is the mutts nutts but as I said, if you don't then practice regularly and often enough it won't do you any good. Yeah, I've had a couple of coaching sessions, came out of the last one with a few minor things to work on, and a recommendation that all I need is to practice more.
                Last edited by j6uk; 13 May 2013, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Okay and? Don't worry, we're all friends here
                  Belloz, did you punch the coach..Naughty..
                  JP Majestic
                  3/4
                  57"
                  17oz
                  9.5mm Elk

Comment

You might be tempted if he was right behind you and he got a touch to close while you were down on the brown.

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                    Belloz, did you punch the coach..Naughty..

Comment

Do you have an actual disability? You feel it prevents your development?
                      Does lack of spare time count as a disability?

It's clear here that you're baiting me, does it bother you that you're getting no reaction?
                      - Linus Pauling

Comment

Ive got anger issues....... if it isnt threatening to punch small kids it is threatening coaches HAHA

My argument with coaching is the same thing I learnt with my psychogy degree, experimental bias. Basically if you know a coach is watching you, you tend to try harder and do things correctly. But in reality you actually have more problems. For example when you play a proper frame, errors will appear more than constantly potting blues off the spot. Really, a coach should see you in your natural enviroment to get a real idea of your problems.

And ive always found most coaching sessions end up going quickly from technical help to you just potting balls and the coach asking why you played certakn positional shots etc. Yes that helps, but unless your cueing straight first positional play should come 2nd in a coaching session

Comment

Originally Posted by Belloz22 View Post
                          Ive got anger issues....... if it isnt threatening to punch small kids it is threatening coaches HAHA

My argument with coaching is the same thing I learnt with my psychogy degree, experimental bias. Basically if you know a coach is watching you, you tend to try harder and do things correctly. But in reality you actually have more problems. For example when you play a proper frame, errors will appear more than constantly potting blues off the spot. Really, a coach should see you in your natural enviroment to get a real idea of your problems.

And ive always found most coaching sessions end up going quickly from technical help to you just potting balls and the coach asking why you played certakn positional shots etc. Yes that helps, but unless your cueing straight first positional play should come 2nd in a coaching session
                          I've had a similar experience. I saw Terry @ SWSA and my faults all vanished for the lesson and we ended up working on the positional side of things, which I did need to work on it's fair to say. But, next time I practiced my faults were back again.

I think part of the issue is that while a coach can diagnose an issue, you can't really solve it completely in the time allotted, you have to go away and spend hours drilling the changes into your action until they become normal. You might correct it during the lesson, but next time you come to play your brain/body has forgotten and you go back to the old way/fault.

Also, if a coach gave you 10 things to change you'd probably fail to cement any 1 of them because you had too many things to focus on, so a good coach might only give you a single thing or a couple of things to work on.

So... you need to see the same coach over a period of time and spend the intervening time practicing those specific fault areas while at the same time not ignoring the rest of your game.
                          - Linus Pauling

Comment

I was being serious. I have witnessed and know personally people who play the game to a quite a good level, in wheelchairs, missing limbs, walking sticks, one eye an so on.. Maybe not so common in NZ

Originally Posted by nrage View Post
                            Does lack of spare time count as a disability?

It's clear here that you're baiting me, does it bother you that you're getting no reaction?

Comment

I was being serious. I have witnessed and know personally people who play the game to a quite a good level, in wheelchairs, missing limbs, walking sticks, one eye an so on.. Maybe not so common in NZ
                              Snooker isn't so common in NZ, sadly. It's relegated to RSA (retired servicemen) clubs. You get the odd pool hall but never snooker. In fact, I didn't "discover" snooker until I came to the UK ~5 years ago. I arrived just in time to watch Selby lose to Higgins in the WC final (while I was job hunting).

No, other than a bum knee from football and a weak back (mild form or schumans disease or similar) I am fairly healthy. The issue for me is simply not enough hours in a day and too many other responsibilities (work, family, etc). I have no doubt that if I had the time I would improve. I've always been better than my mates at pool and I've never met a sport/game I was bad at .. of course, in my youth I had 20+ hours in which to play the various sports I enjoyed; football (outdoor/indoor), cricket (outdoor/indoor), volleyball, hockey, karate, ... those days are long gone however and I'm not as fit as I was, as evidenced by how sore I am after a game of cricket these days.
                              - Linus Pauling

Comment

Imagine a pro on the pro tour with one eye. The Rocket v Cyclops, haha. And what about some dude beating Ronnie in a wheelchair, Ronnie would surely slash there tires.
                                JP Majestic
                                3/4
                                57"
                                17oz
                                9.5mm Elk

Comment

Working...
                                X