finding YOUR grip: my method that may help others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding YOUR grip: my method that may help others

I have been having problems with the grip for quite some time and most people on the forum know that. I had a sound grip before but then someone hinted out that I keep it loose so I need to tighten the grip upon completion of the shot. That single comment ruined my life for good. The player who commented this has not even achieved a 50 break yet. I was fool enough to follow his words and in the process I started tightening the grip unintentionally and hence my game ruined and I went bonkers.

Then I came to this forum.. Many people and above all Terry Davidson helped me a lot in understanding the grip formation and pressure. Some people for whom grip comes naturally think its a piece of cake but for people like me its a challenge. Anyway, I kept going on. Tried different grip configurations faltered and failed and tried again. Recently I found out my ideal grip configuration and funnily its a configuration that only works when i am not thinking what configuration I have as long as I can keep it loose enough

So for me it was the grip pressure and that same old comment that made me tighten the grip and under pressure I would tighten it even without noticing it.

Now to the point of concern. I was practicing yesterday and trying to get to the grip. My formation is with first finger and thumb with the force coming only from upper thumb and upper forefinger. However, the pressure is something that is hard to get to. So I learnt something from practice yesterday which gave me an idea as to what should be the correct pressure of the grip practically throughout the stroke.

I will try to explain to those who want to know what is a good grip pressure for them. I am attaching a picture that I drew in order to explain better.

snooked.png
    Set up the above on a practice table. You are taking a three quarters black off its spot and attempting to get a position on the red next to it. You cant stun, follow, plain ball strike the cue ball and the only way is a soft screw shot. All other shots will cannon the white in to the red. You have to avoid the cannon. Now in order to play this shot with soft screw and avoid the cannon you have to play it gently (slow shot) but a complete shot with follow through... you have to have a nice loose grip in order to achieve this. any jerk tight grip pressure will not draw the cue ball to the desired position without cannoning the red.

If you can achieve this on a slow gently screw shot and end high on the red as shown ... know that you have played it with the right grip pressure... at least this gave me an idea of the correct grip form and pressure otherwise just a fraction more pressure than required you would either miss the black or cannon the red or not finish high on the red... with the correct pressure you will achieve this shot. I kept this pressure in mind and played my match properly and won

If you play it with proper grip pressure and follow through i.e. complete shot without fear you will finish high on the red with ease... remember the power of this stroke on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being highest power) this shot is played at a power of 3.

Hope this helps...!!!
    "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Sidd (and everyone else who reads):

I think Steve Davis gave us a sure-fire method to learn the correct grip pressure and that is if you can slide the butt of the cue within the grip using the other hand. What Steve didn't add is the same grip pressure must remain throughout the backswing and delivery up until the grip hand hits the chest.

Where this statement also gets a little difficult to understand is on a long backswing where the back 3 fingers should be pushed out of the way, however you still have the upper part of the thumb and forefinger 'holding' the cue.

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Some great points there Sidd thanks, very helpful. I used to use a varnished Cue Craft cue and since moving to an oiled cue I sometimes feel the cue will drop out of my hand and thus have tightened up and ruined my own game, maybe I just need a few hours of tinkering and after reading this I need it soon!
      "It might not be on stats or titles but in terms of talent and the ability to play snooker erm......he's the best" Hendry's humbled words on Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Comment

This is more of an position and strength control exercise than grip pressure.

As terry has pointed out. Steve Davis has explained it very clearly about "pressure"

Comment

Anybody have a link to the Steve Davis thing regarding grip? Or is it on DVD?

Comment

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKtSM7aISc0

Comment

Cheers - I'd seen that one, but thought there might have been another.

Comment

theres a bit here http://www.fcsnooker.co.uk/coaching/...p/the_grip.htm but its not a video

Comment

Saw that too Good site, that.

Comment

Great post, Sidd.

You can get on that black to pot it in the opposite corner pocket with a run through striking to come off the side cushions to fall on it nicely. I have potted many balls like this and with practice you can judge the strike to miss these close canons, even to get on the next shot not using a cushion, nice little delicate shots though.
                    JP Majestic
                    3/4
                    57"
                    17oz
                    9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by humperdingle View Post
                      Anybody have a link to the Steve Davis thing regarding grip? Or is it on DVD?
                      Here you go bud..... I'm pretty sure this what Terry is on about, well worth a read.

http://computing.dcu.ie/~omacfh/dump...og_archive.pdf
                      Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                      Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Hi,
                        Great in depth post. I have a few questions: Do you work with your hands? Does your hand feel small in comparison to the end of the cue and what's the dims of your cue butt?
                        The main reason to ask is because the butt of the cue could be to fat of your hand or, the opposite, the hand could be overlapping itself for the butt being to thin..

Originally Posted by Sidd View Post
                        I have been having problems with the grip for quite some time and most people on the forum know that. I had a sound grip before but then someone hinted out that I keep it loose so I need to tighten the grip upon completion of the shot. That single comment ruined my life for good. The player who commented this has not even achieved a 50 break yet. I was fool enough to follow his words and in the process I started tightening the grip unintentionally and hence my game ruined and I went bonkers.
                        Last edited by j6uk; 24 May 2013, 09:42 PM.

Comment

I read Ray Reardons Classic Snooker book many years ago and in it he said that the grip must be firm but not tight. Pick up the cue the same as you would a hammer or poker and hold it in the same manner.

I worked as a roofer for a couple of weeks once in my youth and so I had to use a hammer for many hours a day. Being accurate with a hammer is very important when working as a roofer otherwise many, many slates and tiles are going to get broken.
                          What I learned was to use my middle finger as a medium pressure fulcrum with the other fingers very loose and the hammer rocked to and fro across the fulcrum enabling a very accurate strike, eyes on the nail at all times (hand and eye co-ordination again).
                          My middle finger grip on my cue is very much the same with the exception that it releases the pressure on the longer backswing required for power shots.

I know some of you will say that this is wrong but hey! horses for courses and all that.

Comment

I have an older Steve Davis coaching tape around here somewhere, probably buried...but on that tape Steve demonstrates grip pressure by holding the grip hand still and moving the cue butt back and forth through the grip using his left hand.

I was also aware of his blog on My Space and did ask him once if he had any ideas on getting a rear pause, and his idea was to watch the ferrule come back and then move the eyes which he felt would give me an automatic rear pause. I tried it, but it didn't work for me at all as it threw me right off my timing. Probably a case of 'can't teach an old dog new tricks'.

I will say though, reading over the link posted here by coomsey that Steve's discussion on the Alex Higgins back 3 fingers grip is interesting. I've tried that and it does seem to help as long as you don't grip TOO tight.

Terry
                            Terry Davidson
                            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                              I have an older Steve Davis coaching tape around here somewhere, probably buried...but on that tape Steve demonstrates grip pressure by holding the grip hand still and moving the cue butt back and forth through the grip using his left hand.
                              There you go Terry.

A very relaxed grip. Hardly holding the cue at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X