No announcement yet.

High Blacks Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He did keep his arse still though, j6..haha.

I did a quick black routine yesterday.. Have not done it for quite sometime. If you get the roll throughs just right you can cheat and not use cush. If you discipline yourself and put in a good 2 hour doing it and using the black cush of course it is very beneficial to heavy break building, obviously..
    JP Majestic
    3/4
    57"
    17oz
    9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
      Sorry I don't get it at all.I stand behind the white draw a line from pocket through the ob, and where it comes out that's the contact point(, and there's your line of aim,you don't have to walk round the back of the ob,although it doesn't do any harm just to check it if your not sure) for every shot on that side of the table it's the same, no angles no learning, it's the same place all the time.If you learn an angle is it not only any use on that shot? Unless your white lands in that exact spot again what have you learned?.Again I'm sorry if I'm missing the point of this I just like to get things straight in my head.
      I do the same thing, drawing a line through the object ball

When you draw that imaginary line from pocket through the ball, how do you /know/ where it emerges from the ball (the contact point)? The answer, I believe, is that you let your brain do it subconsciously, right?. The Q then is, what information is it using to do this? The answer, I believe, is the relationship between where you're standing, the object ball, and the pocket - or in other words the distances and/or the angle.

It is true that you don't need an angle to draw a line through the object ball from the pocket, in fact no angle actually exists because you have only 2 points and a line joining them. But, you're not actually physically drawing a line, you have to imagine one, and.. you have to do it from a reference point which is not in line with the line you're imagining but on an angle to it.

So, how does your brain imagine a line? Well.. we don't really know. But, we do know how to tell a computer to do it and the computer needs the angle or ratio of change between the 2 spacial dimensions in order to do it - I started typing out a whole step by step explanation of how a computer does it but it would probably bore most people so I deleted it.

The key point is that an angle is definitely required whether you use it consciously or not and whether it is represented as an angle or simply a ratio between 2 distances - it amounts to the same thing.
      "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
      - Linus Pauling

Comment

Originally Posted by nrage View Post

So, how does your brain imagine a line? Well.. we don't really know.
        I know, I'm imagining a line through a brain right now.

Is that not the same ??

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
          I know, I'm imagining a line through a brain right now.

Is that not the same ??
          Is what not the same (as what?)?
          "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
          - Linus Pauling

Comment

I'm playing snooker tonight. And after reading this thread, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to pot a ball.

BOB, imaginary line, the correct contact point, line from the pocket, line from the object ball, look from behind the black, look from behind the white, the change between two spacial dimensions.

My head might quite literally explode tonight.

Foul!!
            WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
            Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
            --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
              I'm playing snooker tonight. And after reading this thread, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to pot a ball.

BOB, imaginary line, the correct contact point, line from the pocket, line from the object ball, look from behind the black, look from behind the white, the change between two spacial dimensions.

My head might quite literally explode tonight.

Foul!!
              Don't think about this stuff while you're playing, that way lies madness.
              - Linus Pauling

Comment

i played a few frames last night with a mate and was totally screwed thinking too much about different things.

i could hardly string 4-5 shots together, even what i practiced a couple of days ago with a coach keeping the cueing smooth, that very quickly was scrapped. i think i need to do these technique tweaks when i solo practice tomorrow. i will have 5 hours on my own, so i will split it into 2 or three sessions and try and get a few things sorted out.

I'm glad this post has raised many questions and debate points, some very useful and worth giving a go

Alabbadi.

Comment

Working...
                X