No announcement yet.

Timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I have learned a lot from this topic and the link to the science was great. I was reading last night for a few hours the billiard science and I felt like I should have studied it like ten years ago. Many myths was disclosed.
    Today I went to the club to practice and for the first time in my life I felt like I understood "the timing" or how ever you may call it. I have heard for years about acceleration, follow through, hitting always the chest, but somehow reading the physics of the billiards made me understand more.
    What I felt today when hitting the CB that the reaction of the CB was perfect. You must know in your head or feel how much power you are going to apply when hitting. It is all about the speed. You need to have a some kind of an idea in your head, how the CB ball is reacting so you know what is the right speed in various shots. I does not matter if you are just focusing in acceleration if you dont understand/feel the speed.
    I noticed that you are able to hit perfectly at the right moment. If you did not receive the reaction you wanted, you might ask did I hit too hard or too slow. It is all about having a right speed at the moment you hit the CB and that is 1/1000 a second so it´s easy to miss.

Comment

I'm not sure about the eyes role in timing and rhythm if the cue ball only cares about cue speed and accuracy.
      coaching is not just for the pros
      www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

Originally Posted by CoachGavin View Post
        I'm not sure about the eyes role in timing and rhythm if the cue ball only cares about cue speed and accuracy.
        It's possible the timing of the eye pattern could effect the way we accelerate and deliver the cue. I suspect that that contact should be where the accel flattens out.

Comment

Originally Posted by Tiger800 View Post
          It's possible the timing of the eye pattern could effect the way we accelerate and deliver the cue. I suspect that that contact should be where the accel flattens out.
          Snooker is all about hand and eye co-ordination, the eyes keep the cue on line, you can't time the shot without the cue being on line.

This is my belief why the pros are so good, they do this naturally 90% of the time whereas the rest of us do it to a far lesser degree. We occasionally do it for a few minutes at a time and play well and get good breaks but all too soon we fall back into looking elsewhere and miss due to anxiety or lack of concentration and some simply don't have a good enough natural hand/eye co-ordination to do it in the first place and struggle all the time.

I know when I'm in the zone I "see" the object ball so clearly simply because I'm looking at it when I should be.

Comment

i agree . i have read all the posts on nose on the line of aim, foot on the line of aim , what and where is this line ,is it precise line or is it a line in general . i put my left foot on the line i want to send the cue ball to the object ball but miss every time . i am left handed but right eyed so never been consistent in my potting , all i do is get down on the shot with no precise method of foot on line etc .all i do is tip to the white , couple of feathers then look at the point on the object ball i wish to strike before i strike the white , any advice would be great

Comment

Originally Posted by pcb View Post
              i agree . i have read all the posts on nose on the line of aim, foot on the line of aim , what and where is this line ,is it precise line or is it a line in general . i put my left foot on the line i want to send the cue ball to the object ball but miss every time . i am left handed but right eyed so never been consistent in my potting , all i do is get down on the shot with no precise method of foot on line etc .all i do is tip to the white , couple of feathers then look at the point on the object ball i wish to strike before i strike the white , any advice would be great
              Are you in the right thread

Comment

i am , it all about hand to eye to play this game

Comment

Originally Posted by pcb View Post
                  i am , it all about hand to eye to play this game
                  Ok, sorry with your references to the nose thing I thought you were in the wrong thread.
                  Sounds like you are struggling with some of the basics and may need the assistance of a coach, maybe someone on here could help you find one in your area. It's better to learn good habits instead of relearning old bad ones

Comment

Originally Posted by CoachGavin View Post
                    True, but bad eye rhythm can make you deliver the cue badly, so cause -> effect.
                    "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                    - Linus Pauling

Comment

I also beleive the eyes play an important part in timing .

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                        Snooker is all about hand and eye co-ordination, the eyes keep the cue on line, you can't time the shot without the cue being on line.

This is my belief why the pros are so good, they do this naturally 90% of the time whereas the rest of us do it to a far lesser degree. We occasionally do it for a few minutes at a time and play well and get good breaks but all too soon we fall back into looking elsewhere and miss due to anxiety or lack of concentration and some simply don't have a good enough natural hand/eye co-ordination to do it in the first place and struggle all the time.

I know when I'm in the zone I "see" the object ball so clearly simply because I'm looking at it when I should be.
                        I know this a bit of a tangent but this is my bug bear i have with lining the shot up, if its all about hand eye co-ordination and the eyes keep the cue on line, this is the bit i dont understand, on a cut shot when you lock your eyes on the contact point of the ob, your cue is pointing in a different direction, now if your cue follows your eyes and lines up with the contact point you will hit the ob too thick, wont you?.
                        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post

Indeed a very good advice and response. It is all about locking your eyes on the OB ... once you do that while striking you have forgotten about the CB and the cue and only focus on the OB. What is does is that it enables you in smooth cue delivery and I have personally experienced that I play smoothly and do not use extra power on shots and my timing improves and this is the reason why while doing so I have a feeling that the tip is making contact with the CB for a fraction longer.

Tip contacting the CB longer is more of a feeling based timing thing rather than a physical intended action. This is how timing is defined and this is how ZONE is defined... Wow I guess i ahve learnt a lot myself during typing all this
                          "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                            I know this a bit of a tangent but this is my bug bear i have with lining the shot up, if its all about hand eye co-ordination and the eyes keep the cue on line, this is the bit i dont understand, on a cut shot when you lock your eyes on the contact point of the ob, your cue is pointing in a different direction, now if your cue follows your eyes and lines up with the contact point you will hit the ob too thick, wont you?.
                            No, because your brain knows that you're aiming the cue ball not the cue. The cue is simply propelling the cue ball on its way to the correct contact point.
                            Let your eyes give your brain the information it needs and put your trust in your brain to do the rest without having to think about it.

Comment

Working...
                            X