No announcement yet.

High Blacks Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you can't look at the table and instinctively know the line of aim or the contact point, I would say you have a problem which cannot be resolved.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
      If you can't look at the table and instinctively know the line of aim or the contact point, I would say you have a problem which cannot be resolved.
      For most people the problem can be resolved, it's typically lack of practice or lack of focus. Finding the contact point is easy, finding the line of aim isn't hard, but it's not as well defined, hitting it is the hard part - if it wasn't we'd all be making 147s.
      "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
      - Linus Pauling

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
        I'd agree here.

He's already said he spends 3-4 hours a week trying to pot these blacks and is still having trouble.
        WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
        Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
        --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Only thing I can suggest is if your having a bad patch say on the black then go and look full ball on the black ( or any object ball ) to pin point the contact, then when going back to the white fixate on that contact point throughout right to the when you drop down. You should drop straight down on the line. Do not micro adjust when down on your stick trust yourself, keep still on the shot and you should or will be amazed. You must beat your inner anxieties, hit with conviction and confidence.
          JP Majestic
          3/4
          57"
          17oz
          9.5mm Elk

Comment

This is why I believe the ghost ball makes for a more accurate way to determine the line of aim than using the imaginary spot called BOB. I believe it's easier for anyone to imagine another cueball in the plant position and then aiming the cue for the centre of that imaginary cueball.

I have had some comments back (like from Sidd) who say they cannot use ghost ball but I believe anyone who ever picked up a cue started using ghost ball whether they realized or not.

Terry
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

At the mo Terry when aiming I use a "ghost line" ( if you like ) going to the bob on the object ball. Just come off my Star again and really fixated on that line with great effect, or maybe I am just cueing well at present. I think when one looses concentration or confidence this when we probably are not using our aiming method properly or at least we think we are..
              JP Majestic
              3/4
              57"
              17oz
              9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                There is a map/guide to help you in potting angles. If you put the white on the cushion parallel with the black and pink spot, so you've got a low and a high black, then potting the black will be the same angle at 3/4 ball. If you put the white high on the black in line with the middle pocket, potting the black will be 1/4 ball no?
                The table is your friend and there to help

Do you know the black routine?
                i've not heard of this one, and i'm not sure what u mean by putting the white parallel with the black and pink spot but on the cushion. where exactly are u referring to top cushion side cushion?

i usually set up sometimes 3/4 , 1/2 and 1/4 ball by hand i then check the line from the white to the cushion just as a reference really, so whenever the white lands high i have some reference how thin or thick the pot is likely to be.

i know some say forget the angle and look at BOB, but at least it gives some sort of idea, i think i use a combination really of arc coverage and bob.

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                  I'd agree here.

He's already said he spends 3-4 hours a week trying to pot these blacks and is still having trouble.
                  its not a matter of trouble, its in consistency. somedays when practicing i can pot 70-80% from different positions, i love to be low on the black as these shots are my favorites, i'm sure you will find some who hate these shots.

i myself dont think its selecting the contact point, that's pretty easy, even the line of aim i can see as well. my issue is a combination getting down on the line of aim and then delivering the cue straight on that line.

as many have commented from the video i uploaded i have some movement when down, this suggests to me i am either not balanced right or not on the correct line so i am trying to adjust.

solving it is another issue, i am sure with lots of practice dedication and commitment which i will definitely put in, i will get there.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                    Do you know the black routine?
                    Please tell me more . . .
                    My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                    I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
                      which one? there are many.

if its the one you mentioned then no

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                        its not a matter of trouble, its in consistency. somedays when practicing i can pot 70-80% from different positions, i love to be low on the black as these shots are my favorites, i'm sure you will find some who hate these shots.
                        Does your consistancy change depending on which side of the table you are playing these high blacks from ?

I ask this because basically whether high or low on the black the angle can sometimes be the same and yet some players can see the high on the black angle better than the low on the black angle or vice versa and I think this could be something to do with the dominant eye.

Take your video alabadi where you are attempting high blacks from the green side of the table and failing on half of them.

(1) Do you pot the same angle from low on the black from the same side of the table better ?
                        (2) Do you pot the same angle high on the black from the yellow side of the table better ?
                        (3) Do you pot the same angle from the yellow side of the table when low on the black better ?

If your answers to questions one & two are yes but your answer to question three is no then it could be that your dominant eye is your left eye and when playing high blacks from the green side of the table and low blacks from the yellow side of the table you approach the shot square on using your right eye and standing slightly differently as a result, not getting down on the correct line and finding it hard to focus on BOB.
                        Wheras playing low blacks from the green side of the table and high blacks from the yellow side of the table you approach the shot using your left eye and fall naturally into your left eye dominant stance and can see BOB clearly as you are using your naturally dominant eye.

If this is indeed the case then make a concerted effort to approach and stand behind all shots with the body turned slightly to the right and the right foot at an angle of 45 degrees to the line on the shot and see if you then fall naturally into your left eye dominant stance on all shots.
                        If you find that this makes a difference then experiment with the angle of the right foot until you find the angle that makes you take your stance in the correct place every time.
                        Last edited by vmax4steve; 12 June 2013, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                          Does your consistancy change depending on which side of the table you are playing these high blacks from ?
                          yes

I ask this because basically whether high or low on the black the angle can sometimes be the same and yet some players can see the high on the black angle better than the low on the black angle or vice versa and I think this could be something to do with the dominant eye.
                          you may be onto something here

(1) Do you pot the same angle from low on the black from the same side of the table better ?
                          Yes, i just seem able to suss the contact point out much easier

(2) Do you pot the same angle high on the black from the yellow side of the table better ?
                          Yes, more often

(3) Do you pot the same angle from the yellow side of the table when low on the black better ?
                          No

If your answers to questions one & two are yes but your answer to question three is no then it could be that your dominant eye is your left eye and when playing high blacks from the green side of the table and low blacks from the yellow side of the table you approach the shot square on using your right eye and standing slightly differently as a result, not getting down on the correct line and finding it hard to focus on BOB.
                          Wheras playing low blacks from the green side of the table and high blacks from the yellow side of the table you approach the shot using your left eye and fall naturally into your left eye dominant stance and can see BOB clearly as you are using your naturally dominant eye.

If this is indeed the case then make a concerted effort to approach and stand behind all shots with the body turned slightly to the right and the right foot at an angle of 45 degrees to the line on the shot and see if you then fall naturally into your left eye dominant stance on all shots.
                          If you find that this makes a difference then experiment with the angle of the right foot until you find the angle that makes you take your stance in the correct place every time.
                          you might be right, i do have a stronger left eye and doing the sighting tests i find that this is the eye i do my sighting with. in the early days i use to put the cue under my left eye, however this use to give me terrible neck/shoulder problems. so over the last two years the cue has moved and now is central.

i think it would be a good test to see if it makes a difference this side on approach, i shall give it a go.

thanks for your comments Vmax much appreciated
                          Last edited by alabadi; 12 June 2013, 10:48 AM.

Comment

alabadi:

To test yourself try this little exercise. Place black on spot and then place the yellow in the exact plant position so the black would be potted to the centre of the pocket opening (meaning just inside the side cushion leather on most tables with maximum room for error). Do this from both sides of the table.

Then place the cueball at various points around the black and get down into the address position and check and see if your cue is pointed to the exact centre of the yellow ball. Start out with the cueball in line with the jaw of the top pocket for the standard cut-back shot and then move it in small increments up towards the pink spot, and then do the same from the other side of the table.

If you feel for every cueball position your cue is pointed at the exact centre of the yellow then you don't have a sighting issue but you must either be moving and adjusting something when down on the table or else not delivering the cue straight. The movement could be something as slight as shifting the hips maybe 5mm right or left which will change the line of the cue and this is a result of you not agreeing with your line of aim when you are sighting along the cue.

In explanation...if a player delivers the cue just slightly right-to-left or left-to-right then on one side of the table he will be overcutting the black slightly but probably still making it sweetly but on the other side of the table he will be undercutting the black slightly and will therefore catch the top cushion jaw and miss the black. If a player does this naturally it might appear as if he has problems making a black from one side of the table (which is true, but only because of a non-straight cue delivery).

I hope that's clear for you.

Terry
                            Terry Davidson
                            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Potting consecutive blacks.

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post

Comment

Thats a great tester, Terry.
                                JP Majestic
                                3/4