Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Spotted Cue Ball

message removed
    Last edited by Leapfrog11; 13 June 2013, 10:28 PM.
    38 in a Tournament
    98 in a Lineup

Maybe it keeps you less distracted from the other dots before your eyes ---- sorry lol just joking couldn't resist:snooker:

Comment

No, keep your dots to yourself and, don't go around contaminating other whites

Originally Posted by Leapfrog11 View Post
      I recently purchased a Cue Ball with dots on it.
      The first thing I did was a line up and knocked in a break of 59.
      For some reason the spotted Cue Ball seems to give me more confidence.
      Can anyone explain why this is?

Comment

The reason the spotted cue ball gave you more confidence is because it has spots on it

How the hell should we know ? you should be telling us.

Comment

Maybe you find it easier to see the spot Seriously tho, having markings on the ball can make aiming at the contact point easier, because you have more reference points. So, perhaps your confidence was higher because you were more sure of your aiming.
          "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
          - Linus Pauling

Comment

How? How on earth can spots on a cue ball, or any ball, help in aiming or give a player any references on ether ball?
            You tongue in cheeky again?

Originally Posted by nrage View Post
            Maybe you find it easier to see the spot Seriously tho, having markings on the ball can make aiming at the contact point easier, because you have more reference points. So, perhaps your confidence was higher because you were more sure of your aiming.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
              How? How on earth can spots on a cue ball, or any ball, help in aiming or give a player any references on ether ball?
              You tongue in cheeky again?
              First part was, second part starting "Seriously tho" was not.

You hear American pool players talk about it occasionally, the balls there have markings on them (spots or stripes) and if the contact point happens to land on one, then you can very easily see/concentrate on it. If the contact point lands near one, you can use it as a reference.

You don't /need/ markings, but they could help - especially a beginner - in learning the angles/contact point for various pots.

I have a laser pointer and I've often wondered if I should make a little mount for it (and perhaps a remote control). So, I could place it on the table pointing directly into the black pocket (for example) place the black on the spot, and have the laser pinpoint the contact point.

This would be useful if you wanted to practice simply trying to hit a known/valid contact point - rule out aiming as an issue, and just leave getting down on the correct line, and delivering the cue.

If I had a remote control you could go one step further, for example .. Turn the laser off, then aim and get down as per normal, focus on the contact point you have chosen then turn the laser on and double check it.

Could be quite neat.
              "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
              - Linus Pauling

Comment

Could be a better quality ball,than the club white so you controlled it better.
                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

no no and no..
                  Everyone! Don't listen, they no not what they do!!

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                  Could be a better quality ball,than the club white so you controlled it better.

Comment

I don't want to start you off but, you said you only had a bendy cue and a marked white?!

I have a laser pointer and I've often wondered if I should make a little mount for it (and perhaps a remote control). So, I could place it on the table pointing directly into the black pocket (for example) place the black on the spot, and have the laser pinpoint the contact point..

Comment

I have a laser pointer and I've often wondered if I should make a little mount for it (and perhaps a remote control). So, I could place it on the table pointing directly into the black pocket (for example) place the black on the spot, and have the laser pinpoint the contact point.

This would be useful if you wanted to practice simply trying to hit a known/valid contact point - rule out aiming as an issue, and just leave getting down on the correct line, and delivering the cue.

If I had a remote control you could go one step further, for example .. Turn the laser off, then aim and get down as per normal, focus on the contact point you have chosen then turn the laser on and double check it.

Could be quite neat.
                      Jeez man, you over think everything !!!!
                      Just get on the table more often and play the game, you will soon learn what to do, practice is all that is required, not a physics degree

Comment

But lasers are soooooo coooool !!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by old school View Post
                          But lasers are soooooo coooool !!!!
                          True lol, must get one

Comment

I feel for the lad cus, he ain't got time to play!!
                            Its not something I would do but I guess its exploring the game through toys.

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                            Jeez man, you over think everything !!!!
                            Just get on the table more often and play the game, you will soon learn what to do, practice is all that is required, not a physics degree

Comment

You hear American pool players talk about it occasionally, the balls there have markings on them (spots or stripes) and if the contact point happens to land on one, then you can very easily see/concentrate on it. If the contact point lands near one, you can use it as a reference.
                              That's how I learned to pot balls using spots and stripes playing pool. It works a treat as 99% of the time you do have a definate reference point that is easy to focus on.
                              How on earth a spotted cue ball helps anyone though is beyond me.

Comment

Working...
                              X