High Blacks Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks Terry

i do sometimes after getting frustrated with reapted misses, (mostly undercutting and hitting the top cushion). i grab the yellow and put it in the plant position just to check the angle or actually the arc coverage.
    i don't check aiming alignment to see if i am aiming at the centre of the plant ball, so i think this i will try just to be sure.

Alabbadi

Comment

well just an update, i had a 1 hour coaching session today, the coach work solely on playing smoothly selecting the correct shot and making sure i cue through the cue ball without using any power from my arm.

i almost had to re-train myself from scratch to let the weight of the cue do the work, the day went well overall, my task over the next coming two weeks is to get the feeling of the shot.

i spoke with the coach in regards to my sighting and he explained that its not always sighting, some movement happens because i was selecting the wrong height for the shot so i am putting more power than necessary, which causes anxiety. in effect i was trying to do more than necessary to get position with the white.

so i need to keep it simple, the coach in effect wants me to get into the habit of cueing at the correct height using the correct power to instill confidence in my cueing, then once this is second nature we can move on to other issues.

i have booked him again in two weeks time, i'm hoping to continue 1 hour every two to three weeks, i think it would be good to have a regular coach to work on things rather than once every 6 months or longer.
      Last edited by alabadi; 13 June 2013, 12:48 AM.

Comment

alabadi:

You are doing exactly the right thing

Terry
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

keeping it simple and training smarter not harder is the way forwards.

Comment

If finding the contact point is easy and you don't have a problem with the line of aim then, you should be toning every day with a little bit practice

Originally Posted by nrage View Post
            For most people the problem can be resolved, it's typically lack of practice or lack of focus. Finding the contact point is easy, finding the line of aim isn't hard, but it's not as well defined, hitting it is the hard part - if it wasn't we'd all be making 147s.

Comment

If I put the black on the side cushion so its in line with the black and the pocket, so its a straight pot, the white would be in between the black spot and the pink spot, yes no? Unless your on a really dodgy table Like if you said "okay whats the angle for potting the pink if I put the white between pink and blue on the cush"? I would say 3/4 ball. I could go on around the whole table..
              Anyway I was saying white on the side cush in line with the black and pink spots so you've got the same angle potting the black high and low. This is bread and butter essentials for an improving player.

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
              i've not heard of this one, and i'm not sure what u mean by putting the white parallel with the black and pink spot but on the cushion. where exactly are u referring to top cushion side cushion?

i usually set up sometimes 3/4 , 1/2 and 1/4 ball by hand i then check the line from the white to the cushion just as a reference really, so whenever the white lands high i have some reference how thin or thick the pot is likely to be.

i know some say forget the angle and look at BOB, but at least it gives some sort of idea, i think i use a combination really of arc coverage and bob.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                If I put the black on the side cushion so its in line with the black and the pocket, so its a straight pot, the white would be in between the black spot and the pink spot, yes no? Unless your on a really dodgy table Like if you said "okay whats the angle for potting the pink if I put the white between pink and blue on the cush"? I would say 3/4 ball. I could go on around the whole table..
                Anyway I was saying white on the side cush in line with the black and pink spots so you've got the same angle potting the black high and low. This is bread and butter essentials for an improving player.
                yes I agree that if the white is on the side cushion a straight in shot with the black to the top corner pocket it will be in between black and pink, I think that would be obvious.

but I am not sure what you mean its the same angle on black high and low, if its a straight in shot there is no angle on the black.

where is the low shot? you're confusing me.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk;716319 and some edits via throtts
                  If I put the black towards one of the side cushion's so its in line with the black spot and the pocket, so its a straight pot, the white would be in between the black spot and the pink spot, yes no? Unless your on a really dodgy table Like if you said "okay whats the angle for potting the pink if I put the white between pink and blue on the cush"? I would say 3/4 ball. I could go on around the whole table..
                  Its did sounds tits up, j6....Pardon me for the above edit but is that what you mean..
                  JP Majestic
                  3/4
                  57"
                  17oz
                  9.5mm Elk

Comment

Okay well the white is parallel with the black spot, so its low on the black. Parallel with the pink spot, same angle but high. And in between is the straight shot.

Comment

Talking about this always gets the eyes crossing

Comment

Okay well the white is parallel with the black spot, so its low on the black. Parallel with the pink spot, same angle but high. And in between is the straight shot.
                        is this what you are on about

looking at what you are trying to say again I think this is what you are on about, see image

I think this is something similar to what I mentioned, which is I do use a line from the cueball back to the side cushion to gage what type of cut. obviously the cueball wouldn't land spot on to these points in a game however it just helps with alignment to some degree so at least i can get my body pointing in the correct direction
                        Last edited by alabadi; 13 June 2013, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Yes, understanding and memorizing all these plus the variables will help in recognizing angles in and around the black, as well as the rest of table.

Comment

For most people the problem can be resolved, it's typically lack of practice or lack of focus. Finding the contact point is easy, finding the line of aim isn't hard, but it's not as well defined, hitting it is the hard part - if it wasn't we'd all be making 147s.
                            If finding the contact point is easy and you don't have a problem with the line of aim then, you should be toning every day with a little bit practice
                            Like I said, it's all about practice and I'm not getting any (too many other commitments)
                            Last edited by nrage; 13 June 2013, 10:09 AM.
                            "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                            - Linus Pauling

Comment

Like I said, it's all about practice and I'm not getting any (too many other commitments)
                              yes I think its all about practice, but it has to be quality practice, with certain goals set.

without any real goals practice just becomes un focussed and has no real purpose and eventually gets boring. when targets are set it keeps it interesting, helps with the focus and outcomes can be measured.

I always use the term S.M.A.R.T when setting goals

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                                yes I think its all about practice, but it has to be quality practice, with certain goals set.

without any real goals practice just becomes un focussed and has no real purpose and eventually gets boring. when targets are set it keeps it interesting, helps with the focus and outcomes can be measured.

I always use the term S.M.A.R.T when setting goals
                                You'll get no argument from me As I said in the 80/20 thread (IIRC) if you're doing the same thing again and again, or you lose all structure in your practice and just start hitting balls around then you're not concentrating on those 20% of things which make the 80% difference.
                                "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                                - Linus Pauling

Comment

Working...
                                X