Just had a go at the 'Baulk Line' test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just had a go at the 'Baulk Line' test

I do love this forum, it is so bloomin helpful!!

I have read a number of times recently where members have mentioned checking their cue action by utilising the baulk line as a guide.

I had a go at this yesterday and was a little surprised at the outcome. I started the test with my cue tip directly above the baulk line and I also finished with my tip directly above the line, so far so good methinks.

However, on closer examination I noticed that as I pushed my cue forward there is the tiniest 'wobble' of the cue as it traversed the line. This movement is barely discernible but is definitely there and, although my cue starts and finishes 'on the line' there is this little 'jiggle' on its way. This movement is so small that it probably wouldn't even be noticed by someone standing beside me.

I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this when trying this 'test' and if so, how have they overcome it.

Enjoy the sunshine, it may not last long!!!!

When I first started playing my cue action was pretty horrendous and my arm moved about quite a bit although I still somehow managed to cue relatively straight on delivery. I used your test quite often before I started a practice session.

I found that the reason for my 'wobble' was too few points of contact at the time 2, bridge and grip. I found that by changing my stance to accomodate the cue brushing against my chest and chin comfortably helped a lot. I use it as a guide to deliver the cue straight every time, well at least thats what I try to do. lol

Comment

Any sideways movement in the cue comes from the grip and hand, or perhaps the wrist joint. In addition to getting the cue on the chest also loosen your grip right down.

Do this as a test to see if it eliminates the wobble. The forearm usually goes straight and it's the grip which influences the butt of the cue and normally, although players THINK they have a nice relaxed grip they usually have a grip which is too tight to begin with and gets tighter as they backswing and deliver, especially on power shots

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Never knew about this method, I will certainly be giving it a go .
        Thanks

Comment

My coach always told me keep my cue off my chest ??

Comment

belloz:
            However, there is the danger when the cue is tight to the chest of the player steering the cue around the chest to get more follow-through, especially on power shots. So it's a bit of a trade-off.

Note that Judd Trump has the cue so tight to the chest and chin on power shots that he bends the cue and I believe he uses this to keep the cue perfectly straight during delivery on a power shot.

Terry
            Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
              belloz:
              However, there is the danger when the cue is tight to the chest of the player steering the cue around the chest to get more follow-through, especially on power shots. So it's a bit of a trade-off.

Note that Judd Trump has the cue so tight to the chest and chin on power shots that he bends the cue and I believe he uses this to keep the cue perfectly straight during delivery on a power

Terry
              I always felt more comfy with the cue on my chest...... but coach said I shouldnt...... but since I startes loosening my grip I feel im cueing straighter. May try cheat again

Comment

belloz:

I had more info in my post above but for some reason it didn't go up. The 'cue on chest' technique is something Del Hill advocates as it gives a 4th contact point and as Del says, 'provides a channel for the cue and straighter delivery'.

Nic Barrow advocates the cue just barely touching the chest as he feels the danger of steering the cue around the chest is a fault common in most players who have the cue on the chest, but with a nice loose grip which stays loose through the strike I don't feel there should be a problem and the player can cue straight.

Terry
                Terry Davidson

Comment

When I do the baulk line, I'll get that wobble for the first minute or so. For me its not timing the cue well.. As for the contact points, I look at it as, when I'm cueing, I'm kinda stopping an A4 piece of paper from dropping on the floor, that's the touch I will have on my cue. This will all come from cueing from the elbow. enjoy

Originally Posted by bluenose1940 View Post
                  I do love this forum, it is so bloomin helpful!!

I have read a number of times recently where members have mentioned checking their cue action by utilising the baulk line as a guide.

I had a go at this yesterday and was a little surprised at the outcome. I started the test with my cue tip directly above the baulk line and I also finished with my tip directly above the line, so far so good methinks.

However, on closer examination I noticed that as I pushed my cue forward there is the tiniest 'wobble' of the cue as it traversed the line. This movement is barely discernible but is definitely there and, although my cue starts and finishes 'on the line' there is this little 'jiggle' on its way. This movement is so small that it probably wouldn't even be noticed by someone standing beside me.

I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this when trying this 'test' and if so, how have they overcome it.

Enjoy the sunshine, it may not last long!!!!

Comment

Other good ways to test your cueing - is to play the cue ball up and down over the spots with backspin

Comment

i believe the cue should be running along the chest aswell to help straight cueing. But just grazing the chest not digging into the chest. As for the wobble at the end of ur delivery, you are probably gripping too tight at the end of the delivery and this is causing the wobble. Try delivering with a looser grip especially at the end when you are coming to the stopping point at the chest. Just remember you do no need to grip the cue aggressively at all. Try putting the blue ball on its spot and the white on the same line and try and screw the white back into the opposite middle bag, but just hold the cue with your thumb and forefinger very lightly and you will find that you will probably screw the white no problem which proves u do not need a tight grip at all.

all the best chris small
                      www.ChrisSmallSnookerCoaching.co.uk

Comment

Originally Posted by chrissmall147 View Post
                        i believe the cue should be running along the chest aswell to help straight cueing. But just grazing the chest not digging into the chest. As for the wobble at the end of ur delivery, you are probably gripping too tight at the end of the delivery and this is causing the wobble. Try delivering with a looser grip especially at the end when you are coming to the stopping point at the chest. Just remember you do no need to grip the cue aggressively at all. Try putting the blue ball on its spot and the white on the same line and try and screw the white back into the opposite middle bag, but just hold the cue with your thumb and forefinger very lightly and you will find that you will probably screw the white no problem which proves u do not need a tight grip at all.

all the best chris small
                        I reported greatly improved results in my earlier thread entitled "Is I chuffed or is I chuffed" whereby I totally modified my grip to a much looser one, just holding the cue between my thumb and first two fingers. This improved my potting enormously and also helped me with your suggestion of potting the blue off its spot and screwing the white back into the opposite pocket. With the new grip, I couldn't miss! So I don't think that it is my grip that is causing this minute wobble. The wobble really is so very slight.

Comment

Working...
                        X