cue grain 'arrows'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cue grain 'arrows'

I have recently bought a new cue after my old faithful was stolen my old cue didnt actually have the arrow type grain across the top of the cue but my new one does.
    I am just wondering how this can help.
    Is it purely just a useful aiming aid or can it help diagnose some cue action problems? Which i obviously dont have so it is theroretical lol

Originally Posted by rightoncue89 View Post
    I have recently bought a new cue after my old faithful was stolen my old cue didnt actually have the arrow type grain across the top of the cue but my new one does.
    I am just wondering how this can help.
    Is it purely just a useful aiming aid or can it help diagnose some cue action problems? Which i obviously dont have so it is theroretical lol
    you have to get use to it bro! feel it !

Comment

Must admit that the chevrons put me off, and i find myself turning the cue until there's a plain bit of straight grain showing...

Maybe I just need to persevere and stop looking at the damn things instead of where I SHOULD be looking!

Comment

just look at the shots! not cue.. the arrows didnt bother you when you on right focus

Comment

Ahh so it sounds like it could hinder my play rather than help, they dont put me off though as i rarely look at my cue once im happy with where im cueing on the white i focus on the object ball and occationally glance at my tip and the white during back strokes.
          I will just continue to do this rather than put any focus on the grain arrow type things lol

Thanks for your thoughts

Comment

Originally Posted by rightoncue89 View Post
            Ahh so it sounds like it could hinder my play rather than help, they dont put me off though as i rarely look at my cue once im happy with where im cueing on the white i focus on the object ball and occationally glance at my tip and the white during back strokes.
            I will just continue to do this rather than put any focus on the grain arrow type things lol

Thanks for your thoughts
            just keep practice on your new cue and dont worry about the chevs,you will get used to it slowly
            your welcome bud

Comment

Yes forget about what your cue looks like and just try to hold it the same position every shot...the rest will come in time. Good luck !
              Not played for 3 years and itching for a game....11-3-2017.

Comment

Thanks
                I had a good 5 hours on the table today and the new cue is feeling very comfortable. I will be changing the tip from stock to possibly a coutts tip. But the look of the cue isnt bothering me at all now

Comment

Is it true that the weakest part of the cue is the arrows and the reason the pros always have the arrows up is that the vibrations at the hitting point are up and down rather than side to side if the arrows are on the side.

Comment

Originally Posted by pearce View Post
                    Is it true that the weakest part of the cue is the arrows and the reason the pros always have the arrows up is that the vibrations at the hitting point are up and down rather than side to side if the arrows are on the side.
                    No it's not true. Everyone holds their cue where they want to for a myriad of reasons, usually though it's about having the flat of the butt feel comfortable in their hand, and cuemakers usually put the flat on the same side as the arrows, so holding the cue with the flat of the butt on top so as not to interfere with the comfort of the grip would put the arrows on the top, grain on the side.
                    Some players who have had custom cues made for them can specify to the maker just exactly what part of the shaft they wish to look down and where the flat of the butt will be in relation to that when held in the hand.

Trump by the way holds his cue with the grain on the top, arrows on the side, and the dark grain filler that shows up the grain and arrows has been rubbed off by his chin contact

Comment

Working...
                    X