No announcement yet.

Increase in my front pause.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe, its quite deliberate, compact and reliable with an 4-8" backswing. It works well, even better when there's form

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
    Wow, that sounds too busy, for me anyway. I let my chin and right side chest contact point hopefully do that. At this point I am looking at the OB contact point.

Comment

Well done but get over yourself. Yes you can type well and articulate yourself but please "STOP TRYIN TO STICK IT UP US ALL!"

Originally Posted by nrage View Post
      Lets see shall we..

So, first of all Terry shared an opinion.

You rubbished it.

He asked you for your opinion.

You evaded.

He explained where he got the idea, and asked again for your opinion.

You responded with a slight, and again evaded giving your own opinion.

Terry clarified, yet again.

You went back to square one, and still haven't told us what you think on the subject.

So, have you acted in a reasonable fashion? I am inclined to say not entirely.

Terry is here day in and day out trying to help people, putting his ideas and knowledge out there, not so some joker can come along and rubbish them, but so people can actually learn something. As far as I am aware he gets little or no compensation for the hours he puts in on this forum.

It's easy to rubbish something, but takes more courage and skill to put your ideas and opinions out there subject to criticism and do so in a way that people can understand and benefit from them.

So far, from you, we've have criticism and little or no substance beyond "catchy" meaningless phrases. I suggest you ask yourself why you're here? Are you trying to help people or are you just killing time? If the latter, then fine but don't abuse the good will of others because you're a poor substitute.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
        throtts:
        Last night while having a smoke and a cup of tea (out in the garage of course) I thought of a way to do that. If it leads to consistent success I will post it up here as the initial results were amazing (for me). I punched in 9 out of 10 long blues while screwing back to the baulkline or further. If I used the loop bridge I was able to pot the blue and screw back either into the yellow pocket or near to it on the cushion. It involves configuring the grip in such a way that a player cannot tighten it at all except at the end of the delivery and then using only the top of the forefinger and thumb which is used for the whole backswing and delivery. Now if I can just keep those back 3 fingers off the cue during the delivery I think it will work.
        Terry
        Holy moly, Terry,

I hope our Sidd not about..haha..
        JP Majestic
        3/4
        57"
        17oz
        9.5mm Elk

Comment

Bloody hell this thread has went a bit ott.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
            Well done but get over yourself. Yes you can type well and articulate yourself but please "STOP TRYIN TO STICK IT UP US ALL!"
            All? There's just you ATM.. but don't flatter yourself. Nuff said, back to the topic
            "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
            - Linus Pauling

Comment

I thought you went back to the hills to load ya guns but instead you've thrown a bandage

Originally Posted by nrage View Post
              All? There's just you ATM.. but don't flatter yourself. Nuff said, back to the topic
              Last edited by j6uk; 20 May 2013, 09:58 PM.

Comment

I thought you when away to load ya guns
                Respect.
                Nah, had to help the missus make a pinata for my son's 1st birthday
                "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                - Linus Pauling

Comment

nrage - PM on the way shortly

GeordieDS:

It was the other way around. When I was 14 my older cousin took me to the local 'pool room' which had 2 x 12ft tables and 6 9ft tables and he was a pool player himself. At that time (1959) no one here had ever heard of Joe Davis and his book and pool players used to use a front pause only. So that is how I originally learned although I wish I could have gotten a copy of Joe Davis' book and learned a rear pause when I was young.

Recently, I tried to develop a rear pause but it caused me all kinds of timing and rhythm problems and I found I could play much better (and probably more naturally for me) by having an extended front pause, locking the eyes on the object ball, and using a slow backswing which I could control and keep straight. So I gave up on getting a rear pause although I think it's a helpful tool in the technique since after all, except for Mark Allen and Peter Ebdon, all the top pros have some kind of rear pause.

That said, everyone has some kind of a rear pause since the cue has to stop and change direction, but mine is incredibly short and hardly discernible whereas players like ROS and Murphy (and most of the others too) it is easily discernible. I think a rear pause does two things, the first is to disconnect the backswing from the delivery so any errors in the straightness of the backswing are sort of canceled out and secondly it helps the player to drive the cue through the cueball better and more consistently.

The only weird thing I've noted is when I get in the 'zone' which is very rarely these days, I notice I have an automatic rear pause which is discernible. But if I try and concentrate on it everything goes out the window.

Terry
                  Thanks.........i think i need video evidence of how i cue when i'm playing well and what i do differently when i play how i normally do...........i've lost my last 5 matches in the league and turned an 8-3 record into a 10-9 and smashed my cue a couple of weeks ago.
                  It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

GeordieDS:

Well, first of all smashing your cue can be very satisfying it doesn't really help things and besides will cost you money to get another good cue. I can testify I feel like smashing mine from time to time but I have to remember it isn't the cue at all, dammit, IT'S ME!

But to try and get back on point and provide a little advice for you I would very highly recommend every player who is trying to play better to arm themselves with a decent video camera, a tripod and perhaps an extra light. I assume if you don't own a camera you can either borrow or rent one, a tripod costs less than 20GBP and any light which you can adjust will get some lighting on the grip hand side of the body.

When you have a video, download 'Kinovea' which is freeware and watch your video frame-by-frame. You can even draw persistent lines and other things with this system and without a doubt it will show you exactly what's happening with your technique and point out to you where you need correction or improvement. I have a full setup here and I have to admit I don't use it enough on myself and I should be because I also have a high-speed camera which I have yet to use (I've had the damned thing a year now) just because I'm always working on something and plus I'm lazy.

Get a camera. You'll realize lots of benefits.

Terry
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

For nrage and everyone else who might think I get compensated somehow by Ferret for providing lots of coaching on here.

Let me say I do NOT get any compensation at all, however when I come to the UK sometimes I will get students who know of me from TSF and book a coaching session. In addition, there are some Canadian members who see my comments on here and book lessons at my facility.

I think what I do on here is some minor form of marketing I guess.

Terry
                      Terry Davidson
                      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

.. however when I come to the UK sometimes I will get students who know of me from TSF and book a coaching session. In addition, there are some Canadian members who see my comments on here and book lessons at my facility.

I think what I do on here is some minor form of marketing I guess.
                        This is what I was implying/suggesting. Any benefit you do get is indirect and relies on you actually giving good advice, so it's ultimately win-win for all of us.
                        - Linus Pauling

Comment

As you know yourself, the last thing you wanna do when you've focused on the object ball is to have the cue hanging around to long on the backswing, so you could be doing the right thing.. Maybe depending on the length of your over-hang, you could change the tempo and even speed-up your backswing

Recently, I tried to develop a rear pause but it caused me all kinds of timing and rhythm problems and I found I could play much better (and probably more naturally for me) by having an extended front pause, locking the eyes on the object ball, and using a slow backswing which I could control and keep straight. So I gave up on getting a rear pause although I think it's a helpful tool in the technique since after all, except for Mark Allen and Peter Ebdon, all the top pros have some kind of rear pause.

Terry

Comment

As you know yourself, the last thing you wanna do when you've focused on the object ball is to have the cue hanging around to long on the backswing
                            Definitely, hanging around too long at full back takes you into the territory of .. "well, now when do I deliver the cue..?".

You need some sort of cue (no pun intended) so that the moment of delivery feels right, and natural, and not forced and robotic. Eye movement is a good cue, as is IMO simply having a nice gradual deceleration to the full back position coupled with a nice gradual acceleration forward again.
                            - Linus Pauling

Comment

GeordieDS:

Well, first of all smashing your cue can be very satisfying it doesn't really help things and besides will cost you money to get another good cue. I can testify I feel like smashing mine from time to time but I have to remember it isn't the cue at all, dammit, IT'S ME!

But to try and get back on point and provide a little advice for you I would very highly recommend every player who is trying to play better to arm themselves with a decent video camera, a tripod and perhaps an extra light. I assume if you don't own a camera you can either borrow or rent one, a tripod costs less than 20GBP and any light which you can adjust will get some lighting on the grip hand side of the body.

When you have a video, download 'Kinovea' which is freeware and watch your video frame-by-frame. You can even draw persistent lines and other things with this system and without a doubt it will show you exactly what's happening with your technique and point out to you where you need correction or improvement. I have a full setup here and I have to admit I don't use it enough on myself and I should be because I also have a high-speed camera which I have yet to use (I've had the damned thing a year now) just because I'm always working on something and plus I'm lazy.

Get a camera. You'll realize lots of benefits.

Terry

Thanks i will give this a try
                              It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
                                Thanks i will give this a try
                                The cheap option, assuming you have a reasonable mobile with a reasonable camera is to get a Joby Goriallapod with mobile attachment(s). You can mount it directly over any pocket, or off any nearby furniture/railings/etc.

It does help to have the place well lit, I tend to throw open all the curtains at my social club but that might be a bit harder at a snooker club where they tend to keep things fairly dimly lit in many cases.
                                - Linus Pauling

Comment

Working...
                                X