Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
    I always use the term S.M.A.R.T when setting goals
    i.e. goals should be Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely . . .
    My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
    I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

You can all say this and that, keeping still, BOB, correct line of aim etc etc but if you are not cueing straight all that we have ever discussed on this very board is irelevant. I feel some on here blame certain things but if the stick does not go through straight then forget the rest, it might be that you was on line and kept still but that will not compensate for crappy cueing..
      JP Majestic
      3/4
      57"
      17oz
      9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
        You can all say this and that, keeping still, BOB, correct line of aim etc etc but if you are not cueing straight all that we have ever discussed on this very board is irelevant. I feel some on here blame certain things but if the stick does not go through straight then forget the rest, it might be that you was on line and kept still but that will not compensate for crappy cueing..
        Sure. so we should say; cue straight, keep still, BOB, correct line of aim etc etc.
        "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
        - Linus Pauling

Comment

this is why I have decided to get some regular coaching , and my session yesterday was just that, establishing a smooth controlled cue action

Comment

This is the opposite to what I was saying earlier in the thread.

A black from this sort of distance, I could not even bother putting my chin on the cue and still pot it.

My example of this was, if alabadi put the white straight on the black, he wouldn't miss it. Which is why I suggested it was not maybe cueing, and angle misjudgement.

I am not however saying there are no errors with alabadi's cue action and that It cannot be improved.
            WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
            Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
            --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

is this what you are on about

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14041[/ATTACH]

looking at what you are trying to say again I think this is what you are on about, see image
              Sorry if this is stupid but sometimes things get stuck on me.I don't understand any of this learning angles stuff to pot the black, to me there is only one place to hit the black to pot it,learn that,and it doesn't matter where you are if you hit it you pot the black, look at the diagram the contact point is all the same it doesn't matter what angle you are at, am I missing something?.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]14042[/ATTACH]

I think this is something similar to what I mentioned, which is I do use a line from the cueball back to the side cushion to gage what type of cut. obviously the cueball wouldn't land spot on to these points in a game however it just helps with alignment to some degree so at least i can get my body pointing in the correct direction
              Sorry if I'm being stupid but I don't understand ,learn all the angles stuff, the black only has one place on it to pot it learn that and if you hit it you pot the black from any angle at any distance, look at the diagram the place to hit the black is always the same, am I missing the point of this?
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                Sorry if I'm being stupid but I don't understand ,learn all the angles stuff, the black only has one place on it to pot it learn that and if you hit it you pot the black from any angle at any distance, look at the diagram the place to hit the black is always the same, am I missing the point of this?
                I think it depends on how you aim.

If you're picking the contact point (BOB) and subconsciously picking the line of aim i.e. just walking in/down focused on the BOB - then you're relying on your brain knowing where to put the cue to put the white in the plant position to hit the BOB.

You could say you've not learned or used any angles doing this. But, how do you find the BOB?

If you always walk round to the object ball and look at it directly into the pocket to find the BOB, then you walk back to the white keeping your eyes locked on the BOB etc. Then sure, no angles involved in this.

However, I think most people look at the object ball (from behind the white), then the pocket, and either consciously or subconsciously see the angle required to pot it. From that angle, they figure out the BOB. So, the angle required determines the BOB you aim at.

Once you've learned what BOB produces what angle, you're just working backwards from the angle to the BOB each time you aim.
                "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                - Linus Pauling

Comment

Sorry I don't get it at all.I stand behind the white draw a line from pocket through the ob, and where it comes out that's the contact point(, and there's your line of aim,you don't have to walk round the back of the ob,although it doesn't do any harm just to check it if your not sure) for every shot on that side of the table it's the same, no angles no learning, it's the same place all the time.If you learn an angle is it not only any use on that shot? Unless your white lands in that exact spot again what have you learned?.Again I'm sorry if I'm missing the point of this I just like to get things straight in my head.
                  This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                  https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by nrage View Post
                    However, I think most people look at the object ball (from behind the white), then the pocket, and either consciously or subconsciously see the angle required to pot it. From that angle, they figure out the BOB. So, the angle required determines the BOB you
                    This is how I do it. The only time I come round to look at the OB full on to determine the BOB is on shots that are less than 1/4 ball, like a thin black, plus I stay on the stick a fraction longer.
                    JP Majestic
                    3/4
                    57"
                    17oz
                    9.5mm Elk

Comment

throtts Pink

I would also suggest ( if I may ) to only use the actual black when practicing black ball spot potting...Nice jeans mucker haha...

Why is this Throtts?
                      38 in a Tournament
                      98 in a Lineup

Comment

Originally Posted by Leapfrog11
                        Why is this Throtts?
                        For the thin cuts ??..

Because the contact point is not so, full on / visable in your face, its like an insurance thing. Of course, I can see the angle when standing behind the cue ball still. I stay on the stick a touch longer just to fixate on that contact point, insurance again.
                        JP Majestic
                        3/4
                        57"
                        17oz
                        9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by Leapfrog11 View Post
                          throtts Pink

I would also suggest ( if I may ) to only use the actual black when practicing black ball spot potting...Nice jeans mucker haha...

Why is this Throtts?
                          Another post, haha.

I stated the black because I see so many players twitch on it, bit like blackitis if you get my drift. They will whack in the yellow but not the black because its the business end of snooker. But its the correct end of the table and the correct colour for heavy scoring. Also, one might see the angle / BOB on the colour yellow easier. If you are practicing black spot potting then the black ball should be on that spot so its second nature in a match play situation. I would never place any other colour on the black spot for practicing.
                          JP Majestic
                          3/4
                          57"
                          17oz
                          9.5mm Elk

Comment

If you are practicing black spot potting then the black ball should be on that spot so its second nature in a match play situation. I would never place any other colour on the black spot for practicing.
                            If you play billiards, you get lots of practice potting the red off the black spot and I am sure that it helps me pot the black of its spot better in a match situation. Also, you can get more practice in if you get lots of balls and just keep potting them off the black spot rather than getting the black out each time you pot it. Just treat the black like any other red might take some of the 'blackitis' away from a players game.
                            My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                            I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

If you are practicing black spot potting then the black ball should be on that spot so its second nature in a match play situation. I would never place any other colour on the black spot for practicing.
                              i start off with the black, however after a while i get fed up walking around all the time to get it out of the pocket, its really laziness....lol

Comment

Do consecutive blacks in a ticktock fashion, then you'll be potting the black into both pockets, ether running through off straight or off the back cush, plus we don't have to see yourass then

i start off with the black, however after a while i get fed up walking around all the time to get it out of the pocket, its really laziness....lol
                                Last edited by j6uk; 14 June 2013, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X